Good Size SSD For Programming.

Pages: 12
What Size SSD Is Good For Programming?
Aren't they all?
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
I think some brands have a higher failure rate than others, not sure on this but I know some people don't recommend certain brands of SSD.
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
I would say around 100GB or more. Also, I prefer to use SanDisk.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
bc, GTFO. That's utter bullsh*t.

*unless you're joking*
Last edited on
bc87 is clearly just trolling...
He is. He responded to a comment, and this was it.

http://prntscr.com/1r3tiz
The benefit of SSD is just loading speed so something big enough to put your operating system on and your preferred choice of compiler will greatly speed up your OS and your work
I haven't even been able to use 100GB on all my computers combined, I don't know what work you're doing or if you're downloading movies or what, but 100GB is definitely the largest I would ever need. Maybe in a decade or so I will need 90GB, but not now.
Last edited on
LB wrote:
I haven't even been able to use 100GB on all my cpmputers combined, I don't know what work you're doing or if you're downloading movies or what, but 100GB is definitely the largest I would ever need. Maybe in a decade or so I will need 90GB, but not now.
First off,

computers* ;)

And you must not use your computer often. I guess it's just the younger generation.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
I guess it's just the younger generation.
were in the same generation. i have many friends that are into computers and am taking a class on computer diagnostics, maitnence, repair, etc, and none of us hit a 100 gigs. (i do have a terabyte but i think i only top 50 when im storing a client backup on my laptop). its just because we r smart with our memory (not saying ur not, but just i just dont see too many computers topping 100 gigs and i look at them almost every day).
@LB Maybe I was off (Now that I think about it, I don't why I said that for just programming). But, I have used up over 300GB with all of my stuff.
I never hit 100 gigs with programming.

I'm talking about normal PC usage.
I have something like 2TB of stuff on my pc. I just like to keep everything. One day I might want to use it again.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
 I never hit 100 gigs with programming.

I'm talking about normal PC usage. 
so was i. im the only programmer i know.

I have something like 2TB of stuff on my pc. I just like to keep everything. One day I might want to use it again.
extremely rare. ive only seen that on one personal computer and then on the database where i interned
Indeed. I don't know anyone with even 1TB, external disks included.
extremely rare. ive only seen that on one personal computer and then on the database where i interned

My dad has over 2TB on his pc, and some external hard drives (the external drives are mostly copies though).

EDIT: He doesn't program.
Last edited on
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I have a terabyte drive... I store all of my music and movies on there but I still can't max it out. I'm up to around 800 or so right now.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I have a 1TB drive on my Desktop along with a 250gb SSD and the SDD is at the max and got about 700gb used on the normal hard drive. Then I got my NAS server which has two 3TB drives in it running in Raid 1 and they have about 1.5TB of data on it.

I don't think it is really rare to top 1TB of data for everything you use. For me most of that storage is games/music and movies.
Last edited on
Right now i'm using 267GB, but I don't just use my pc for programming.
In fact, excluding games, it goes down to 90GB.
Pages: 12