What's your age ?

Pages: 1234567
Lumpkin wrote:
I hate when people say there is no such thing as an American

People always hate the truth.
Lumpkin wrote:
By that logic everyone is from Africa.

There is the pointless falsehood that gets people to ignore your posts.

There is no such thing as an American is true because all of our family histories can be traced to another country. Though, you could also debate there is no such thing as an American because an would imply singular and there is in fact a North America and South America. After all, a pregnant Mexican can cross the border and have the child here, and due to our laws the baby would be 'an American' while the mother would be an illegal immigrant. Though, if you recall history everyone here was an immigrant, and even the Native-American Indians were nomads that migrated and weren't really from what is North America now.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
closed account (N36fSL3A)
There is the pointless falsehood that gets people to ignore your posts.
And how is that false. Everybody is an immigrant in ever country, besides in some country in Africa which I can't remember.

Everyone else is just related a nomad that migrated to another part of the world.
Last edited on
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
yeah bhx your the one whos wrong. Being of a nationality is just an idea at the core. it has nothing to do where you are from or go to. Being american is a n idea, not a geographical certainty
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Hmm so I guess nations are not real who would have known. :/ Atleast I don't have to apply for citizenship anymore.
Last edited on
Nations only exist as long as you believe in them. Just like Fiat money.

Atleast I don't have to apply for citizenship anymore.
As long as the executive branch believes this is a nation, we have to apply. (Or, get shot or deported forcefully)
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Sigh its like a bad disease that wont go away.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
i sense a current of sarcasm zereo. in case im right, let me expand. its like family. a lot of my family isnt actually my family. i have many friends, who are in varying degrees of becoming citizens but remind me of what it is to be american
@Zereo
There's no point in fighting doublespeak from the hoi polloi. Logic infuriates them because it makes no sense.

On an (unrelated) related note: anyone see Mystery Men? It's a really awful movie, but it has it's moments. There's the Sphinx, whose mind is so sharp he can cut guns in half. But everything he says is circular reasoning koans.
Last edited on
Whoops. I meant Nations only have WORTH, just like fiat money. (Or anything of 'value' in that case.)
thast what botheres me about patriotism, why stop at your country what about your hemisphere of earth or how about the hospital where you were born or your county or people who come from a place you never been but they are most likley to think like you, or your planet or even the solar system? people are all pretty alike...part from the psychopaths or irresponsible powerful people, who I do not think are like us.
DTSCode wrote:
yeah bhx your the one whos wrong. Being of a nationality is just an idea at the core. it has nothing to do where you are from or go to. Being american is a n idea, not a geographical certainty

When did I start debating nationality? I was saying why the saying "No one is American" was accurate.

Lumpkin wrote:
And how is that false. Everybody is an immigrant in ever country, besides in some country in Africa which I can't remember.

It is a falsehood, just like that sentence. There is no way to say where people migrated from with a 100% accuracy. Just like you can't prove that some province in Africa has no immigrants (unless it is a province built entirely on incest).

North American history says Christopher Columbus discovered it (though I'm sure other had discovered it before). Britain had 13 colonies here (that history shows eventually became the United States after wars, expansion, and land acquisitions). During the building of our country we brought people for slave labor from everywhere (Africa, China, Russia, etc). This is why America is called the melting pot. We have cultures here from all over the world. During slavery and after families we brought over here for slave labor would bring their families over here. Not to mention, to this day there are still underground 'organizations' that bring people over here with false promises just to get cheap labor out of them.
When did I start debating nationality? I was saying why the saying "No one is American" was accurate.

Pedantically, the statement should be "No one is of American ancestry" which is an entirely different thing than saying "No one is American" which, by virtue of it's ambiguity, may also refer to American citizens or inhabitants of the Americas who are, by definition, American.
Pedantically, the statement should be "No one is of American ancestry" which is an entirely different thing than saying "No one is American" which, by virtue of it's ambiguity, may also refer to American citizens or inhabitants of the Americas who are, by definition, American.

exactly my thoughts. "No one is American" is such a vague statement. There is a (north) American culture, country, etc.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I am said to be a Coventrian because I was born in the city of Coventry.
I am said to be English because Coventry is in England.
I am said to be British because England is part of Great Britain.
I am Said to be European because Great Britain is part of Europe.

I say I am me because all that tribalism is unimportant to me.
I don't think that a single reply in Irish should give rise to racism, nationality or whatever.
that's nice grey wolf, that was a better way of saying it, im not and never will be eloquent, not deliberately anyway.

I just remembered tho, that I love Devonian tribalism and that I am a massive hypocrite, the name Devonrevenge is supposed to be some kind of Devon nationalistic slogan of some kind, everyone thinks its a a gay romance novel though, this is annoying and I hope to be more famouse than the book.

I might be doing well I allready have a sandwich named after me (its creator) in the barrel house in totnes, I have been gone for 5 years and it still exists!
Where you were born and where you live is less important than the culture or cultures you identify with.

If you were raised in India, by Indian parents; went to Indian schools; watched Indian bollywood, etc, would it not make sense to call yourself Indian?

I was born here in the USA, but my family is largely Irish, and much of that culture is part of my life. Along with the ambient American cultures. Hence, I may justly consider myself to be Irish-American. I was raised in the West. It doesn't bother me when people call me a cowboy (I'm not), but that is still part of my socio-economic self.

In no way does any of this make me less me.

Labels are only a problem when they convey false information.
There's a family tradition that I have some Native American blood in me. (I doubt it, but it is possible. And it is not an uncommon family tradition.) But it would be a lie to call myself a Native American.

21 in 5 months, 2 weeks and 9 days!
I'm 18, i'll be 19 next year, in February!
Last edited on
I'm confused on what you're saying. You say everyone is immigrants in America, however everyone in Europe would be an African immigrant.
Last edited on
Pages: 1234567