What's your age ?

Pages: 1... 34567
Historically, it is believed our ancestors migrated everywhere. There is no one that isn't an immigrant. There is no country that has no immigrants.
My thoughts:

-) Immigration requires the concept of nationality. Therefore ancestors which predate the origins of national boundaries cannot be immigrants.

-) Just because your parents were immigrants does not make you an immigrant. If you are recognized as a legal citizen who has been born in <insert country here>, then you are no more of an immigrant than someone whose family has been there for 15 generations.

-) Regarding Duoas' post:

Duoas wrote:
If you were raised in India, by Indian parents; went to Indian schools; watched Indian bollywood, etc, would it not make sense to call yourself Indian?

If you still lived in India, yes. If you moved to the US you'd be American who is an Indian immigrant.

I was born here in the USA, but my family is largely Irish, and much of that culture is part of my life. Along with the ambient American cultures. Hence, I may justly consider myself to be Irish-American. I was raised in the West.

If you've never been a citizen of Ireland then you are not "Irish" so much as you are "of Irish descent".

I identify with a lot of aspects of Canadian culture (which is remarkably similar to American culture), but I wouldn't for a second consider myself Canadian because I've never lived there.

-) People place too much emphasis on their heritage anyway. I never understood how someone could be "proud" to be of <insert nationality here> descent. Like they personally accomplished something because their parents happened to be born in <insert country here>. Seems kind of ridiculous. It's like being proud of having brown hair.

-) wtf @ this thread. Why am I even replying? XD
IDK, but you are applying some narrow constraints onto people's social contexts.

The phrase "Irish-American" does not imply I have or have ever had Irish citizenship. It does, however, imply that I am of Irish descent -- which I am.

Emphasis on heritage is not a vanity. People like to belong. Many find their native cultures to be pleasing and so invest time and energy in it.

No reasonably sane person I have ever met has felt "personally accomplished" for their heritage. Because it is ridiculous.

I've also spent considerable time in latino cultures (mostly Mexican and Guatemalan). So much so that many of my friends have told me that they feel like I'm one of them. I wouldn't dare call myself latino though. I'm not. But I enjoy the social context. I enjoy Jamaica and Horchata. I love mole. I enjoy a good pun.

¿Cuál es el animal más flojo de todo el mundo?
(Various guesses go here, until asking for the correct answer.)
Un pez.
(Make sure to state it like it is obvious. Wait for the puzzled, "Why?")
¿Qué hace un pez todo el día?
(Wait for laughter, or if dealing with small children, wait for them to explain to each other that "nada" is a pun response.)

To be short, I've invested a lot of time in a culture I enjoy, making a lot of friends along the way. Can I not feel justified in feeling good about that?

Is that any different than time and energy I've invested in learning about my own cultures? Can I not take pleasure in singing Irish lullabies to my children that my parents sang to me?

And brown hair is nice. So there. Nyah.

People get pleasure out of their social circles. Every regular here on this forum gets pleasure out of it, or he would go away. Having your voice heard and sharing with others in constructive ways makes people happy.

This is basic psychology.

Beyond that, by "classifying" people we meet by their culture, we typically learn something about them, and, if we are sensitive, helps us to get along with them.

This is basic sociology.
i love how a whats your age post turns into a debate about immigrants
0x15 as of day 0x6E of year 0x7DD c.e.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Page 1: List of ages.
Page 5: Talking about immigration.

Wtf happened?
I talked about age in terms of base16 Trying to rerail to topic. DON'T STOP ME NOW.
closed account (18hRX9L8)
15. 16 in Jan. |_| I don't want a sweet-16 though because I think celebrating is useless. I would rather just code. -.-
@Cheraphy
Did you use a converter or do it by hand?

I get bored and do mine in my paper notebook then double check my answers with python's bin(), oct(), hex() functions on my laptop.

Base 10: I'm 31, but will be 32 on October 30 born 1981.
Base 2: I'm 0001 1111, but will be 0010 0000 on October 0001 1110 born 0111 1011 1101.
Base 8: I'm 37, but will be 40 on October 36 born 3675.
Base 16: I'm 0x1F, but will be 0x20 on October 0x1E born 0x7BD.

[EDIT] Forgot '0x' in front of the hex. Guess I should have done the prefixes for bin and oct while I was at it.

[EDIT 2] Yes I know I have no life for doing binary, octal, and hexadecimal by hand.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
In my head. Actually.

10011 / 13 / 19

*whoops I kind of messed that binary up..
Last edited on
Can I say "10", if I don't disclose the base?
Well you can, though Bases 2, 8, 10, and 16 will give you completely different answers.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
BHXSpector wrote:
Historically, it is believed our ancestors migrated everywhere. There is no one that isn't an immigrant. There is no country that has no immigrants.
That's what I was saying the entire time.

EDIT: (At least trying to say)
Last edited on
keskiverto wrote:
Can I say "10", if I don't disclose the base?

Alas, in spite of the common idea that you could, you really can't.

Unless you specifically indicate a different radix, it defaults to 10.

:O)

[edit] But no, seriously, it is decimal unless otherwise specified.
Last edited on
Lets then specify that the base most likely is not 10.

Hmm, if the base were 5, then 10 would be a prime number.
Primes in different bases. Not something I've ever considered.
The radix is only useful for how we humans (or computers) split numbers up. But the number itself is the same.

That's why computer programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas.
http://gruts.com/misc/faq/halloween-christmas/
I'm 1316.
Last edited on
@chrisname: 19? Really? o.O
Pages: 1... 34567