What gives you "the rush" in programming?

Pages: 123
No, I don't think I can do anything now. I've said it before, even after 17 years of doing it, I still consider myself a beginner. I will never consider myself a master of C++, even if I was 90 years old and could quote the standard and language features verbatim to everyone. Just the dreams I had for programming, after all these years, are quickly proving pointless and don't have any interest in programming outside of those dreams so it is starting to bore me.

I wanted to be a game programmer, take away that and I really have no interest in any other programming.
After 17 years of game programming you must have an impressive portfolio. What games have you made?
I get "the rush" when I realize a more elegant way to do something.
Nothing worth bragging about. I tried to start my own company a few years back, but never got off the ground. I also don't work well in teams so I'm the poster child for what not to do for a game programmer. Thinking back, in 17 years it was all clones for the most part. I never released anything I did get done. I brag more about my friend programmer's work than I do my own.
It is not very reasuring for all the things you have done and gone no where with are the things I want to do and hopefully go some where with. Maybe you should try again.
@Manga
Well, where I went wrong you may go right. You can't get discouraged because one person failed where you want to go. If you get discouraged because of me failing, you would be really discouraged if you saw the numbers for failure:success ratio. I think the last numbers I heard was for every 100 kids that try, maybe 10 or so would succeed. How will you know if you are one of the 10 successful ones if you get discouraged by one of the 80 failures?
I usually get a rush when I have a clear picture of what I want to do and how to get there. When that happens, I can easily hack away for hours without a break. Unfortunately, that's a very shaky position for me. If I see so far ahead that I can hold the entire project in my mind, I tend to become overwhelmed by how much there's still to do. When that happens, I become unable to work on it for weeks.
This is only in my personal projects. Fortunately, at work I can avoid this by focusing on each task independently.

I think the last numbers I heard was for every 100 kids that try, maybe 10 or so would succeed.
I don't know if this is vague enough. How about
for every 100, maybe 10 or so.
Also, 100-10=90.
I'm confused, I thought a "rush" was short and intense, not long and drawn out? People seem to be describing long and drawn out things...
Last edited on
@helios
100 - 10 = 90 but I forgot to mention that of the 90 about 10 give up so 80 failures. Those were the numbers we were given in college as an example. I just misquoted it.

Had the instructor send me the example (copy and pasted from my email):

"Let's say there are 100 programmers. Now, it would be great if all 100 could become successful, but that isn't the case. Maybe 10 of those programmers will become successful and of the 90 left about 10 will give up and never even actually fail to become successful. Strive to be those 10 successful! Should you be one of the 80 that failed, at least you can say you tried and had fun doing it!"
I interpreted it as being equivalent to flow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28psychology%29 ). In short, it's the feeling you get when code just seems to effortlessly flow out your fingers. You're not bored because what you're doing is not trivial, you're not struggling because the task is within or just within your capacity, and you're concentrated to the point where the world around you seems to have disappeared.
"Long and drawn out", I think about all the possibilities I could do with programming. I want to do something wonderful. More than just gaming...I want to...I don't even know.

"Short and sweet", since i'm a beginner, the rush that I get is solving a problem and the compiler runs. I'm always ecstatic when that happens. It's like racing Bolt and winning!
@BHXSpecter

So what are you working on these days?
You like games, are you in the middle of making one?
Nothing. Only time I code now is when I help a user in the beginner and general C++ forums.
May I ask why that is?
Just get more fulfillment from helping others get into programming than I do actually programming anymore.
Looking for a rush while programming? Try doing coke first!

(disclaimer: don't actually do coke. Cocaine is bad, mmmkay)
I do Pepsi and Dr. Pepper, Coke tastes bad.
Here I am, lonely Mr. Sprite/7up lover.

I suppose I shouldn't mention that they taste the exact same way
@BHXSpecter

That's cool. Have you ever mentored someone ongoing?
No. I am good at advice and giving code examples. I don't have the social patience to mentor anyone.
Pages: 123