Game Programming Team

Pages: 123... 6
I know there is a thread in the Begginers forum's but I'm no expert but I don't consider myself an absolute begginer and it's about a different kind of programming, it's about game programming.

I want to gather a team of c++ programmers (with at least 1 / 2 years of experience) to create a game. I'm familiar with SFML but if you prefer anyother library (it's supposed to be a 2d game) like allegro or SDL I don't have any problem in learning a different API.

PS: I'm 12 and I have school tomorrow. I live in the GMT line so it's like 11 p.m. so I have to go to sleep. I'll check on the thread tomorrow and if there is enough people I'll start an IRC Chanel somewhere. Anyway I'll check on it tomorrow
You can do a lot of great collaboration on GitHub:
https://GitHub.com/
You can even use their fancy application for Windows and Mac if you don't know how to use git yet.
closed account (NUj6URfi)
I'm in for sdl. I am no expert but I will help.
Ok I'll try to learn SDL. I heard that it's very good handling openGL so it might be a plus because I don't want to be doing 2d games for ever. Thank you for joining. 2 is a start but it is still a small team if we could get about 3 more people it would really be great.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
If this is your first time working with a team specially if you don't have a lot of experience with developing games I would suggest limiting your team size to as small as possible. The larger it gets the more complicated things become.

In my opinion a team of 2 that works very well together is much better then a team twice the size especially for smaller sized games.

Anyways best of luck with your project.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I know SDL pretty well, I moved on to OpenGL though. I kinda like OpenGL better, with SDL I did a few hack-jobs.

But that was 1.2... not sure about 2.0
1.2 all the way!!
O_O Sorry again for intruding on this thread but just wanted to point out if you do use SDL do not use SDL 1.X anything. It uses highly outdated techniques (Which can make it very slow) and it is a major version behind the latest update.

If you want more information on the subject you can look at some of the previous threads on this forum about it or try and track Disch down ;p

Disch wrote:
You definitely should not bother with SDL 1.2. At all. It's very old and employs extremely outdated drawing concepts like blitting and dirty rects -- many of which are unsupported by modern video hardware (we're talking like 10+ years out of date -- this stuff is ANCIENT). Which is why SFML is said to perform better.

The only way to get any kind of reasonable performance out of SDL 1.2 is to bypass SDL's rendering entirely and do your rendering directly with OpenGL -- but if you're doing that, SDL becomes little more than a window manager and something like Glu works just as well or better.

SDL 2.X fixed most of the problems that 1.2 had so please use SDL 2.X and not 1.2 you will have much better luck with it. Think of it this way, would you try using a compiler for C++ that hasn't been updated for 10+ years and was made for the 98 standard when a new compiler that is made for the 2011 standard is available?
Last edited on
So I've read the thread. So were gone be using SDL/OpenGL and the team will be me, Lumpkin and toad. Is this info right?
Nah I can't... I don't have time. Start with sdl first. I got school.
Last edited on
If you're going to use SDL, then please, please, and I mean PLEASE do not use 1.2 as the damn thing is ancient. Note SDL is known to be a bit harder (compared to SFML I'd say without a doubt it is) than other popular game libraries.

Feel free to start with SDL 2.0 and OpenGL, but just a note Allegro and SFML are both easier (so it seems) and can still wield great results.
Posted by Zero:
In my opinion a team of 2 that works very well together is much better then a team twice the size especially for smaller sized games.

I really agree with this, and not by something I read, but by personal experience. Right now I'm in a Space Shooter project. Guess what the team is? The coder, which would be me, and the pixel artist, which is my friend. That's it, nothing more, and it actually works out great for us. We both discuss how to make the game good, he makes the art, I write the code, we're happy as can be with the setup. When you have multiple coders and artists, it takes more organizational skills, especially for keeping coders in line. Everything they write has to get along with what the others are writing. It really can turn into a huge clusterf*ck. It's before my time so I can't say for sure, but from what I've heard back in the day games were made by two man teams of a coder and pixel artist quite often.
Lumpkin wrote:
Nah I can't... I don't have time. Start with sdl first. I got school.

I got school to but it isn't stopping me. I think you're about the same age as I am (just checked your profile you're a month older than me) so your probably in the 8th grade. For me school started 2 weeks ago I dont know how it's like in the US but I bet you don't have tests yet so why not join us?

Austin J wrote:
If you're going to use SDL, then please, please, and I mean PLEASE do not use 1.2 as the damn thing is ancient. Note SDL is known to be a bit harder (compared to SFML I'd say without a doubt it is) than other popular game libraries.

I myself use SFML because it's easy, intuitive and powerful. But I'll talk to toad because if he doesn't want to learn SFML(I think he should) I'll learn SDL. The more you know the merrier
Last edited on
I might learn sfml. Depends on how complicated it is to download.
You mean getting SFML installed? I'm guessing you're using an IDE, and if you already know how to install SDL, then you shouldn't have a problem installing SFML. I think many people get overwhelmed by all of the things that are in properties, but really installing SFML, SDL, Allegro is pretty easy, especially if you use a pre-built binary.
I use mingw though.
What are you talking about Austin J? I find SDL very easy. Do you have any *experience* with it? If not, you're probably basing that on the fact SDL is a C lib, and that's pretty ignorant.

EDIT: I'd also like to go against your "start with SDL 2.0" statement. That's not the best idea, there are no decent 2.0 tutorials. Learn SDL 1.2 from Lazy Foo, once you're comfortable try learning SDL 2.0.

============
To the OP.

I have football, I get home at around 7:00 PM. (That might change, probably gonna get booted off the team)

But I'm working on this 3D game, and the little time I have goes into reading tons of documentation and stuff, but on weekends or whatever I could help. If you still would like me to join I use Visual Studio 2010, which I strongly recommend.

But if I get my grades too low, I'll have to leave, I'm trying to stay in honors society.
Last edited on
Lumpkin I think you're sort of like me. I have good grades, play rugby and get home kinda of late (8:30 pm) and I'm the nerdiest guy I know.

I'm using VS 2012 but I'm getting kind of sick of it. Intelisense sucks and it's very heavy and slow. I'm gonna switch back to Linux. I'll have a dual boot cause Windows is the no. 1 OS for gamming. I thought about going 3d but I figured out it's better if I got the complete grasp of 2d before moving on. Anyway you said you're on to 3d. I think alone it's something that is going very time consuming and very hard to achieve. So if you would like to join us in this project we could all them move on to a 3d game. A group even if small is better than a single person.
Use VC++ 2010 instead. It's pretty fast for me.
I'm looking for a side project to work on anyway, I can't stand working on the same project for too long. I usually work on 2-4.

It isn't anything big, right now I'm working on this 3D model format, and getting skeletal animation instead of vertex animation.

Anyway, I'm thinking a card game/duel thingy, I can use a few things from a RPG engine I was working on a while back.
I'm using VS 2012 but I'm getting kind of sick of it. Intelisense sucks and it's very heavy and slow.

VS can be quite heavy like you said but it is made more for professional development. Though the intelisense can be fixed if you have a paid version. I would highly recommend checking out the Visual Assist extension for VS. It improves the auto complete greatly, gives you much better syntax highlighting, and providing valuable tools for reworking code. But as I said before it is only compatible with a paid version of Visual Studios. If you are a student you can get a free version of it through Dreamspark though and all you need is a .edu email address.

If you are looking for something more lightweight though I would recommend either Codeblocks or Sublime Text. Both are very lightweight editors and have nice features. Though if you must have a full IDE Sublime Text probably won't be for you.

Lumpkin wrote:
Use VC++ 2010 instead. It's pretty fast for me.

I can so almost no reason to drop Visual Studio's 2012 to move to 2010... It will just make you lose even more features that you already had. Programming is a profession/hobby where it is almost a must to keep up to date with the latest technology.
Last edited on
Pages: 123... 6