OS X IDE and Compiler

closed account (jwkNwA7f)
Is it possible to make GUI Applications in C++ using Xcode? I know there is using Objective-C, but I want to do it using C++. If this is not possible, what is a good IDE and Compiler for OS X? I have gotten Code::Blocks, but it didn't go very well. Like they mentioned on their site, it is very unstable. Every time I tried, the program crashed when I tried to open a file in the editor.

Thank you!
Uh xcode is an IDE, that does support C++. What are you asking?
Well, it says "command line application". That is what through me off. Is there something like WinAPI except for OS X? I guess Cocoa..., but can I use that in my C++ application. I know about the cross platform libraries and stuff like that, and I will probably use them with it.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Is it possible to make GUI Applications in C++ using Xcode?

Not natively.

what is a good IDE and Compiler for OS X

GCC and Clang are both included with the XCode development tools. Clang is the recommended compiler though. For IDEs, XCode is my preferred IDE when not making GUIS, Netbeans and QtCreator are other options.

Is there something like WinAPI except for OS X? I guess Cocoa..., but can I use that in my C++ application.

OS X systems basically have two layers: the system layer, and the user interface layer. The system layer is a POSIX compliant system, which is a C library. For GUIs, Cocoa is the native library and relies on many of Objective-C's features that do not translate easily to C++. You can write your model layer in C++ and write the GUI in Objective-C with Cocoa, then use "Objective-C++" to make them interface with eachother or you can use something like QT with QtCreator to make a cross-platform user interface with C++ drag-and-drop style.

If you want your application to be cross-platform, I'd say go with QT. If you want to make a Mac only interface, I would bite the bullet and learn Objective-C and Cocoa. There is no sense fighting against the "recommended" way unless you have a really good reason. (Objective-C is also a much better language than C++, IMO).
@darkestfright Exactly what I wanted, thank you!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.