looking for a names list

I was hoping to find a names list (100 to 1,000, more would be better) that had a first name, last name, and a gender to define the first name. I was more or less looking for a text file to just download. What I seem to find online is more or less short of the previous.

Does anyone know a link to a .txt file that would contain such? I am almost to the point of writing my own, for the exception of how much of a tedious task that would be.
You could create one yourself.

These can be small lists but
1) create list of first names
2) create list of last names
3) gender char ( m/f )
4) Use a for loop for how many people to create
5) output to a text file the randomly selected first last and gender

something like

for( int i = 0; i < 30000; ++i )
{
     random_name = rand() % SIZE;
     random_gender = rand() % 2;
     out << firstname[random_name] << ' ' << lastname[random_name] << ' ' << gender[random_gender] << std::endl;
}

Good luck.
yeah i did that, but i ended up getting last names first, first names last, surely male names with the gender female, and vice-versa.

EDIT:
for example i would get something like
Johnson Peter F
where most likely Peter would be first, but randomized as last name, and obviously is not female. The first/last name is not that big a deal, but the gender is.
Last edited on
Then you wrote it wrong, if you have two distinct lists, one for first name and the other for last names, then this should not be a problem. There are 931 MILLION results in Google for "List of Last Names", most of the ones on the first page link to resources that contain upwards of a thousand each. I can also tell you as a parent that there are an insane number of websites that list first names with their associated gender.
yeah actually after i posted this, i thought it was kind of stupid of me. I just ended up parsing a list of popular names both gender from the social security website with Python. Im not sure why i didn't think of that before posting.

I was just surprised to not see a txt file with first names and their associated gender within the google results, that you could just download and not have to parse their site.
Last edited on
I was just surprised to not see a txt file with first names and their associated gender within the google results, that you could just download and not have to parse their site.

This I can relate to, a while back I was writing a generic decryption program and went out looking for a simple list of English words in plain text format. I eventually found one, buried on the fourth or fifth page of Google only for my SO to walk by and in two minutes say "Why don't you just download a Scrabble dictionary?".
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.