This Man.

Pages: 12
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Sorry this is another topic within 30 mins of my own, but I like to go on Youtube and look up C/++ tutorials, and if I see something wrong I like to post my mind on it.

This is a true dissapointment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otm9NaT9OWU

This man is claiming he's teaching C, when in fact he is using C++ LIBRARIES in his code.

3rd tutorial in the series he hasn't even taught the beginners to display text.

AND HE USES DEVC++.
Sorry this is another topic within 30 mins of my own, but I like to go on Youtube and look up C/++ tutorials, and if I see something wrong I like to post my mind on it.

So post your mind on it where it's appropriate. Contact the author or put your post in the youtube comments for the video.

If you think you're going to get accurate information in random youtube programming tutorials, you're deluded anyway.

Btw, try to pick informative titles. "This Man" is anything but.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
well i didnt watch the whole video, so correct me if im wrong, but it looked like he was just showing how to set up dev-c++, which is the real crime imo
@fedbill could you at least give us what time in the video you're referring to when you write "C++ LIBRARIES" in capitalized bold text?
part b, and I skimmed till the 3rd tutorial, then I was done.
Why did you link to part A if your complaint was in part B?
Last edited on
So you could watch from the beginning.
Good lord, call the cops, he used C++ libraries to teach a beginner tutorial on how to install Dev-C++ and the break down of the process. You are knit-picking at this point. He didn't even do any coding in either of those tutorials, but rather just loaded up the default console project in Dev-C++.

Spend more time coding and seeking help and less time posting knit pick threads.
Spend more time coding and seeking help and less time posting knit pick threads.
I spend way too much time coding. It's like an addiction, so I'm trying to do a little less.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Actually, there are mistakes made here and I have issues with it for various reasons.

He gets terminology wrong. This may confuse the person he is trying to teach and we see people confused with the differences between C and C++ all of the time just on this very forum. He is compounding the issue.

My only other issue is he aimed towards beginners... C++ or C is not for beginners. Seriously, you can probably go through all 50+ tutorials on youtube and still not have the experience or mindset to start in C++. Granted, you have to start somewhere but it's so much easier to start with a less hateful language like Python or Java even (which is more comparable as it's strongly typed).
[wrong topic]
Last edited on
compiled strongly typed languages can do that too. ive gotten a program to compile but not run because of dynamic memory.
Lumpkin wrote:
I spend way too much time coding. It's like an addiction, so I'm trying to do a little less.

Apparently not enough if you are worrying about a tutorial instead of a project. :P
computerquip wrote:
He gets terminology wrong. This may confuse the person he is trying to teach and we see people confused with the differences between C and C++ all of the time just on this very forum. He is compounding the issue.

Reminds me of Fredbill30's beginner tutorials he attempted to make at one time.
computerquip wrote:
My only other issue is he aimed towards beginners... C++ or C is not for beginners. Seriously, you can probably go through all 50+ tutorials on youtube and still not have the experience or mindset to start in C++. Granted, you have to start somewhere but it's so much easier to start with a less hateful language like Python or Java even (which is more comparable as it's strongly typed).

Depends on who you ask. Ed Boon, creator of Mortal Kombat, has been coding since Assembly days (and worked on pinball games before video games) and has said time and time again "Learn what you are wanting to learn. If you want to learn <language> then learn <language>." I've been told the same by others in the industry. Now colleges agree with you, kind of, as they make you learn Java, Python, C/C++, C#, Lisp, Scheme, and a few other ones.
BHXSpecter wrote:
Oh, the irony...
actually, my first langauge was c, and while its not easy (i was trying to scan for input with scanf :L i cant remember my thinking there) it was doable. through trial and error i wrote c code that worked, and learned the meaning of a lot of error messages along the way
I'm completely self-taught in C++, and it was my first language. Personally I think it's important to learn C++ as a first language, though only the high-level parts, none of the deprecated stuff those professors teach you from when they wrote code in the 80s.
i think it works well either way. personally i would teach python first and work your way up, letting you ease in, but learning c or c++ makes learning python, ruby, java, php, etc really easy
I don't know if it's just me but C++ was the 1st language i learned and I picked it up easily watching thenewboston.com tutorials.
I don't think your first language matters. I think using Python is good if you're the kind of person who gives up easily because it's more forgiving than C++.
Apparently not enough if you are worrying about a tutorial instead of a project. :P
I like to go on youtube and rant about beginner tutorials.

Oh the irony
XD

LB wrote:
I'm completely self-taught in C++, and it was my first language. Personally I think it's important to learn C++ as a first language, though only the high-level parts, none of the deprecated stuff those professors teach you from when they wrote code in the 80s.
Same here, unless you count Ruby as a programming language.

Last edited on
Pages: 12