Favorite quotes!

Pages: 12345
Conan's answer to "What is good in life?"

George Bernard Shaw wrote:
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Toilet wall wrote:
Everyone can piss on the floor. Be a real man and shit on the ceiling.

A comment about the "movie" Deep Throat:

George Burns wrote:
I thought it was about a giraffe?
"Lay a fully loaded, safety off, .45 on a table and call it every name in the book. Did it shoot you?"
-- BHXSpecter
That quotes stupid, since banning carrying knives in london stabbings have fallen in number by the same logic if there not as many loaded .45s sitting at tables less people would get shot by them still.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I'm going to stop you right there devon, that's just bait for a gun debate.
Benjamin Franklin wrote:
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety

That's for you devon. I believe it was you, or someone else, who used this quote on this forum in a debate about the NSA. I don't see why it also can't be applied here.
<floodgates>

How is carrying weapons in public "essential liberty", or not being stabbed "temporary safety"?

Besides that, it's legal to carry knives in England, provided that
1. You are on private property and have the permission of the property owner (or you are the property owner)
or
2. You have a good reason to be carrying it (your job, re-enacting, etc.) that doesn't involve using it to harm people (even in self-defence, although if you have a knife for a legal reason but end up using it in self-defence, it's still legal)
or
3. It's a fixed or retracting blade no longer than 2.5"
and
4. It isn't a banned type of knife (butterfly, switch-blade and "gravity" knives and maybe some others are always illegal, and certain types of martial arts weapons are illegal without )
and
5. No-one could reasonably believe you intend to use it as a weapon (taking any knife into certain places, like a school, bar or football stadium makes it a weapon)

[edit]that's (1 || 2 || 3) && 4 && 5[/edit]

The law is pretty sensible if you ask me. It also doesn't just apply to knives, but any kind of "bladed article" including swords, axes, spears, etc.

</floodgates>
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
"I am regularly asked what the average Internet user can do to ensure his security. My first answer is usually 'Nothing; you're screwed'." - Bruce Schneier
Stroustrup:
C++ Is my favourite garbage collected language because it generates so little garbage.

Thanks, NwN! Your translation is close to what Wikiquote has.

NwN:
It seems that perfection will be attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.

Wikiquote:
It seems that perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove.
Alright, I know this is going to derail the thread, but I can't help but interject.

First, I should point out that I'm a raging liberal. I dislike obama because he's too conservative.

Now, on the topic of gun control. There is absolutely no reason to equate stricter regulations to 'taking our guns away.' If you're going to be using it in self defense you don't need two full clips and a side arm, and assuming you try to escape peacefully first, you DONT need the bullets in the gun at the start of the confrontation. And if regulation == requiring better background checks before giving someone a gun, then why the hell should you care? If you're going to pass the background check it shouldn't matter to you. It turns gun running cartels aren't a tremendous source of guns for your average criminal. And honestly if it weren't for the NRA lobbying on southern border states to reduce gun regulation, gun running wouldn't be nearly as big an issue.

As for self defense, our culture has an ingrained "cowboy mentality." Chances are, a crook isn't going to be breaking into your locked home to steal your crap unless you've obviously got shit they think is worth risking their life and limb to steal. Or in a really shitty neighborehood, but that's another story.

All that said, conceal and carry licenses are a good thing. Assuming background checks are thorough at least. But, stand your ground laws, you SHOULD have a responsibility to try to escape nonviolently. An eye for an eye and all that crap. They give the defending person incentive to kill their attacker. And believe me when I say that's not a fringe case. I spent some time googling but couldn't find the source again, but I read an article a few months back where they cited cases where stand your ground lead to homicide, compared to number of cases where the perpetrator was caught and convicted, compared to the total number of armed robbery/break and enter reports. It's not a fringe issue. Not nearly a majority, but it's not insignificant either.

That's my two cents.
Last edited on
You misuse that quote modshop.

that quote above is not perfect, im sure you can still shorten it.
Last edited on
unknown wrote:
True enslavement is not when another controls your body, but rather when your body controls your own mind

Oh scriptcoder, I like that one.
When I was young I thought money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is.
--Oscar Wilde

I can resist anything but temptation.
--Oscar Wilde
"Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_flies_like_an_arrow;_fruit_flies_like_a_banana
closed account (iw0XoG1T)
Monty Python wrote:
not me I am just like everyone else
"I would never join a club that would have me as a member"

- Groucho Marx

(also my dad's response when he found out he could have joined the military despite his terrible knees and eyesight)
Last edited on
Oh scriptcoder, I like that one.

Thank you, I actually came up with it myself :)
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective standpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff."

-The Doctor
@Disch how long can you keep your eyes open?
Pages: 12345