Pokemon game

Pages: 12
closed account (NUj6URfi)
I tried your code and it didn't work. Thanks for it though. There is no arrays just if statements.
Lumpkin wrote:
Also, why are you still using multidimensional arrays?

There is nothing wrong with multidimensional arrays. Do you have something against them?
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Do you have something against them?

Don't you know his word is the law and how dare you question his never ending knowledge ;p sorry in a trolling mood today and not sure why.
There is nothing wrong with multidimensional arrays

According to Disch, they are evil:
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/articles/17108/
Zereo wrote:
Don't you know his word is the law and how dare you question his never ending knowledge ;p sorry in a trolling mood today and not sure why.

It's okay, that made me laugh.
Danny Toledo wrote:
According to Disch, they are evil:
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/articles/17108/

While I respect Disch, that is his opinion. Everything in C++ has its place and purpose. Everyone raves about vectors, but in truth, learning 2D tile mapping is much easier to learn when using a static multidimensional array to get the hang of it before tackling multidimensional vector arrays to allow for dynamic maps to be loaded.
I understand what you are saying and agree that multidimensional arrays have their place (along with everything else that we consider "evil" or bad practice). The point is that Lumpkin never said that they were bad, he simply asked why the OP still uses them implying that there are better options out there (which, ironically, you seem to agree with) and you (wrongly) called him on it.

Edit:
I think we may be derailing the thread...
Last edited on
No we aren't derailing it, as we are giving our interpretation of the discussion.
Danny Toledo wrote:
The point is that Lumpkin never said that they were bad, he simply asked why the OP still uses them implying that there are better options out there (which, ironically, you seem to agree with) ...

Yes...
Danny Toledo wrote:
and you (wrongly) called him on it.

...and no.

Yes there are better practices. No I'm not wrongly calling him out on it. If the game uses static set map sizes per area/level (like 64x64 tiles per map) then a simple multidimensional array is perfectly fine . Now if he has alternating maps like level one is 32 x 32, level two is 64x64, level three is 24 x 49, etc. then vectors would be better for the ability to adjust size accordingly.
Do any of you want to join the project or are you just going to argue on my thread?
It's not arguing, we are pointing out the pros and cons of arrays versus vectors (well one of them). I think, if you have gotten any help from here, that may be the only help you get. I tried to get some of my friends to jump at helping you, but they saw the code and said no. I quit helping on projects because I don't take direction well so all I can do is offer advice from the experience I have and the things I've read and been told over the years I've been doing this.
Thanks for at least being honest BHXSpecter. Thanks for trying to get your friends involved as well and directly saying no.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Funny, because I left out most of the code I've written. I gave you full classes.

If you're not going to use resources given to you, why ask for them?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12