Graphics

Pages: 12345
ARRHG. Cire, I know I said that. SDL doesn't use OpenGL by default, that's what I meant by it.

Say what you mean. Nobody is a mind reader here.

SDL doesn't actually wrap OpenGL functions. You use them directly.

Say things that are correct.

http://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_HINT_RENDER_DRIVER

in combination with:

http://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_SetHint

or

http://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_SetHintWithPriority

or forgo the hints and use

http://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_CreateRenderer

with the index returned from computerquip's code above.

Please note that options which are not the default are still supported if they're available. I hope you clean your feet regularly.
OpenGL is a hurdle to get over, and initially it does require a lot more code and understanding of mathematics than 2D graphics require, but it is a satisfying hurdle to get over. Once you have figured out how it works, and you have developed or acquired reusable rendering, texture, and model loading code, and have figured out how to work in, and have set up your coordinate system, then the majority of your coding becomes your data structures and the challenge is your overall design/architecture, and your algorithms. Just make sure that you have a solid understand of pointers, and some prior experience in programming in general helps quite a bit too. The linear algebra involved can make it very confusing for those who haven't learned linear algebra, but there is not a lot that is necessary to know at first. Using a good math library like glm can make it so you don't really need to know how to do the operations, you just need to understand what is happening.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Did I or did I not include "by default" in my posts?
Did I or did I not include "by default" in my posts?

Sure, you said it, and then you clarified that by saying:

SDL doesn't actually wrap OpenGL functions. You use them directly.

As a 2D renderer, Direct X is used. However if you want more control, you can use OpenGL. It doesn't use OpenGL to render anything by itself. It has the option to create a OpenGL context though.

And then you go on to reiterate that in your next post. In case you haven't figured it out yet, this is not correct.
Last edited on
I thought you'd add on "By default" in your head, I said it before.

No point in arguing anymore, I got what I wanted to get across.
Last edited on
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Lumpkin, please, re-read the posts. At this point, I would personally have you banned if I were moderator as you're clearly trolling.
How am I trolling?
You ignore what is said and continue to claim false information as true, ignoring our contradictions with your comments.
I was speaking default, you're talking about changing it.
Fine but that's not what your previous comments say.
On Windows, SDL uses Direct X to render it's NORMAL rendering.
Last edited on
But you ignore your retarded comments like:

As a 2D renderer, Direct X is used. However if you want more control, you can use OpenGL. It doesn't use OpenGL to render anything by itself. It has the option to create a OpenGL context though.

You cannot say stupid crap like that without being ridiculed. You say one thing, then immediately say you mean another. While I'm quite stagnant on how to learn, I'm honestly afraid others might be influenced by such ignorant comments.
Last edited on
But I said it can make a OpenGL context... and you actually proved it later on.
It can create an OpenGL context but it can also use OpenGL internally as a backend to its 2D accelerated API which you don't seem to understand (specifically, even on Windows).
That's what I mean by context? So you're agreeing but disagreeing?
Last edited on
You are clearly implying that you cannot use OpenGL as a backend for the 2D accelerated API in previous comments. You state quite explicitly so, with no room for confusion in wording.
And I said by default, did I not? I'm done here. It's just a waste of bytes to continue on.
Last edited on
No. You said:

It doesn't use OpenGL to render anything by itself.
Last edited on
computerquip wrote:
Lumpkin, please, re-read the posts. At this point, I would personally have you banned if I were moderator as you're clearly trolling.

Ignore feature so you can just add the usernames you want to no longer see when you read the forums.

Honestly, I'm done with him. He argues with everyone on here that has more experience than him. He is a "right fighter", has to be right no matter how wrong he really is. The final straw for me is that he has about 2 years experience and is arguing like he knows everything and blatantly ignores all the veteran's advice, proof, and facts about topics that he has continually been wrong about.

I feel he has shown that he has learned nothing from his last ban, and feel he has made himself open for consideration of a second ban until we get some kind of ignore feature is in place.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
I don't feel an ignore feature would suffice. He can still spout incorrect information, claim it as true no matter how much it's rebuked, and people might still become confused or lost on the matter due to misinformation.

I won't be part of a forum that allows such a thing to continuously go on. I believe it's bad for the forum's reputation and community in general.
Last edited on
Pages: 12345