Facebook is using D now

Pages: 12
I can't remember who it was who is a fan of D language, but here's a link for them.

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/l37h5s$2gd8$1@digitalmars.com
I knew D would probably have smaller code that would compile faster, but I didn't realize that the optimizer was so good that it could out-perform C++ in the speed category...
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Herm... as far as build compilation and source size, I can quite clearly see that happening with ease. As far running speed, that depends.

There are three D2 implementations that are in major competition: DMD which uses a proprietary optimizer/backend (I think? Walter owns the rights.. might have changed them), DGC which uses the GCC backend, and LDC which uses the LLVM backend.

I don't know how mature any of those are but the output binary, I would assume, is potentially as fast as any C++ compiler that uses those backends.
Last edited on
Perhaps D will finally get the recognition it deserves.

I truly wish for it to be widely adopted, in the very near future. What bugs me in that regard is that I don't see them taking steps to standardize it.

Anyway, this is a great incentive for me to resume learning it, and hopefully for others to start!
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
Perhaps D will finally get the recognition it deserves.

Just like LOLCode!

anyways... what advantage does D provide over c++/php
[hiphop]
Did you just compare C++ to php? Are you mad?
What do you think hip hop is based off of?
The biggest advantage D has over C++ is design. D removes the limitation of C and adds modern language constructs that removes the need of things like any type of boilerplate, 3rd party libraries for type intrinsics, and a more efficient language from a parsing perspective to help optimize compile time and potentially make compiler implementation faster.

I don't think they removed PHP, just the C++ portion.
Last edited on
What do you think hip hop is based off of?

Hip hop is not a language. We were talking about languages, right?
You're suggesting hiphop is based on rhymes, right? If so, I'd like to say it's not.
The biggest advantage D has over C++ is design.

Some people would say most languages have that advantage over C++.

D removes the limitation of C and adds modern language constructs that removes the need of things like any type of boilerplate

Indeed, I recall struct and class are treated differently in D, with objects of the latter always being passed by reference. The boilerplate is further reduced by simple things, such as arrays being first class citizens.
Hip hop is not a language. We were talking about languages, right?

it is somewhat of its own langauge. even though it is technically php, they said that some of the features of it were removed. they were little used apparently, but features they were. anyways, if you just want to call it a compiler, then that means php and c++ must be able to compare at some level
PHP is interpreted, C++ is compiled. You're not making much sense.

PHP is interpreted, C++ is compiled. You're not making much sense.

i dont know what your talking about. that is the common way of translating them to machine language/html respectively, but you can interpret c++ and compile php. hiphop compiles php code and outputs an equivalent source file. i said it wasnt completely php, because some of the features that werent widely used were removed for speed reasons
DTSCode wrote:
it is somewhat of its own langauge. even though it is technically php, they said that some of the features of it were removed.

It is not a language. It is a tool that transforms php source to C++.

DTSCode wrote:
i said it wasnt completely php, because some of the features that werent widely used were removed for speed reasons

It isn't at all php. A wood chipper is not at all a tree.

http://www.amiclubwear.com/costume-animal-bbb4-m6117brown.html
Speaking of wood chippers, check out that beaver.
OH. giblit. Right. I completely forgot about that.
Anyone feels like recommending a compiler for linux?
Last edited on
maeriden wrote:
Anyone feels like recommending a compiler for linux?
Of all the languages discussed in this thread, could you be a little more vague? I'm assuming you mean D:
http://gdcgnu.sourceforge.net/ (first on google)
I can't believe that website is still up lol...

Official website for that compiler is here: http://gdcproject.org/
It's offically called "GDC" for GNU D Compiler.

EDIT: DMD always has the latest features fyi but has issues with Windows...
Last edited on
Pages: 12