I am in love with sfml.

Pages: 1234
I started my graphics programming with SDL 2.0. But came across a "lets make a game thread" and opted to participate. It was decided to use sfml for graphics so I had to make the switch.

Very glad I did. SFML is super easy to pick up and does great.

[infomercial] If you are considering a graphics library to learn, I recommend sfml for all you image manipulation needs. Visit http://www.sfml-dev.org for more info.[/infomercial]
I am in love with sfml.

So am I. (and everybody who tried and it worked for them).
SFML is not the library of choice for "image manipulation" ;)
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
I like OpenGL better. But, it is good.
opps, I meant for a 2d api. I have not yet tried opengl but I should hope it is better.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I was a hardcore SDL fanboy until OpenGL
@Lumpkin
That doesn't make sense. OpenGL and SDL aren't competitors. That's like saying "I was a hardcore Ford Fiesta fanboy until the Boeing 767".

@LB
What would you use instead? Boost.GIL?
I really loved OpenGL until I used javax.swing.
@chrisname is there some part of SFML I am unaware of that makes it really easy to create image editing software?
I don't think so, all it has is sf::Image and even that can only really do per-pixel manipulation and basic transforms and doesn't come with any useful algorithms. I'm just asking what you would use.
Oh, when you said "instead" I thought you were implying that SFML could do image manipulation just fine.

A long time ago I was curious about image manipulation in C++ and I found this through a goolge search I believe:
http://cimg.sourceforge.net/
I haven't used it but it looks good.
i tried learning sdl but got confused but when i went to SFML (2.0) i picked it up fairly quickly
Cronnoc wrote:
i tried learning sdl but got confused but when i went to SFML (2.0) i picked it up fairly quickly
You got confused when you went from SDL to SFML? Or you went to SFML from SDL because SDL confused you?
i went to sfml from sdl because sdl confused me
Last edited on
That doesn't make sense. OpenGL and SDL aren't competitors. That's like saying "I was a hardcore Ford Fiesta fanboy until the Boeing 767".
I never said they were competitors?
Maybe it is the tutorials for sfml... They are neatly organized, fairly short and to the point and just plain easy to follow. SDL tutorials on the other hand seem to be, well... SDL.
closed account (NUj6URfi)
Lazyfoo is awesome.
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
^+1
@LB
Having looked at CImg and Boost.GIL's tutorials just now--and I hate to say this because I love Boost--I think I'd go with CImg. Not only does it look simpler, but it has its own UI code which means less dependencies for you to manage.

@Lumpkin
You said you liked the one until you found the other, which makes it sound like they perform the same function and one of them is better than the other at it, which would make them competitors.
I didn't mean to imply that, sorry I guess.
Pages: 1234