Anyone built a cross compiler?

Has anyone here built a cross compiler?

I've been trying to follow this tutorial:
http://wiki.osdev.org/GCC_Cross-Compiler

If anyone has experience, I'm having a problem here:
http://forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27279
closed account (9wqjE3v7)
Interesting, is this part of a larger project? (ie. is this for a specific purpose) (I haven't built one)
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
i have, but it was for gcc on linux
@Montario Yes
@DTSCode I don't understand what you mean by 'On linux I built a cross compiler to target gcc' - gcc isn't a valid target triple.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
my bad... i was thinking of the bootstrapping tutorial
Interesting, is this part of a larger project? (ie. is this for a specific purpose) (I haven't built one)

Well judging by the site LB listed it is probably an OS

Has anyone here built a cross compiler?

I tried and failed, I tried to follow that same tutorial. I eventually gave up. It became more worth while moving on. I hope you do come right though, where exactly are you stuck?

EDIT: Sorry did not read your second link
Last edited on
Honestly, if I understand correctly what a cross-compiler is, I think it must be one of the stupidest ideas ever. Suddenly you require that everybody who gets your code uses your custom compiler to build it?

And for what benefit, not passing "problematic" parameters to the compiler?
Also if the user's compiler cannot build your code in the required object file format, that's not your fault, and it's not your code's fault either.

But I'm willing to learn, so if what I said above is misguided do correct me.
@Catfish, cross compiling is building for multiple architectures. In LB's case he wants to build for arm.
Script Coder wrote:
Well judging by the site LB listed it is probably an OS
Actually I'm only interested in the cross compiler, OS is still out of my league and out of my interest. I want to develop my own API for the Vex Cortex Microcontroller - the two 'official' ones (those provided by EasyC and RobotC) are not satisfactory to me.

@Catfish: normally you compile to target the system you are compiling on. Cross-compiling is targeting a different system/architecture than the one you are compiling on, e.g. targeting windows while compiling on linux, or vice-versa. In my case I am targeting arm-none-eabi while compiling on x86_64-w64-mingw32.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.