• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Ya Know, We Learn New Things Everyday...

Ya Know, We Learn New Things Everyday...

closed account (N36fSL3A)
Ya know, we learn new things everyday. I just learned a new thing a few days ago on the word "literally".

Literally, quite literally means "To change", however we use it to mean seriousness. It was misused so much, even educated people such as yourselves started to use it in that context.

-----

Okay, that's not the end of this topic. I'd like you to post something new you've learned today that's interesting.
Literally, quite literally means "To change"
Eh?

literally: In a literal manner; word for word
literal: Being in accordance with, conforming to, or upholding the exact or primary meaning of a word or words.

Taken from:

Am I missing something here?

-Albatross

Last edited on
I learnt today that the LHC and associated complex uses 220-300 MW of energy. Such a large amount of energy that the energy suppliers have various conditions about it being used, such as a 22 day winter shutdown and for most of its usage to be in spring and summer, when overall energy demand is lower.

Edit: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/literally
Last edited on

Well in this newsletter our school receives, it was on there.
Last edited on
...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

-Albatross
I learned today that the word stereotype comes from a loom that makes copies of something thats allready woven, and that it makes a noise as the shuttle zooms by as it weaves, the noise it makes is ""kleesh kleesh kleesh" and that is where the word cliché" originates.

So interesting that the french and english word for the same thing comes from the same machine

-Devonrevenge
Woah, that's amazing. Not to derail my own topic, but that type of thing scares me.

It could make a black hole. (Well, at least that's what a documentary said)

-Lumpkin
It's not something that has any bearing on anyone else, but I recently (a few months or so ago) learned I'm left handed. I guess I had a grandmother that decided I shouldn't be so that's why I do everything with my right.
The documentary probably failed to state the evaporation time for the smallest black holes in the region of 10-40 seconds, not enough time for anything to happen in, that to create a black hole such as that in our currently accepted modal of physics requires far more energy than the LHC provides and finally, that particles with way more energy (cosmic rays) have been detected and are not forming black holes and are not doing anything else bad.

/derailment.

Getting back on topic, I should probably find something else I learnt today... Oh I learnt that P = NP is a conjecture that could be proven if you could make an efficient sudoku solver that works on arbitrarily sized sudoku grids.

Edit: (sources) You'll have to take my word on the second one. I saw it on a lecture given Avi Widgerson on P = NP? (which is on Youtube and is excellent). He doesn't cite a source, he just says that sudoku puzzles are NP-Complete.

As for the first, you can just read about the physics yourself if you don't believe me.
Last edited on
Nope, I believe you Mats. ;p

I guess I've learned another new thing today: You can't blindly believe everything, even from trusted sources.

EDIT: Oh, the irony.
Last edited on
If you can't believe everything from a trusted source... then by definition it's not a trusted source because you don't trust it.
The easiest/best way to debunk junk science is to ask for the source [citation needed]
Lumpkin wrote:
Ya know, we learn new things everyday. I just learned a new thing a few days ago on the word "literally".

Literally, quite literally means "To change", however we use it to mean seriousness. It was misused so much, even educated people such as yourselves started to use it in that context.

-----

Okay, that's not the end of this topic. I'd like you to post something new you've learned today that's interesting.

I just learned that your parents need to invest their money in a better school.
Lumpkin wrote:
Well in this newsletter our school receives, it was on there.

I just learned that you believe everything you read.

Etymology is the study of a words origin, meaning you can easily go and find what a word meant at a point in time. At no point in history did the word "literally" mean 'to change'.
Your school's definition failed to "literally" my mind about the word's meaning.

as for the other part of the post, i found a bunch a freeware synths/VST instruments that i've been playing around with.

http://puu.sh/53Akt.jpg
oh and this moth is adorable
http://puu.sh/53Akt.jpg
oh and this moth is adorable

That's like the Thing trying to mimic Spiderman.
"The thing about quotes from the internet is that its hard to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

My current favorite quote. From comment at:
http://www.npr.org/2013/10/29/241365931/thats-not-what-she-said-7-quotes-you-may-be-getting-wrong
Last edited on
Lol, not anymore BHX... I'll verify what I read next time.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.