Hello & a question

Hi guys, new to the site. I've had a quick look around and some helpful info here which is great. Anyway my question......i have a little extra time on my hands and thought i would learn something new, and was wondering what language would help me most if i wanted to make a anti-virus program(everyone's dream lol) or develop a game?

Forgive my ignorance, but i'm a beginner and thanks in advance.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Hello MadMackem.

I'm not the person you should really confront on this type of question, but C/++ seems like the job for the anti-virus (& assembler)

For games, it really depends.
Most games are made with a game engine that uses a scripting language.
A lot of engines are written in C++. If you want to make a game look for an engine and see what scripting language it uses.
A lot of beginners (myself included) like to write the engine themselves. That's ok to practice, but it won't be worth anything unless you spend years on it.
For a scripting language I recommend python because it's easy and quite popular, it's even used to teach programming in some univerities.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
For a scripting language I recommend python because it's easy and quite popular, it's even used to teach programming in some univerities.
I respectfully disagree with that.

It's not because of hate, as I use to. Python's a great language, however I noticed when I read a large portion of Python code it looks ugly as ever.

Just the way it looks. I guess it's just something with me though.

Anyway, for a scripting language I'd probably recommend Lua or Squirrel. Squirrel looks similar to C/++ and, Lua is pretty cool. Ruby is also an option.
The reason I recommend python over lua, even though lua is supposed to be faster, is because I know for a fact that python is used for much more that just scripting games, while I have no idea about lua.
@Lumpkin: don't attract the Angry Python Enthusiasts.
I realized what the acronym was after I typed it, so I went back and capitalized the first letter of each word just so it didn't look like I was trying to be sneaky.
Thx for all your replys, much appreciated. I intend to do abit homework and then decide which language i challenge myself with. I'm sure i'll be here with more questions in the future.

Take care.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.