Latex what a great product

closed account (iw0XoG1T)
For years I have had problems creating decent looking reports.

Recently I have been using a combination of Crystal Reports and Adobe, but I have never been happy. Today I was stuck at home watching a sick child and I took a look at Latex. I cannot believe what a great product it is--I wish I knew this years ago.
I now know why there is not a decent editor for creating PDFs--why would you buy something when Latex is available for free.
``Your paper makes no goddamn sense but it's the most beautiful thing I've ever laid eyes on.''
This was not what i imagined when you said latex

I now know why there is not a decent editor for creating PDFs--why would you buy something when Latex is available for free.

Because creating PDFs with LaTeX is slow? It is great at typesetting math papers, but not so with papers heavy on tables and/or graphics.
tables can be quite a PIA
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I know exactly what you mean paolettii.
rapidcoder wrote:
Because creating PDFs with LaTeX is slow? It is great at typesetting math papers, but not so with papers heavy on tables and/or graphics.

Do you have any recommendations? I would appreciate any advice.
Last edited on
closed account (o3hC5Di1)
Hi there,

If exporting to PDF is the only requirement:

- LibreOffice / OpenOffice both support exporting to PDF (and are cross platform)
- Scribus (DTP program) also supports PDF export
- You could get a PDF-printer for Windows, allowing you to "print" for example word-files to a pdf file.

All the best,
NwN
Exporting a document to a pdf is not a problem--editing a pdf is. Without having yet put it in to practice it looks as if editing a tex document would be quite easy to script and then all I have to do is run a makefile to convert that tex document to a pdf.
But just as an example editing a Doc document is a pain to script--and then I still have to convert it into a pdf
¿what kind of scripted edit are you talking about?
For the format you should only need to touch the preamble.
Adobe Acrobat Pro is expensive, but works very well for editing PDFs directly -- as it should. Nitro PDF is what we use at work. It is 100% conformant, easy to use, and relatively inexpensive compared to Adobe's offering.

http://www.nitropdf.com/
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
LaTeX can output to more than just PDFs, which is another major feature it has. It may be slow to develop (although, not so much if you're actually familiar with the markup language) but is rather flexible and featured.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.