Malware Programming vs Cheat Programming

Pages: 12
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I really think you are making this way more then it needs to be computerquip. I see absolutely nothing wrong with helios's replies and for some reason you are getting on case.

As for the ncurses thread I also saw nothing wrong with that one either. Helios just mention PDcurses then you seemed to jump on his case (Implying hidden meaning behind him posting just PDcurses I believe) for recommending it.
Last edited on
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Considering helios' post didn't exist when I had started to create my post, and I was responding to Albatross...

If it weren't the last three posts I made that he's gone out of his way to either take things out of context or say I have no point in my post, my attitude might be different. Or if he even did that to other people. What if all I were to say to your post is:

And your point is Zereo?

I don't address anything your actually saying and basically just said that your post isn't worth me reading it or I don't like it. If it were truly a rant that was trying to go off topic, fine. But it's not, you're trying address my previous reply.

On the other hand, any time Helios decides to reply with something other than that one line classic, it's to try and prove me wrong on something (even if I'm trying to defend his statement like in the Cmd++ thread) or make a mockery of me. It's rather irritating.
Last edited on
I've sent a PM to computerquip to avoid derailing the thread further.

Helios just mention PDcurses then you seemed to jump on his case
I didn't take it as anything like that. It just seemed a bit random, so I pointed that out. I wouldn't have said anything if I'd known he'd take it like me being dismissive. Maybe my ways of saying "I don't understand why you're saying this" and "I don't care about what you're saying" are too much alike?
closed account (N36fSL3A)
What if you launder fake money with bots and distribute it for a price less than the Game Creator is selling it?
I assume that by "laundering" you mean "mining". Probably not worth it unless you sell at a loss (counting electricity etc.). The server can generate any amount at zero cost. They can sell at practically any price and still make a profit.
Last edited on
Well more of as a side project I mean. Not as a staple income.

You can just create 100s of bots and send them to mine resources, then after, trade the goods over to a central account, and distribute the goods with alternate accounts that receive goods from the central account.

(Alternate accounts to reduce the change of getting banned)
Last edited on
That would be a lot more then a side project for someone to do and would require quite a bit of start up money to just get started. Considering most games that you would farm gold in with bots would be 3d MMORPG's you would need some serious hardware to get hundreds of bots up and running. That alone would be quite a bit of money.

Then you have to take into account the cost of creating accounts if it is a paid game. And to top it off your monthly electric bill would skyrocket from keeping the systems running.

Whereas the game creator has absolutely no overhead for generating new gold to sell if they choose to do so.
People used to bot the hell out of runescape when I played. Being a F2P game that wasn't very resource intensive, people pulled it off pretty well.
I had some friends that used to bot WoW back in Vanilla they asked me if I wanted to join them but personally I hate botters since they do cause harm to a lot of MMO's. They actually used quite a unique system to do it. They were provided botting software from the "leaders" of the group who would keep the software up to date and running after patches and make improvements to it and stuff like that.

In return each of the botters would send a percentage of the gold they made botting back to the leaders and kept the rest for themselves. From the way they made it sound it was a very tight nit group and they actually made quite a bit of profit and never got caught since the botting software wasn't widely used.
A pay to play game would be to much of a risk. But Runescape on the other hand...

You could gain quite a bit of money from a bot like that.
To all of those who think that Game Cheats should continue to be legal because one might only be able to acquire "made up" money rather than real money, I have a response to that.

Piracy is a large problem just about everywhere. It is illegal because it is stealing various types of media without paying for it, therefore effectively robbing the creators of this media the cost of the item. While downloading a movie or a song will not take money away from someone, it will deprive them of potential money that could have been earned if the downloader had payed for the item.

In games, it is the same way. If someone, for instance, programs and uses an aimbot, which may allow them to win every single match and gain a huge amount of in-game currency quickly, this would discourage the player from purchasing in-game currency because they would already have a decent amount. Depending on how the currency would be acquired in the game, this could amount to either a small or large amount of potential money lost.
Part of the purpose of law is to level the playing field. For example, anti-trust laws.
If you're a cheater playing on a private server ("private" as in "owned by a company") then you're already at a disadvantage. It takes the admin a single command to kick you and ban your account forever; it's only slightly harder to automatically detect such activity. Also making it illegal is just an unnecessary emphasis.

stealing
http://www.tidusyuna.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/piracy.jpg

effectively robbing the creators of this media the cost of the item. While downloading a movie or a song will not take money away from someone, it will deprive them of potential money that could have been earned if the downloader had payed for the item.
If it "will not take money away", then it can't be said to "effectively rob" anything from anyone any more than choosing not to purchase the item in question.
Whether a pirate would have purchased the item were they unable to acquire a copy by other means is still a matter of debate and not at all easy to unequivocably determine. There's even evidence supporting the claim that piracy boosts sales.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12