SourceForge Going Low

Pages: 12
So, I'm up for a visit on gimp.org to check for updates, and what do I find?
They dropped sourceforge, in favour of a FTP server to download installers from.
They also link this to the users:
http://www.gluster.org/2013/08/how-far-the-once-mighty-sourceforge-has-fallen/

Besides they forgot to update the GIMP 2.8.6 windows installer link to 2.8.8 as available via FTP
Last edited on
That is actually incredibly scary, although I feel less scared now that I have moved over to a linux based system
If I had any regrets about moving my one hosted project to github, they're all gone now. This is terrible.

Fortunately, FileZilla seems to be the only major project that uses that horrific DevShare installer (I might be wrong as all my research was saturated with stuff about FileZilla and didn't mention other projects that have gone the greedy route).

I used to laugh at Dice for their stupid ads which featured snippets of C++ code that were painfully malprogrammed. Now I'm just pissed at them.

-Albatross
My main project is hosted in sourceforge, so your post is very worrisome! How would you estimate the chances that sourceforge becomes unusable in the next 2-3 years? (I don't want to do any migration. I will if I am forced at gunpoint: is this a gunpoint situation?)
@tition: This information is now like everywhere, many people are leaving Sourceforge to use Github/Google Code instead.

tition wrote:
is this a gunpoint situation?

Probably.

Github (obviously) only allows for uploads via git.
Google Code allows for Mercurial and SVN, too.

Personally I prefer GCode's interface, but Github's so popular, it's worth giving it a try.

EDIT: As stated a couple of posts under this one, Github also allows for SVN and (via plugin) for Mercurial.
Last edited on
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
The only thing I don't like about GCode is that it gives you the option of using CVS.... in 2013...
Personally I prefer GCode's interface, but Github's so popular, it's worth giving it a try.

I used this the first time using git and github. It gives you the cut and dry basics.
http://try.github.io/levels/1/challenges/1
Last edited on
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
I prefer something with an actual UI that makes viewing changes easier and faster. While also giving the repository an actual visual representation for you to look at. Sadly this one isn't for Linux though I'm sure there is something similar.
http://www.sourcetreeapp.com/
Last edited on
Doesn't bother me any. The only project I ever hosted there I never even started on. I just made the page so I had a date to show it was my idea in case I ever saw another game of the same name. I don't have the confidence in myself to get it started so still just place holders. Started using Github, but even there I only have a place holder project that I have nothing on.

The only SF project I have on the site in the 12 years I've been there:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wogmoi/

The only Github Project I have in the short while I have been there:
https://github.com/BHXSpecter/RKD
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
I prefer something with an actual UI that makes viewing changes easier and faster. While also giving the repository an actual visual representation for you to look at. Sadly this one isn't for Linux though I'm sure there is something similar.

There are a few GUI Clients for git for linux. I dont really see where you get the idea that a GUI is faster though? It normally takes me less than 5 seconds to update a github repo via terminal. It's essentially 3 commands, add the file(s), comment on change, and push the repo. That could just be me though, i prefer terminal programs over GUI.
Last edited on
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
I dont really see where you get the idea that a GUI is faster though

You can see the changes in each file. I like to look over all the changes before i commit. That is where a specialized tool that shows exactly what was added and removed makes it faster. They are different tools and git is not suited to that task.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
While i prefer terminals also, I do use sourcetree all the time because of it's features. Like xerzi mentioned it is very easy to see a detailed report on all the changes that a action did or will do.

It also greatly simplifies branching and using git-flow http://blog.sourcetreeapp.com/2012/08/01/smart-branching-with-sourcetree-and-git-flow/ which saves me time.

It also gives me a central place where I can view all my git repos on my local machine without jumping around everywhere in the terminal.

In the end it really comes down to preference but using a GUI like sourcetree for git can greatly simplify and increase your work speed specially when you are just getting the hang of git.
@BHX
Stop wishing, and just start codeing already. Just effin' do it man.

I find that starting project ideas is easy but pushing the follow through is the tough part. To see something to completion takes dedication but is perversly satisfying.

Recently I have been using sfml...day one I made hello world with a twist.
The next couple weeks were spent making 'rock paper scissors', and I frequently said what is the point? The point is I made a simple game with funny animations. I got something to show. Now I am into two projects. One a strategy combat game and another a free roaming adventure game demo with 360 degrees of scrolling motion. Sweet!
EssGeEich wrote:
Github (obviously) only allows for uploads via git.
Google Code allows for Mercurial and SVN, too.
GitHub also allows SVN read/write access, and I think there is an hg-git plugin for git that allows support for mercurial.
You can clone a git repository and convert it to a hg repository. There are plugins that do this on the fly so you can't even tell your actually cloning or commiting to a git repository (which is apparently relatively easy given their similarities but at the same time difficult since the two change... a lot).

I really don't get why you'd want to use SVN. There are differences between SVN and modern source control systems that simply better (google for yourself). The only setback (which I honestly don't think is a setback at all) is the frontend.

Yet, people still use CVS for collaborated efforts so I guess I'm preaching to a plant that grows to slowly...
Last edited on
Manga wrote:
Stop wishing, and just start codeing already. Just effin' do it man.

You don't get it, and only someone with social anxiety disorder would understand. People with that disorder are their own worse critic. I've been in therapy from 13 years old to 25 years old and left because I no longer had insurance to pay for it, but honestly, I never saw any difference and neither did my wife. Everyone else sees the potential I have, but all I see (mentally) is that I'm a terrible programmer, but this is derailing the thread again.

So I only made those projects as place holders. I'll eventually get around to just deleting the accounts. Now as for GUI interfaces, I tried using git cola, but only did it for the RKD compo entry for a site I no longer go to.
I don't recall his name but he was a psychiatrist who basically cured his own fears by... doing the fear itself. He had a fear of women (or being denied)... so he went around and asked 100 women to go on a date with him. Most said no fulfilling his fear but some did say yes. After awhile, the fear of being denied just went away.

A lot of people have social anxiety. I consider myself socially introverted due to stress and anxiety issues, and pretty sure there's a clear case of being bipolar. Especially among programmers though (for some reason...), psychological disorders tend to be prevalent. There are a few TED talks that address the problem. You should look at those!

I've started a ton of projects but I've finished almost none of them. However, I'm still proud of those projects as I put hard work into them and they're exactly what I wanted when I made them. It shows that I can accomplish the goals I wanted in the short term but struggle with the long-term (no perseverance) which I have to work on (and shows in my reality as well).
@LB: Well, I didn't know about that, because (as you may have noticed) I didn't like Github that much.
@EssGeEich would you mind sharing your dislikes for people who are deciding whether or not to use GitHub?
@computerquip
Social anxiety != social anxiety disorder. Also, that "cure" doesn't always work. Sometimes it merely worsens issues.

I shall have to check out those TED talks, though.

@EssGeEich
I'm also curious about what you don't like about Github. I haven't had a chance to use it much yet.

-Albatross

Pages: 12