Youtube Changed Comment System

Pages: 1234
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Well I found a new debate on Minecraft forums. It's a decent one too. He's like 30.

I don't idolize Bjarne in anyway, I could care less about him right now, he's really not important to me.

I know he created C++, but that's about it. I'd say I idolize you guys much, much more than him.

#thosefeels
That deserved a report?
I didn't even do anything? Probably because I used a hashtag.

Anyway, I realized why I don't debate about languages in MC Forums. So many C#/Java fanboys.

master debater?
Just realized this. Is this supposed to be a joke?
Last edited on
I can't really say I blame them, I mean, I'd consider myself a C++ fanboy, it would only be unfair for me to pass judgment on someone else's choice of language.
I'm at least trying to acknowledge my fanboy-ism and I try to be open minded, but they just don't care. They come at me saying no GC, I say smart pointers are a better option. Then they say smart pointers leak a lot.

They say C++ is barely used and basically said that the other languages have less errors. I mean seriously?

UGGHHH
Last edited on
@Mats
I wouldn't call Einstein an exemplary human being with the way he treated his wives. I don't know about Feynmann but I have a feeling he wasn't any better. Certainly he was a womaniser. Philosophers make for much better idols. My personal favourites are Dostoyevsky and Nietzsche, although I also really like Kierkegaard because I think he was the pinnacle of philosophical consistency (by which I mean, his actions being consistent with his proclaimed beliefs). Something about the whole thing with his fiancé is very poetic and touching to me, and this is coming from someone very Stoic who typically comes off as cold. Kierkegaard's antithesis would be Ayn Rand, who lived on welfare while calling for welfare to be abolished.

Anyway, my point is, there are much better idols than Einstein or Feynmann, unless you idolise them in purely an intellectual sense, because certainly they were both extremely intelligent and apt physicists.

@Lumpkin
I didn't report you but please stop using hashtags. Imagine hashtagging as an infectious disease and everyone who does it as zombies. This site is one of my few refuges from the disease and now you're bringing it here. Please stop.
On Topic:
I hate the new YT-comment system too - so far. I'm trying to get used to it and learn how it's supposed to be used, but so far I'm pretty confused.
I think the idea to reply is to use @<username> at the beginning of a comment, YT then changes it to a +<username> in the comment as it's posted and somehow links it to [the|a] comment of <username>.

Off Topic:
I think I'm with Lumpkin. I'm a BIG C/C++ fanboy and a passionate Java hater. Therefore my biggest idol is definitely Dennis Ritchie (I know he hasn't much to do with C++, but without C there would be no C++).
And, very important but totally not programming related: Rosalind Franklin (read her story and you know why). Oh, and don't forget Grace Hopper and Alan Turing.
@computerquip
Of course the logic seems kind of off to you. I'm talking about idolizing. You are talking mere appreciation.

As for my second statement, I know tons of people that have idols and then find out they did some bad thing and still feel like it was a let down even long after their death. Some even stop idolizing them and find new idols.
BHXSpecter wrote:
I know tons of people that have idols and then find out they did some bad thing and still feel like it was a let down even long after their death. Some even stop idolizing them and find new idols.

I agree with that, although I'm happy to say that I've yet to learn anything disappointing about Nietzsche. The only point I really disagree with him on is his view that "there are no facts, only perspectives". I think there are some facts. I also think that some perspectives are better or lead to better outcomes than others.
Last edited on
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Even with how Einstein treated his wives (or anything else he did do bad), you can still idolize the part of him that revolutioned parts of science.

I'm also still not convinced that the logic, "Idolizing the invention of someone means you idolize that someone". I certainly don't idolize Walter Bright despite him being the creator of D, my personally favorite language. I don't really know him or his personality either.

ReiserFS is still in heavy uses by certain groups (and still improved on) but the creator is a felon for murdering his wife. I heavily believe that idolizing one thing doesn't mean you automatically idolize a person associated with that thing.

And just for giggles, we can replaces all mentions of "appreciation" with "idolization" and achieve the same effect.
@computerquip: Treated his wives? Like giving away Nobel prize money away to one and touring the world with the other? lol
@computerquip
"Appreciation" and "idolize" aren't interchangeable though. You say it achieves the same effect, then it shows you don't know the meaning of either word. Appreciation is more of a thankful type word. You appreciate your car, the summer, a bath, food, etc. You are thankful for all of them just like you can be thankful for the languages and the people who created them. To idolize someone means you are blindly admiring them or blindly adoring them or in extreme cases, blindly devoting yourself to the person (cults would be a good example of that). When you idolize someone you almost give them god status in your mind.

I idolize Dennis Ritchie, Bjarne Stroustrup, and Ed Boon. I appreciate Chuck Norris, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Sylvester Stallone, and Ryan Reynolds for making movies that I have grown up enjoying and continue to enjoy. I'm thankful they are actors and made movies I like, but I consider Ritchie and Stroustrup to be gods (Dennis more so). I idolize Ed Boon because his interviews, and video game (Mortal Kombat) is want made me want to get into game programming so of course I consider him a god in his own right.
Why are you guys such haters of hastags? They don't even do anything.
This isn't Twitter or Facebook. Not to mention we deal in code and the only 'hashtags' we want to see are #include #define // etc .
Why are you guys such haters of hastags? They don't even do anything.

They take up space.

It is annoying to have people post something that does nothing but take up space. It's the same reason we don't care for spam on the forums, even though it is delicious. Anything which decreases the signal-to-noise ratio is a bad thing for the forums. What constitutes noise and signal in the lounge may be up for debate, but I think hashtags land a fair distance into the noise category.
I can describe what I'm saying in less space with hashtags then I can with full on sentences.
A proper hashtag can be a one-liner... a zinger... or a brief summary.

In the case of Lumpkin's post:

I know he created C++, but that's about it. I'd say I idolize you guys much, much more than him.

#thosefeels

His hashtag here expresses something not directly said in his post. Had he typed "I feel strongly about this" instead... would you have considered that a waste of space? It actually takes up more space!

#thosefeels (albiet a little bit too netmeme-y for me) is a quippy, succinct one-liner which sums up a complementary point to his post. In no way can I see it viewed as a waste of space.

So yeah... I'm with Lumpkin on this one.

#everyonechillax

EDIT:

Of course... that said... I can see it being annoying for the same reason other forms of netspeak (u guise lol hax0rs) can be annoying.

So yeah... there's that.
Last edited on
@BHXSpecter
What about hashtags as indicators of IRC channel names?

@cire
For the most part I agree, but then again do we really care so much about the signal-to-noise ratio in, say, the Lounge?

-Albatross
I can describe what I'm saying in less space with hashtags then I can with full on sentences.

54!
Ah, we have a smart aleck here. :P

I see where you're getting at helios, but it's not like I'm using net-speak excessively. It's only that.
Pages: 1234