Life after college

This is a fairly straight forward topic, which might seem a bit personal but considering there was a picture thread not so long ago it's seemingly more appropriate at the time. Many of you out there reading this have probably attended college and is now out of college rather by dropping out, graduating, or having some sort of break. Now was college as you expected and how did things go afterwards? Did it help you get that job, did it open up new doors with people and getting connections made, was it a complete waist of time. You know, a general outline of how your life was in college or maybe afterwards. Feel free to contribute even if you're not in college yet or aren't planning to go, anything good come out of it? Etc, etc, rumble, rumble :P.

My story so far:

I'm currently attending a simple Information Technology(IT) college, it's a private college. I get taught fairly basic stuff, nothing that I haven't already known for a long time, or that you couldn't learn from a random online forum post. So far I've managed to make one connection and it's with a self taught IT guy who has experience in the field and even more connections than I could imagine for a self taught person. So far college isn't really as expected, it's a lot more boring, I expected to see kids trying to pull some practical jokes, hacks, shenanigans on each other or the school but it's no where near, needless to mention though since that's up to the college you attend.

That's about it for my story actually since I'm not done with it. I've basically self taught most of the things they could offer so college is like a big review book.
Last edited on
I started mine recently having worked loads first, I think life after college will be better because I had no qualifications, so i did crappy jobs.

after is going to be amazing, I will be rich and have a ferrari and lots of wives that I will visit with my ferrari.
I'm currently going to community college for transfer credentials to try and get into the university of washington's CS program. thats my hope at least.

i've been enjoying college alot, but i'm doing alot of varied classes as opposed to strictly IT ( and now after learning the actually classes need to have a chance to get in the CS program, im not taking any IT )
I'm in my second year of college finishing off my A-levels in chemistry maths and physics.
It's not been what I expected at all really, rather boring (although yes rather educational), and I've had a lot less luck with girls as I was hoping for but oh well XD

After I finish this year my plan is to move into a shared place so bills are cheaper while being supported by a little job I won't care much about.
I've been building a game engine for just over a year now and the plan is to keep developing while making it by in life, once my engine is complete (and the game it's designed for) hopefully that'll get me going in life...
Otherwise I suppose I'll just try again (with the now already complete engine).

Failing that, hopefully I'll consider myself a high enough standard programmer to look for a job in that rather than the make do job

P.S. What's the difference between a 'college' and a 'community college' in US?
Last edited on
What's the difference between a 'college' and a 'community college' in US?

A community college is a (usually cheaper) place to go to get your two year degree in preparation for transferring to a college or university where you can work towards a higher degree. They also tend to offer certificates and courses that are useful for/to local business interests.
Factors wrote:
Now was college as you expected and how did things go afterwards? Did it help you get that job, did it open up new doors with people and getting connections made, was it a complete waist of time. You know, a general outline of how your life was in college or maybe afterwards.

Here's my experience: after getting a silver in IChO, I was invited to an experimental college with focus on material science: they taught us chemistry (all of it), physics (mainly solid state, semiconductors, etc), and math (with emphasis on numerical methods and continuum mechanics). I added some computer science to the mix because I was interested in it but wasn't sure it would make a solid career. It was more intense than I could ever imagine (and just the way I liked it).

By graduation, I was already spending every weekend programming at a chemistry startup and had a bench chemistry job lined up, both offered through the connections made in college. Later on there was grad school, PhD, and a zig-zagging career that zeroed in on C++ programming.
Wow
Cubbi :
Here's my experience: after getting a silver in IChO, I was invited to an experimental college with focus on material science: they taught us chemistry (all of it), physics (mainly solid state, semiconductors, etc), and math (with emphasis on numerical methods and continuum mechanics)

Wowzers, you're quite the academic one aren't you? I've never been too much of the academic one. Maybe it's just that I've been spoiled too much by the television or maybe by my freedom but I just can't seem to put enough care into Schooling to the point where I might even want to try for a master, or Phd.

SatsumaBenji :
After I finish this year my plan is to move into a shared place so bills are cheaper while being supported by a little job I won't care much about.
I've been building a game engine for just over a year now and the plan is to keep developing while making it by in life, once my engine is complete

That was exactly my plan when I was about to leave High School, I never got to accomplish that plan though since finding a job for myself and also finding a close enough person to trust that also had a job became an impossible task.

Paoletti301 :
I'm currently going to community college for transfer credentials to try and get into the university of washington's CS program. thats my hope at least.

Hopefully you don't do what I did and forget to make sure that you have all the prerequisite tests that the University wants. I know that in my area of living there's a big percentage of colleges that want a specific SAT score minimum.
Last edited on
I'm attending (part time) as a freshman, getting a bachelor's degree. In my spare time I study C++ by working on my own projects. I hope to create one that I can sell, or mabey find some way to profit from my very profound skill, as I know there are a LOT of opportunities in the field. I am realistic, though, and am trying to find a job in a city that is pretty much full of ignoramus or high school dropouts, as the main commodity here is "entertainment".

I suppose ignorance really is "bliss" in some places...
IWishIKnew
ignoramus or high school dropouts, as the main commodity here is "entertainment".

I suppose ignorance really is "bliss" in some places...

I happen to live in one of those places. I'd stay way from them if you're looking for intellectualism as a main priority in people. I know because I'm fairly alone when it comes to programming and finding people who program... So far out of the 200'ish(This is excluding my professors...) people I've met here there's only one that programs, well sort of. The guy's a self taught IT guy... The one I mentioned in my story above.
Last edited on
I don't think intellect is that important, but these people have an arrogance that they have a will to share with others, which I just find undearable.

You can be the most stupid person on the planet and I wont mind, just don't go about spreading falsities...

I, however, do recognize that, in finding a job, I can not be particular about with whom I work.

@factors

I do understand: I have met only a single person who is passionate about what they are studying. Think about it: these people are going to be "professionals" for the rest of their lives too...
Last edited on
@Factors:
That was exactly my plan when I was about to leave High School, I never got to accomplish that plan though since finding a job for myself and also finding a close enough person to trust that also had a job became an impossible task.

Well I know that finding a job is hard but basically my idea is that as long as I don't really care what it is and that it makes money, go for it.
Best case I like the job and end up sticking with it and running the joint at some point, worst case I keep going while doing my programming and looking for a second job to take it over.

Also housing in UK is pretty expensive in general so there are loads of people that desperately want a way of getting cheaper rent, hence they don't want to prat about and end up losing there place. £50-70/w is usual for a shared place for students, and a minimum wage at 20 hours a week brings about £70-90/w so it's just manageable with a bit of effort.

You just gotta remember that you don't get something for nothing! :)

SatsumaBenji wrote:
£50-70/w is usual for a shared place for students, and a minimum wage at 20 hours a week brings about £70-90/w

Well, I guess it means beans and rice for a few years if you want to live on your own.
Last edited on
UK minimum wage is £6.30 an hour or £5 an hour if you're 18-21. Either way, 20 hours a week is going to bring in over £100+ / week. You can also get a low interest loan to cover the cost of housing while you're in university.
Last edited on
The student loan is not means tested, so everyone is entitled to it (same for the tuition loan), although if you can go without it, I would recommend you do, and save yourself over £10,000 in debt (although you'll never get another loan that you only begin to pay back when you're earning at least £21,000 and where whatever you've not paid off is written off after 30 years). There is also a grant which is the same amount, but you don't have to repay it. The grant is means tested, however, so if the primary earner in your household earns more than a certain amount, you will get less, or nothing at all. And I think you may have to take the loan to get the grant.

Also, from experience, I can tell you that if you don't get the grant, the loan is nowhere near enough to cover your expenses. Even with my parents paying my rent, I have virtually no money.
I beleive that minimum wage for under 18s is a lot lower, hence my miserable estimates but even this low is plenty to start off with.

I was thinking about taking a game programming course in uni but I couldn't figure out which would be best suited to me (and for £45,000 I'd want to get it right) and also I thought that perhaps I could teach myself a lot in 3 years without the debt.

I'd also get a lot more free time to myself if I just have a job and a hobby rather than a job, uni, assignments to do between classes, and the engine.

But still, I think I've got at least a suitable plan (or I HOPE)

Well, I guess it means beans and rice for a few years if you want to live on your own.
nothing's that expensive if you know how to shop... And either way, I quite like beans and rice XD
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.