• Forum
  • Lounge
  • How Can I Get My Mom To Make Me a PayPal

How Can I Get My Mom To Make Me a PayPal?

Pages: 12
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I need your guy's advice... How can I get my mom to let me get a paypal. Every single time I tell her she says no and wont listen to me.

She says I don't have a job to put money on it.
closed account (NUj6URfi)
Why do you need one? I love stuff like this.
I want a paypal so I can actually do some of the odd-jobs on the site. Some of them are in my skill range.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
have you tried telling her why?
Parents are an issue. Instead of asking her for a PayPal, ask her to let you use hers to get money. Then, next time you are in need of buying something, ask her to buy it for you using the money that you have earned (keep note of how much you earn). If she sees that you are actually accumulating some income, she will most likely allow you to have one.

This completely worked for me, I'm 14 and do small programming jobs and have actually managed to rack up a decent amount of money (for a teenager).
She doesn't have a paypal to my knowledge.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Why not just take on the jobs you believe you can do for free? It will provide you with great experience for later on and provide you with connections and references which are worth 100 times more then the payment little jobs will get you at your age.

As for the paypal account it is ultimately up to your parents to decide that and there is no way to make your parents to do it (If they create a account for you they are saying they are liable for every business transaction you make). Also I believe to recieve payments you must have either a credit card or bank account on file (Though don't quote me on that they might have changed it since the long time I have used paypal)
But I need money for a new PC. I need one to speed up the dev process.

Also I believe to recieve payments you must have either a credit card or bank account on file (Though don't quote me on that they might have changed it since the long time I have used paypal)
Yea, you do need one. That's why I want my mom to make me one.

I know it's up to my parents and such.
Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Yea, you do need one. That's why I want my mom to make me one.

(no offense is meant by this comment) Your parents would be completely stupid if they created a account using their credit card or bank account and gave their 12 year old son/daughter access to it.

At that age most kids don't know the value of a dollar (Hell I am twice that age and am still learning) and more then likely would take advantage of the account. Now I am not saying you would but it just isn't a smart thing to do in my opinion.

Personally I would give up on getting a account of your own.

If anything like J4ke mentioned see if they will create account for themselves and have all the jobs you do transfer payment to them and they can just give you the cash or however you want to do it.
I'm not actually going to buy anything with it without their permission. My mother would never let me have full access to their account. (She isn't an idiot)

What I would like is a seperate bank account which is empty, and I only add money to it. I'd still have to ask my mother to buy anything.

That way, there would be no way she loses money. The only one who would would be me. No problems would be caused.

Last edited on
Zereo wrote:
At that age most kids don't know the value of a dollar (Hell I am twice that age and am still learning) and more then likely would take advantage of the account. Now I am not saying you would but it just isn't a smart thing to do in my opinion.

I completely agree with this statement and know from experience. Over the course of my time with PayPal, I've probably blown $150 on various crap that I don't need. As time goes on and I have more and more stuff that I have a true legitimate use for that my parents either cannot or will not supply for me, I have been trying to lessen the amount that I spend on things that I do not need other than for a couple hours of personal enjoyment.

If my parents had been in control of my money, I probably would have never spent it. However, I figure that it's much better to learn this life lesson now rather than later, so in a way I'm happy I did it.
Last edited on
But I'm investing it in something that will make me even MORE money.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
But I'm investing it in something that will make me even MORE money.

my dirty mind went straight to what Tom Cruise did in Risky Buisness ;)
My best advice is to sit down with your parents in a few days, when both of them (and do it with both of them unless there is some reason that you cannot do this). Make sure that neither of them are stressed or busy, you need them to be in a good mood and completely done and not rushed with anything. Tell them why you need it, what you need it for, and compromise with them. Do not yell, I have made this mistake so many times. Yelling will upset them and will not serve in your favor at all. If they say no, stop asking for a while.

Also, offer to do something that will benefit them or do something that they want you to do. For instance, in return for various privileges that I have, including unlimited time on the computer and trust so that I can have a PayPal, keep my computer in my room with the door closed, etc, I keep straight 'A's and do some chores, along with cook dinner once every week or so.
I'll write my propositions down on a new, professional email (to show I'm serious), and I will write down in perfect grammar and spelling, why, and how I will use the account then. Thanks.
Last edited on
what you could do, is sell some programs. If you write GUI it might be easier to sell. Just buy some DVDRs and put the program on all of them (calculate the cost of each disc + whatever you want your profit margin to be).
Last edited on
But who would actually buy them? CDs DVDs with sharpie on them look as unprofessional as hell.
Last edited on
¿What's your point? A kid selling software that he [supposedly] wrote is shady as hell, regardless of how "professional" it looks :p

You could just make a label for the DVD with some nifty artwork. Of course, you would have to factor that into your costs:

http://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-CD-DVD-Media-Labels-80-Pack/product_431033_2-CA_1_20001?kpid=431033&cid=PS:SBD:GS:n:n:SBD:58:21800&gclid=CIHbr7OK47oCFcYRMwodvDAAtA
What ever happened to mowing yards? I seem to remember as a kid if I needed money, I did work. And didn't bitch about my mom not giving me things.
J4ke said:
Make sure that neither of them are stressed or busy

As a parent, BWHA! BWHA HA HA HA! I can't breath! What an epic spit take! That made my night and you owe me a new keyboard! Not really though, I'm just expressing my mirth regarding that idea.

@ OP: You've been on the internet long enough to know that nothing gets between family faster then money. I know I've brought this up before but bit-coin is your friend, or light-coin or what ever. Do your research, play it right, you shouldn't need a proxy just a brain and some ambition.

EDIT: @ ResidentBiscuit: I've shoveled so much snow that I could do it in my sleep. Mowing grass is for light weights.
Last edited on
Pages: 12