Coding and Dating, any experiences you want to share.

Pages: 1... 4567
Allow me to rephrase.

If your job is a major deciding factor as to whether or not a girl does (or doesn't) want to get with you.... then the girl is not worth your time.

At least IMO.
@Disch
They like them (in my experience) because of their personality which is a little different from normal one. Not by their job.
I guess I just don't correlate "programmer" with a specific personality. I know and work with a lot of programmers and they all have as unique a personality as anyone else I know.

Your job/hobby is just your job/hobby. It does not define you as a person.
I know and work with a lot of programmers.

Maybe that's why you couldn't understand the difference, if someone other than a programmer hasn't told you.
Me too came to know about this difference when my fellow students pointed me with one another coder having a distinct personality.
I still don't buy it.

I hang out with a lot of people who aren't programmers, as well... and if I didn't know already, I wouldn't be able to tell which ones were programmers and which aren't just from their personality. The two really just aren't related.

I mean sure you can get some programmers who are geekier than your average person... but that's hardly a rule. Just being a programmer doesn't automatically make you a geek.
I thought programmers were like the FBI..."We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of."...."We programmers do not have a personality we're aware of." My wife says I have a personality and that I'm laid back, but I think she is wrong. Women like programmers? Maybe, I've been programming going on 20 years now and with my wife going on 13 years, but when I start talking about programming she rolls her eyes. Actually, she loves me, but doesn't care when I start talking about video games, game development, or programming.

Now, I've told tons that I'm a programming and a lot of them almost instantly think I'm well off or that I have made some big popular application. Soon as I tell them I'm an indie game programmer, their demeanor change and they tell me that is childish and I should get a real job. Others still think it is cool and ask for my email (which usually blows up with requests to make some goofy clone of an existing game for their stories).

My point is that some girls find you program and hate it. Other women find out and don't care but like you anyways (like my wife). Still other women find out and instantly start seeing dollar signs and try to mold you into making them money to support the idealized version of a lifestyle. There are other women that are in other extremes or in the middle of two. As they news has shown, you can never tell what kind of person you may have fallen for so you have to be real careful when meeting women or men online. I was lucky because my wife and I met online and have been happy ever since, but you never know when you will find that one person that will flip and hurt you .
Last edited on
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
Disch wrote:
Just being a programmer doesn't automatically make you a geek.

True enough, or perhaps false enough. I'd like to see some numbers before taking a side in this one.

While most of the other programmers I know are socially awkward misfits, I'm probably almost the opposite of a 'geek', except for the hour or so I spend winding down after work (right now). Right now it's looking at about 8 geeky out of 10 from my personal experience. Should be noted now, my geekometer is not backed by the ISO.
Right now it's looking at about 8 geeky out of 10 from my personal experience.

As long as you can find one computer guy who isn't a geek, then my point stands true.

I personally know several (excluding myself, since I'm obviously going to be biased there).

A stereotype is a stereotype. Yeah... there are some truth to stereotypes (sometimes), but that doesn't mean they're always true. Nor does it mean people should (or do) assume they're true.
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
@Disch

I think we can plainly see a difference in personality between those who see the truth ^of the stereotype and those who view the situation using boolean logic. I'm just being a pain in the ass right now. I'll exit the thread.

:)
Last edited on
closed account (j3Rz8vqX)
Although, I've got no statistics on this, I'll agree with Disch's comment on personality.

Stereotyping

Example: (Simply words - Don't let your imagination get the better of you):
Chinese, Indian, Red neck, Foreigner, American(North,Central,South), Colored, Immigrant, Caucasian(Turkish/Iranian), Muslims, ..., Programmer.
(Don't give me that apple/orange logic)

[Super-Delete]

[Re-railing]
When you're involved with a lady, expect time share.
After lust and love comes mutual understanding; you'd best find someone you can communicate with - unless your only after the goods.

Maybe her programming habits might reflect her personality?
People often say eating habits reflect personality.

But then again, we'd best not analyze women; was just a thought though.
Last edited on
There is something about geeky women that just burns me up. I love it...

But how do you know if a women is a geek? I don't see too many coder females, but I have discovered the way to find the female version of a geek. It is called cosplay. These chick geeks really get into it.

Also... Luc said he is the opposite of a geek, and then said geekometer...
:)
Last edited on
But how do you know if a women is a geek?

I don't know... Maybe by talking to them?

Anyway, I think this entire thread is ridiculous. You should not aim to go out with someone because they are or are not a coder or because they are or are not this way or that. You should just go out with them because you make each other happy, which is really all that counts.
But how do you know if a women is a geek?

.......... maybe, just by starting a discussion on pc's, codes, etc etc
Mats wrote:
I don't know... Maybe by talking to them?

But that would break the stereotype of geeks being too nerdy to approach girls!

Damn, saying that makes me want to go watch Revenge of the Nerds box set I have. (Yes I have the box set of the movies and love them...well maybe not Nerds In Love...the idea of Booger being married me cringe).
Last edited on
I think girls tend to like guys who have some kind of special skill or talent. Computer programming could be something that helps you in that way. Of course someone who can play guitar very well probably still has a leg up on you.
I think girls tend to like guys who have some kind of special skill or talent. Computer programming could be something that helps you in that way. Of course someone who can play guitar very well probably still has a leg up on you.

Someone watches too many films and/or pays too much attention to the media! Women (generally) want good looks, good hygiene, a good sense of humour, someone who is reasonably nice and who can look after themselves financially and who help around the house. Honestly, if you can tick all those boxes, you will find yourself having a lot of potential partners.
who can look after themselves financially
and who help around the house.

ha ha.. true.... XD

you may include :
one who is interested in shopping.
XD
you may include :
one who is interested in shopping.
XD

No, I really do not think you can include this.
closed account (j3Rz8vqX)
There are too many factors (possibly age or society).

I prefer this post:
You should not aim to go out with someone because they are or are not a coder or because they are or are not this way or that. You should just go out with them because you make each other happy, which is really all that counts.

Basics humanly needs:
Maslow`s hierarchy of needs: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs
Age, society, interests, and attraction are really the only factors that influence it. Even then, age and society aren't as big as they used to be because you have senior citizens dating and marrying people in their 20s/30s.

Age; some prefer to date someone in their age range, while some prefer to date younger or older.

Society; where the lines are well defined you normally won't see relationships between them, but where the lines are blurred you will see relationships. Where they are well defined there is almost like a rule that you never date outside your level which is odd.

Interest; shopping, music, movies, tv shows, dancing, etc. Usually you would want to get into a relationship with someone that has some or a lot of the same interests as you.

Attraction; better to find someone that is attracted to you and that you are attracted to. This is hit or miss as you see women that could have a career as a model dating or married to a guy like me, for example.
Pages: 1... 4567