Marine Debate

"“They were preparing to get out,” says Col Wilson. “Then I think the sergeant thought: 'I’d look a bit of a dick if this bloke gets up and wanders off.’”
He sees the killing as “a tidying-up exercise” by someone who didn’t want to get shot in the back as he left or have to explain to his controllers why he wasn’t able to tell a live man from a dead one.
“He doesn’t really think he’s alive, but belt-and-braces, just to make sure, without thinking too deeply about it, he pulls the trigger. Pop. Then he has a bit of a shock because the bloke moves, there are death throes and it is quite clear he was alive.”

Should Marine A receive a life sentence? "

hmm... I think yes.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Huh?

-----
EDIT:
Ah, I honestly think he shouldn't because some people get really messed up from wars. My mother is a veteran, and she talks about the people she meets at this meet she goes to. People from 'nam are really messed up from seeing their friends die infront of them.

He needs therapy, because the U.S. should be responsible for his mental state of mind after what he's been through.
Last edited on
I don't know what to think about this one. Those marines are put in horribly traumatizing situations that their training couldn't possibly have fully prepared them for, but then they're expected to act rationally.

I think he's in need of very serious rehabilitation, not a life sentence.

-Albatross
Maybe a life sentence in a mental/rehabilitation home.
After all he did not actually consciously and with full control of mind kill anyone.
Bottom Line: If the world were ruled by women, there would be no wars...only countries not talking to each other.
Script Coder wrote:
If the world were ruled by women, there would be no wars...only countries not talking to each other.

I disagree. I think that if the world was ruled by women, women would have grown to take the role of men, and would just as ruthless as men have been. Power has that kind of effect on people.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Man, das sexism.

There isn't enough context in OP for me to make a decision. Missing information such as what/who he shot, what the recent situation was, so on. Sadly, I believe we live in a world where killing can be justified given a context and extreme circumstances.

I disagree. I think that if the world was ruled by women, women would have grown to take the role of men, and would just as ruthless as men have been. Power has that kind of effect on people.
Man, das sexism.

It is a joke, get it: funny haha. That type of joke...
There isn't enough context in OP for me to make a decision. Missing information such as what/who he shot, what the recent situation was, so on. Sadly, I believe we live in a world where killing can be justified given a context and extreme circumstances.

I spent some time on Google last night and managed to find these (WARNING: the second of the following links contains the audio from the alleged murder which some may consider "graphic"):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10454013/Marine-A-its-a-question-of-leniency.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2490712/Caught-camera-British-Army-patrol-Afghanistan-moments-soldiers-murdered-injured-Taliban-insurgent-shooting-chest.html

The first link contains the quote in the OP, so I would presume that this is indeed the case in question. The second seems in line with what the first one talked about (even "Marine A").

Hope that clears this up a little bit.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.