Contact an Admin

How do I contact an admin?

Can you delete the following threads created by user cuponooodles?
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/102716/
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/103784/
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/103725/
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/103129/

Actually it seems this user only posted to violate the course collaboration so deleting all of his posts would be great. All these are threads created in direct violation of our course's collaboration policy, course: University of CA Riverside CS010. The last one I updated to include provides a solution to one of the homework functions (although probably too complicated for most of our students to understand) it is in clear violation of C++.com's posting guidelines (in addition to breaking our course collaboration policy).

The threads were just brought to my attention and provide little to no help / useful information. I would like them to be deleted so that other students that may utilize this site as a reference don't discover them and deem it okay to post about assignments since this student did.
Last edited on
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
There's nothing wrong with asking for help on assignments so I don't really see how your logic can be justified. Even if one of the members flat out give the answer, its a professor's job to determine if the answer is valid. It's quite easy to find a blatant answer on a public forum.
Last edited on
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
admins user name is admin. no you cant delete them. i woullnt pay too much attention to them; theyll be gone eventually.if you want to make a big deal you can report them to twicker if need be. you can also notify your professor so he can be aware of cheating
Also need to understand. The homework guideline is more like we won't do the homework for you, but we will help you with understanding the homework. Also, I'm a little suspect as I've never heard of a college not allowing a student to go to sites to get help with something if they are having trouble with it.
Thank you all for your replies. I will PM the admin account.

@DTSCode, I am the instructor currently and have worked with the prior instructor. I am the creator of the two assignments that were posted in reference to OP. The assignments were designed in a way that it would be difficult to acquire a verbatim solution from another. There are a million ways to implement a text based tic-tac-toe but many less that will satisfy our specification. Same with percolation, we don't give the students all the code which is why the post and request for "help" yielded little help because the student could not explain the other functions or provide code for them.

@computerquip My logic is justified in that I am the creator of the content and I want it removed. The poster in question was in blatant violation of policies laid out by the course when he or she came to seek aid here. I understand that there are a ton of public forums and access routes to get people to do their work in one way or another. That doesn't mean that it should be endorsed or that it should be left up for others to find and thus be deemed an acceptable route by them as others had done it before.

@BHXSpecter Their syllabus clearly states their programming assignments are to be completed on their own without outside aid beyond attending office hours or posting inquiries to the class discussion (Piazza). Programming assignment questions are responded to by TAs or Instructors. Seeking aid from others or other students is a direct violation of the conduct and collaboration policy. This policy is implemented so that students do their own work and is much more strict on programming assignments than smaller lab exercises on which collaboration is encouraged.
I do hope your request to remove the posts will be denied.

Otherwise I fear this could set a bad precedent, with more people like you policing the forums just to stop us from helping beginners.
Actually it seems this user only posted to violate the course collaboration so deleting all of his posts would be great. All these are threads created in direct violation of our course's collaboration policy, course: University of CA Riverside CS010.

Let me get this straight, cuponooodles, a perfectly normal beginner user on this site, has made a few posts about homework assignments. You, atkoehler, are a person claiming to be his lecturer/professor and are demanding that the site close his account. What is stopping me from making an account and claiming to be another user's professor and then demanding that the administrator remove their account.

The last one I updated to include provides a solution to one of the homework functions (although probably too complicated for most of our students to understand) it is in clear violation of C++.com's posting guidelines (in addition to breaking our course collaboration policy).

Would you mind quoting which policy he broke and the exact post in which he broke it?

The threads were just brought to my attention and provide little to no help / useful information. I would like them to be deleted so that other students that may utilize this site as a reference don't discover them and deem it okay to post about assignments since this student did.

If they provide no helpful info what is the use of deleting them. Also, as far as I understand a student that even finds this site is "breaking our course collaboration policy" therefore if they are here it is too late. Also, what is stopping any student who knows how to do basic Google searches from doing the same thing?

Bottom Line: Your identity is unable to be proven, and therefore your credentials are useless, and your demands should not be met. It is an internal control issue, not this or any other web administrator's.
@Script Coder
I agree wholeheartedly with your remarks.

atkoehler wrote:
Their syllabus clearly states their programming assignments are to be completed on their own without outside aid beyond attending office hours or posting inquiries to the class discussion (Piazza). Programming assignment questions are responded to by TAs or Instructors. Seeking aid from others or other students is a direct violation of the conduct and collaboration policy. This policy is implemented so that students do their own work and is much more strict on programming assignments than smaller lab exercises on which collaboration is encouraged.

@atkoehler
Then your syllabus royally sucks and needs re-written. I've been programming for 17 years and have the privilege of being friends with several programmers in the US as well as a lot of programmers here. They are always telling me about how they talk to other programmers to get help on things they get stuck on by either going online or talking to others on the project. Having a policy that handicaps their resources for getting help when they are stuck has to be the most ill thought out policy I've ever heard. Ranks right up there with Obamacare.

Furthermore, C++.com's policy is that we won't do their homework for them. It doesn't keep us from giving advice that helps the students figure out how to reach a solution.
It is an internal control issue, not this or any other web administrator's.

Exactly that. It's not the purpose of cplusplus.com to help enforce your policies.

Trying to disrupt this forum's activities must surely be one of the least elegant approaches you could take.
@Catfish666
I agree. I also got to thinking, for an alleged course instructor of a CS class, he went about the most childish way of handling it. Someone in that kind of position would have looked for the contact link and filed a complaint under Administrative Issues. His whole complaint seems questionable.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
wait... they aren't allowed to get help on a trivial assignment like that? execuse my language, but what the hell are you thinking? the only way i am a programmer is because they will answer my trivial questions. it is horrible to be taught to practice on your own. if that was hard coded into me my code would be even worse than it was.
Catfish666 wrote:
I do hope your request to remove the posts will be denied.
I wholeheartedly agree.

@atkoehler
The day cplusplus.com sensors posts to adhere to someones course policy will be a very unfortunate day, because everything we believe in will have gone down the shitter. The whole reason this place exists is to get help. The poster (as far as i'm aware) hasn't violated any of our rules. If you feel the need to punish him/her, that seems like it's your problem and not ours.
I'm finding it hard to believe that you don't realize how ridiculous this request is, though.
I sincerely hope that your request to delete these threads is denied.

Also, not allowing your students to collaborate is ridiculous. I hope your students continue to come here and ask questions so they can keep learning and growing.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.