Need help deciding college course

Pages: 12
I really want to do both courses however i can only choose one.

IT Software development(which includes --
Computer Programming and Animation,
- Event Driven Programming (Introduction to Android App Development),
- Advanced Use of Databases and Spreadsheets,
- Website Customisation and Development,
- Computer Systems,
- Computer Networking,
- IT System Analysis and Design,
- Employability Skills.)

IT networking and computing(which includes-- Computer Programming
- Computer Systems
- Troubleshooting Computer Systems
- Communication Technologies
- Website Development
- Systems Security
- Computer Networking
- IT System Analysis and Design
- Employability Skills)

I want to either be a ethical hacker, or a games developer. But i want to choose the course that can enable me to do both. I also want to do computer science in university.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Well, sh*t.

I'd guess I'd go for the second if I were you, more security stuff. Game dev is something that you can learn over the internet, security things aren't easy to find because it's usually flooded with kiddie-crap.
Both sound legit. Second will probably be more worth while though. Having skills besides just programming will definitely give you a leg up.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
your looking in the wrong places then lumpkin ;)
i would say top is more game delvelopment stuff while the second could be considered more white hat i guess
They don't seem to be a game course or a hacker course either.

The first one is for generic Software development (It only has an INTRODUCTION to android app development, no "game" word is inside the description).
The second one is NOT for software development at first sight.

But I'd go for the 2nd one.

The first one, as Lumpkin also said, can really be found from http://www.google.com

But MAKE SURE the 2nd one is something that actually interests you.
it doesnt have to say game skills for it to apply to gaming. it teaches events, database analysis, and animation. as to the second, white hat hacking isnt just about writing software. understanding networking is a good skill to learn for it too.
@DTSCode That's exactly what I said.
if your referring to my last my post then that was meant for ssg. if your talking about
your looking in the wrong places then lumpkin ;)

then i was referring to how you said
security things aren't easy to find because it's usually flooded with kiddie-crap.
. ive downloaded a bunch of ebooks for it
thanks for your help guys, i would like some more opinions though :)
If you want to be an ethical hacker, I'd say the second is a better route. This is based purely on the fact that I can see modules on communication technologies and security systems.

Neither of them pertain to games programming, if you ask me. Games programming is usually pretty maths-heavy and most big companies (if that's the way you're looking to head) will almost certainly ask for strong maths skills. If they're not a prerequisite for a course then they should certainly be part of the syllabus. On top of that, they'd be looking for C++ proficiency. I don't see that in either course. I'd imagine the Android module would be Java and, as SGH said, there's no mention of games there.

Games programming is a big industry, though. It's not like big companies are the be-all-and-end-all of the industry nowadays. Even the smallest of hobbyist bedroom developers has a potential avenue to a huge customer base through mobile development. No matter what course you choose, this is always an option.
Why is everybody saying option 2 will teach you to be a hacker? I definitely don't see anything mentioning hacking...
Of course not. Its not a skill. Hacking is about trying to break limitations on the os.
Which that course does not teach. It just gives you knowledge outside of software development.

Not to mention, it is a huge course. I can't imagine how they even have time to hit each of those topics in a semester...
Last edited on
I said it will teach Security.
I agree with ResidentBiscuit on this one. Before I read his post I thought these were referring to entire programs, not just one course. I can see the sylabus for stuff like this now:

- Computer Systems: "This is a computer. This is a Mouse. Please do not eat them."
- Trouble Shooting: "Is it plugged in? Have you turned it off and on again?..."
- Communication Technologies: "This is Email. This is how you use Email...."
- Website Development: You could probably actually learn HTML in a week or three.
- Systems Security: "Do not trust royalty from any country."
- Computer Networking: "This is a spool of network cable. You will be punching heads onto these like a six year old in a sweat shop until you want to physically assault me with the crimping tool. You will never have to do this in the real world but I want to make you suffer as I have."
- IT System Analysis and Design: "See Trouble Shooting"
- Employability Skills: "Do not shoot Heroin. This will make you unemployable. Here is how you can write your resume so as to be completely unscrupulous without technically committing pergery."

@ OP: Please don't fall into the same trap I did and get trapped into one of those for profit schools just because their courses sound cooler. It isn't worth the price tag.
Last edited on
@OP

if you want to do CS at a university, make sure you have any required courses for that university in the first place. Most universities that i have seen care more about math and physics than tech courses
@computer geek: i take it you didnt have a good college experience?

This is a spool of network cable. You will be punching heads onto these like a six year old in a sweat shop until you want to physically assault me with the crimping tool. You will never have to do this in the real world but I want to make you suffer as I have."
not entirely true. i intern at a company and the guy im currently doing projects for has to do that
I said it will teach Security

Not in one course :)

This is a spool of network cable. You will be punching heads onto these like a six year old in a sweat shop until you want to physically assault me with the crimping tool. You will never have to do this in the real world but I want to make you suffer as I have

This is something my networking series (two semesters) never even mentioned, and it's something that I've had to do at least a handful of times in the real world. And damn it can be a painful process. But we have cable techs who generally do this, as I imagine any decent sized shop will have.
I have to punch a head onto a cable less then once a year. If you're the new guy in your shop then it's one of the things that we usually want to make sure you know how to do. But the amount of time I spent practicing how to do this in class compared to the number of times it was necessary IRL is way different. Cat 5e comes pre-made, it is cheaper to order it this way at some median length for your shop then it is to spend the time making your own.
If you're pulling cable through a building you have to punch it down. They come in huge spools. We get 1000 foot long spools that we can pull from and cut to the length we need. But this is still a cable tech job. Us admins only do it on rare occasions when the techs are occupied with something else.
Pages: 12