any way to upgrade from 32 bit linux to 64 bit linux?

closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
i didnt realize this until a little while ago, but now i have some time to devote to the problem. anyways, i accidently grabbed a 32 bit ubuntu disk i made for a friend, instead of my 64 bit disk. i know my arch is 64 bit, so my question is, is it possible to safely upgrade my os to 64 bit without backing up, formatting, and reinstalling?
Theoretically. I would look for 64-bit packages and replace the relevant 32-bit packages with those. That said, it may be a very time-consuming process

I recall that Ubuntu has an "upgrade" feature in its installer that allows you to replace a preexisting Linux OS on a disk with an Ubuntu release. That may or may not be of help.

-Albatross
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
On Arch Linux, I can do this... but only because I'm familiar with their packaging system. On Ubuntu, I think you can use a 64-bit CD to "repair" the installation. I'm unsure though.
...that said, typically the answer is NO!

Unless your arch specifically says you can do this, you can't.
Duoas, he said he has a 64-bit capable CPU.
Can't you just upgrade to the 64 bit kernel?
A new kernel might not even be needed. You would just have to get your current package manager to fix the userspace binaries. Really depends on the distro....
Last edited on
Well, it does appear to be possible. But not safely...

This procedure is, in every possible respect, a bad idea. If it eats your firstborn, please don't come crying to me.

and

Seriously; the official documentation specifically declares this procedure to be impossible, which should give you some idea of how bad an idea this is.

Upgrading Debian From i386 To amd64
http://users.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/hobbies/debian_arch_up/

Andy

Found via:

Is it possible to “upgrade” from a 32bit to a 64bit installation?
http://askubuntu.com/questions/5018/is-it-possible-to-upgrade-from-a-32bit-to-a-64bit-installation
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.