• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Open-source Playstation 4 emulator proje

Open-source Playstation 4 emulator project!

Pages: 123
I was browsing through SourceForge and found that there's a new project that intends on bringing a PS4 emulator into existence for x86-64 on Windows and Linux.

Here's the link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/playstation4emulatorx8664pc/

I am kind of interested in chiming in. What do you guys think? Any interest/good? >
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I'm sure that you're the one who started this project, since the user was registered 2 days ago.

Anywho, does the 'creator' have any sort of team currently?
I did not start the project, I found it whilst browsing.

I am unware of the details thus far, but I tried emailing the developer and no response yet.
Given that you actually replied, I'll take my assumption back. How long ago did you mail him?
At about 12:00 PM today. I can provide the email if you want it, but the project started two days ago and no changes. Could it be fake?
Two days is a bit of a short time to determine whether or not what the project is offering is vaporware. It's possible that the project owner wanted to reserve a site before he/she had anything completed and will be pushing changes to it over time.

Although making a working console emulator with acceptable performance is a very difficult task, this could turn out to be interesting. We'll just have to wait an see.

-Albatross
Is this legal?
Why not?
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
The only thing that wouldn't be legal about it is if it were to use some sort of software (BIOS image?) from the console. Some PS2 emulators can use the proprietary BIOS image but will not include it with it due to legal matters.

EDIT: Also maybe legal issues with connecting to remote servers.
Last edited on
Wasn't there a thread a couple of days ago about how bad sourceforge was?
this is silly.

if ps4 is using x86/x64 arch then why writing emulator? It would more fit to modify the ps4 os and make it run on typical PC, but instead of using build in modules, like gpu, use dedicated one.
Last edited on
how in the hell, already??? Is it legal to emulate such a thing? I mean, I know the bios is illegal to have if you don't own it from your own personal ps1/ps2/ps3/etc. I know its illegal to pass along roms as well. I think though with the architecture of PS4 x86, it might be somewhate easy to crack/emulate it though.
Is it legal to emulate such a thing?

I believe your question has been asked and answered.

My question is, won't you need a lot of processing power to emulate successfully? I read an article on emulating an xbox 360 and remember it saying that you would need something like 2-3 high end GPUs to get any sort of playable quality.
My question is, won't you need a lot of processing power to emulate successfully? I read an article on emulating an xbox 360 and remember it saying that you would need something like 2-3 high end GPUs to get any sort of playable quality.

That would be my question. I also wonder what the point of doing such a project would be? educational purposes? Most of the major games come out on pc, and it looks like the ps4 doesnt have the best exclusives anyways.
The point is both for experience, fun, and for future use whenever the PS4 is no longer in use and soon to be archived.

EDIT: Processing power or ability to render in top quality isn't the point (yet). We get new hardware all of the time that is more powerful and efficient.
Last edited on
Script Coder wrote:
Wasn't there a thread a couple of days ago about how bad sourceforge was?

If I remember right, it was a discussion about how SF's popularity is decreasing and everyone is going to GitHub.
It was more about how SF is pushing what some consider malware and adware out with downloads.
Oh okay, though, I am still right on the popularity/github part as SF pushing that will decrease popularity and push them to GH.
Or just to other repositories in general. bitbucket and GC increased in popularity a bit recently as well.
Last edited on
You're back BHXSpecter. Wasn't expecting that one.
Pages: 123