It's the little things...

So I've been doing some dev work on a Linux server lately. I have no admin access to this, and the admin refuses to install any editor so I've been stuck doing everything in vi. It's not terrible, but I really like my syntax highlighting and other things. So I did some looking around and found out I can use gedit on my machine to open and write to (S)FTP servers. So holy crap, I just added this servers SFTP info to my computer and now I can do all my work from my machine, using whatever tools I feel like and all changes get saved to the server.

It's probably nothing serious and I'm sure tons of people already knew about this, but damnit I just found out and it's exciting.
With vi, can't you just do :set syntax on or something similar? I imagine you had more issues than just that, though, heh.
it's hard to imagine Linux where vi cannot do syntax highlighting. Did you try :syn on?
Vi, at least this version, does not support syntax highlighting. From what I gathered online, it's a vim only feature.
Right, I am implying that Linux distributions typically use vim rather than elvis
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.