how hackers become hacker?

Pages: 12
i was wondering that how much hackers learn before they become what they are known for. i also wish to become like one but i am lost from where to start.....

i've learnt basics of c++ but still don't know nothing.
how many of you feel like this???
All your questions answered: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
closed account (z05DSL3A)
aalok wrote:
i also wish to become like one but i am lost from where to start.....
out of interest, what do you think one is?
If your writing is semi-literate, ungrammatical, and riddled with misspellings, many hackers (including myself) will tend to ignore you.

Lol! I remember when this used to be true. These days you need to know more then just English though, you need to learn IRC jargon as well. You want to know how well your current knowledge stacks up to what will be required? Here is a preview: http://pastebin.com/trends

The term "Hacker" is about as descriptive as the term "Engineer". Ask a Mechanical Engineer about a problem related to Chemical Engineering and they might look at you like you're growing a third head, then again they might know exactly the answer you are looking for. My point is that neither one is a term that accurately describes a specific persons knowledge base.

IMO ignore that article, it gets thrown around a lot because it generalizes enough to be applicable in most situations and there is enough there to keep a person busy for a few years. If you want to be a hacker here is what you do:

- Take something apart to see how it works. Then put it back together and make sure it still works.

- Break it, then try to fix it so that it works the same way again. If it's too important to break then you shouldn't be taking it apart in the first place should you?

- Break it again then put it back together so that it does something else.

These three steps are as applicable to radios and RC cars as they are to Operating Systems. The only subject they don't apply to in fact is chemistry because of that whole laws of physics thing.

EDIT: Also, answer Grey Wolf's question please.
Last edited on
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Hacker , eh I love hacking to and ill pm you if you like to get you started and these are just tools ill pm u about, if u wanna become better u gotta learn programming languages and not rush. Ill pm you with some details that got me started of.
@ CaptainBlastXD: Where did you get your Crystal Ball from? I only ask because mine never seems to work right, I can stare at it all day and concentrate with all of my might but it will never tell me SPECIFICALLY WHAT THE HECK THE OP IS ASKING ABOUT. After all you must be using one since, as we have already discussed here, the term "Hacking" is too ambiguous of a concept to be explained as one subject.

Also, things like Nmap, Armitage, Ollydbg, SysInternals and IDA Pro aren't exactly super secrets of the interwebs so you can post the links here for everyone to enjoy and\or give their feedback about.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I see so many people now days saying they want to a become a hacker so that they can break into others computers, crack Facebook accounts, gain fame and reputation, make money, ect. I am not saying you are one of them, but if that is your reason I will be blunt you most likely won't make it.

The thing is that none of those things have anything to do with being a hacker. Anyone can do those things you don't need to be a hacker to do them. It is not hard to use a program or copy a few commands and enter them now days 8 year olds can it that.

Most people think being a hacker is about just knowing programming and hardware and how computers work. But in reality being a hacker is more of a lifestyle (For lack of a better word) then a skill.

Being a hacker is about having that natural curiosity to learn how things work and how you can make them better. It about the love of solving problems and pushing the limits. As long as you have these you will have no problem becoming a hacker.
Last edited on
I would go so far as to say that the term "hacker" has been so misused, that anyone who says they want to become a "hacker" has already failed.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Well first you need an axe. A nice, heavy one with a good center of gravity. Once you find an axe, proceed to find the object you want to hack. Take your axe, and start to hack it until it is in pieces.

Sources: Me, I'm a pro hacker, been hacking all my life.
Lumpkin + 1
:O)
Nowadays, even a cat can hack a computer, provided that you shove one down its throat first (you weirdo).
xismn wrote:
I would go so far as to say that the term "hacker" has been so misused, that anyone who says they want to become a "hacker" has already failed.

Depends on how antiquated you are. I see the argument time and time again saying it is 'cracking' and that the media has wrongly called it 'hacking'. I met a guy when I was applying to try and become a web admin for a book publishing company here in town that was the 'cracker' for the company. When I asked what he did, he replied with "I'm the company's hacker." He looked like he was pushing 50+ when I met him. Side note, I never did get the job (they wanted ASP.NET experience and Windows servers, and I prefer PHP and Linux servers).
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Computergeek01
i just wanna pm and dont wanna get in trouble and plus i think a private convo is better as you can send more info to the person and on the forums you kinda have to help everyone out. if u get me. if u dont its fine i dont get myself either :D

Yes there are loads of types of hacks so you kinda need to specify
Last edited on
@ CaptainBlastXD: I sort of get where you are coming from, but I don't see how you would get into trouble. It's not like you're attacking anyone or telling him to take down the government; you're sharing information about vulnerability testing which is a highly specialized and very well paying field to get into. It is also one that benefits from learning early (well before it's offered as a class in any institution) since the skills it requires develop faster when you are younger and there is SO MUCH more to learn then you can reasonably fit into a six year degree.

The crystal ball comment wasn't really directed at you, I was trying to get the OP's attention since he STILL hasn't commented on a thread that he started. If it helps to explain how my mind works, you were Bud Abbott in that exchange.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
@fred: great post. you should write some more in depth tutorials

@everyone who said it was ambiguous: i thought hacking (in an engineer sense) was testing the limits of a computer. is this a misconception of hacking?
Well it is more about finding security holes to help companies make their network and databases more secure. Then there are those who use those skills to break into said security holes to steal data for a personal gain of some sort.

At least that is my understanding of it.
In the normal colloquial use in my environment, hackers are the programmers whose code works beautifully despite being crude, brittle, unmaintainable, poorly testable, and otherwise unwelcome in quality software. Hacks get thrown out at code reviews except for rare circumstances, often involving extreme time pressures (like being woken up by the phone at 4 in the morning with one hour SLA).
And to be able to pull them off, you need experience, expertise, and unorthodox thinking.

Just another little facet for this massively ambiguous word.

(Having been raised on the usage seen in other environments, from demoscene to 2600 and defcon, I was actually caught by surprise when my first boss warned me that he doesn't want to see any hacks)
closed account (N36fSL3A)
@fred: great post. you should write some more in depth tutorials
Hm, I've been getting that a lot. I should get around to doing it later.

I guess beginners SHOULD be able to access info given by pros.
Kids want to be called "hacker" because it sounds cool. "I am haxxor". Similar with words like "geek" or "nerd".

From what i experienced there is simple rule:
If someone is calling himself hacker/geek/nerd/etc - he isn't one.
(i mean: c'mon! WTF is with these hipster c-cup girls with fake glasses and t-shirt with "biggest geek ever :*" stuff written on it? [ http://www.xojane.com/files/fakegeek.jpeg ])

For me hacking is modifying. And to modify you need to know how does the modified thing works.
Computer hacking require very wide knowledge how things work, no matter if it is network/web hacking or application cracking.
To exploit something you need to know it. Memory dumb is your friend and wireshark is your wife.

What is hacking to you? Do you want to dig in apps, h/w network, s/w network?

edit# my rage took me there and i forgot to answer your question:
When you dig deep enough you will get enlighten. For example: if you will know how program work, how it is viewed by OS, where stack is keept, how it is scheduled, how exe/axf/elf/hex/.etc. files are build inside, how virtual memory work, how to use sw/hw breakpoints, how to boot system, what kernel is? implement it,... and MORE. When you ask question to yourself "how does it work", find the answer and then, at some point : you will see what you need to do to hack something. Trail and error and constant learning.
Last edited on
Lumpkin wrote:
I guess beginners SHOULD be able to access info given by pros.

Beginners do have access to info given by pros. This site, gamedev.net, flipcode.com, ebooks by authors that take their time to write them, etc. I would not consider anyone with less than 5 years experience a pro in any language though.
tath wrote:
If someone is calling himself hacker/geek/nerd/etc - he isn't one.

That rule makes no sense because that means anyone that calls themselves a video game nerd and can tell you pointless trivia from every game ever made isn't one. The people on this site that call themselves programmer geeks and have been programming for years aren't.
Pages: 12