MC

Pages: 123
closed account (N36fSL3A)
He was saying there are no such things as cracked servers, which is in fact true.
Hey, it might be kind of cool to host a programming contest with the reward being a Minecraft account.
Who's gonna pay for it though? I mean, if I had a stable source of income I wouldn't mind paying for the whole thing...
closed account (oGwfSL3A)
Hey, it might be kind of cool to host a programming contest with the reward being a Minecraft account.

This is a good idea, although I would lose.
In the interest of sparking a competition that might help people learn more about programming I'll gladly pay for it. All we need is a competition idea and some judges.

Heck it doesn't even have to be minecraft, we should just have a competition and I'll gift the winner any 30$ game of their choice. If other people are willing to pay as well we could maybe even have 2nd and 3rd place prizes.
Last edited on
That'd be cool, like entry fee is $2 and top 3 get a split of the pot, and you'd just need someone to come up with the idea and judge it (not allowed to enter).
I'd love to try this

EDIT: (Not boasting) I'm getting a pi for Christmas and was looking for a project to try on it... Maybe I could have a go at setting up a competition server XD
Last edited on
The problem with that is who would hold fthe money until the end of the contest? It'd be to easy to steal it all and run. Also that might make some people unable to enter if they don't have any form of internet money, not to mention what currency would the 2 be in? 2 american is a lot more than some other currencies out there, It'd be better if it was more open to people, but maybe with an entry cap so that the judges don't have to go through 2000 peoples code xD
Last edited on
Well yeah I'm sure that everyone knows there's lots of technicalities to think about but it's still a good idea, and besides I've wanted to try html for a while and never had a good reason to.

As for 2USD being a lot, I recommended this amount because I thought it would be quite affordable, I live in the UK so naturally I prefer GBP but USD are used globally for online transactions, and have a moderately cheap exchange rate
Or we could use the Steam's community currency.
A TF2 key is (constantly) about 1.75€ (a bit more than 2$).
In the holidays it's 1.50€ tho (I think it's 2$), so, the faster you buy it, the less you pay.
It's widely used to buy games from traders at very low prices (Bought HL2 and EP1 for 1 key each = 1.75€ each, outside sale times).
I'm quite trusted (in my little) so I can hold the money in the meantime.
Everybody could give a key, and the winner takes them all.
You don't need to have TF2 premium, just MAKE SURE TO BUY THEM FROM THE COMMUNITY MARKET (If you buy it from the official store it won't be tradable for a week for security reasons).

This obviously also allows for a different currency to be used, and will solve that problem.
But you need to have a Steam account and to put some money on it (Minimum 5€).
You can put money via PayPal or credit cards, or you can get a Steam Wallet Card from Gamestop.
I can also help the winner get some games with those keys.
Sadly for you, you will have hard times selling keys for real life money, unless somebody buys it and pays you via Paypal (not THAT safe tho).
But buying Steam games is easy and safe.

To be fair for the competition, I won't be partecipating.

If you like the idea, http://steamcommunity.com/id/essgeeeich/ .
How can you tell I won't run away with the money?
1. It isn't real life money, but a virtual currency. You can't buy a sandvich.
2. Trading Ban is possible (And has been done many times for scammers).
3. I put my face on it... Er, accounts.

Okay, the only reference I can find to "TF2 key" is from the game Team Fortress to unlock things within Team Fortress, so how is this supposed to be used as currency?

Secondly just using the real money idea lets the winners go and use it on absolutely anything... Might not even be a game. Whereas a community currency doesn't have that benefit.

Also if you were to ask people to "pay for there work rated" in a manor of speaking, they'd probably want to know that you've got professional servers set up that they can upload to at any time they want, and can easily get any information about the progress of the competition, etc.
A lot of people don't like steam's forced DRM, myself included, which is why I offered to give them a 30$ game of their choice. Besides a forced buy-in ruins a lot of the fun and appeal for people, I just wanted to have a nice open free competition.
Okay, well I can see how that'd be far easier than anything else XD
And very generous too might I add
Bitcoins should solve everything.
closed account (NUj6URfi)
Bitcoins can't be used every though. I think the prize should be like the code to a egiftcard to like best buy, gamestop, steam, gog, ios, android or something. Also, if the place doesn't have egiftcards, someone should go out, buy the giftcard and give out the pin and id to the winner.
Ok. That sounds nice.
Yep, TF2 keys = Keys to unlock things within Team Fortress 2 (Literally: Mann Co. Supply Crate Key, here on the market:
http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Mann%20Co.%20Supply%20Crate%20Key
)
The TF2 keys are kinda like a bitcoin, but their price is fixed as stated above, where bitcoin's price lately varied a lot.
I don't see many people hating Steam's DRM, because you can have the same game on different PC's, even different accounts now thanks to Family Sharing.
Instead, me and ALL my friends do have a Steam account with loads of games on it.
[Mostly bought with TF2 keys, since I showed them (some also started to play TF2 to get some items to trade with keys - Once I dropped an item worth an entire key, and a friend uncrated a 14-keys item three days ago :D) ]
Some games also have cross-play for Linux and Mac, allowing you to play them without having to buy them twice.
And Steam also allows you to play games in offline mode.
Their DRM is the least invasive one.

Bitcoins can be exchanged for money easily tho (unless it's a scam, again, be careful with these kind of things, there's no automated service yet).
Gift cards also look like a good idea, but I won't be managing that :D
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I would suggest instead of figuring out who is going to hold your money and what type of currency it will be in and stuff like that.

You guys should first decide on what the contest will be, then find good knowledgeable judges for that subject. That should be the first thing you should do instead of worrying about the prize portion of it.

Just my opinion though and wish you guys the best of luck with your contest.
closed account (NUj6URfi)
I just don't like TF2 keys because I don't play TF2 because I am under 13 legally.

I think Zereo is correct though.
I like the competition idea! Ummm... Are you guys actually going to host a competition?
A good idea for the competition instead not to make anything you want and have rounds of programming challenges and eliminate those who cannot solve it in a given time limit.
Pages: 123