PC vs MAC

Pages: 12
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
The only way the clashed was with non-standard extensions in a given API for say DirectX and OpenGL. For instance, Cg is developed by Nvidia and requires support by the video card. It used to not work on AMD hardware at all but now works to some extent and Cg now has ways to avoid the need for hardware-specific extensions.

In most cases, an AMD CPU is used as a generic x86_64 processor. AMD Fusion refers to the mixture of CPU and GPU (or formally called APU) on the same chip which hopefully removed some hardware barriers (which doesn't in reality). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Accelerated_Processing_Unit
Their APUs weren't launched until after they introduced fusion. But I'm really out of date with AMD. Last few I've built were intel (and weren't even for me. Still rockin a phenom II x4 from when they were new)
computerquip wrote:
Cg is developed by Nvidia and requires support by the video card

The Cg compiler can generate HLSL and GLSL code though, so it works as long as one of them is supported.

AMD Fusion refers to the mixture of CPU and GPU (or formally called APU) on the same chip which hopefully removed some hardware barriers (which doesn't in reality)

I'm currently using an APU, the AMD E-450 because the PSU broke in my desktop so I'm using a notebook until I have enough money for a new PSU. It's more powerful than you might think, though. It can play current-gen games up to about 2010.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I'm not saying its not more efficient. It's more energy effecient, cheaper, and generates much (much) less heat. I'll probably be using either an Intel chip or AMD APU for my next play PC which I'll use for a SteamBox.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12