Cplusplus.com Wishlist

Pages: 12
In my Firefox, the middle mouse button opens the link in a new tab.

This is how it should remain, in my opinion, because if this was implemented then how could you open the link in the same window if you wanted to?
Catfish666 wrote:
In my Firefox, the middle mouse button opens the link in a new tab.

That is so cool, thanks.
Middle-clicking most things (the home button, the back and forwards buttons, and the refresh button) opens them in a new tab. And middle-clicking an open tab closes it.

I think that generally, Middle-click == Ctrl+Left-click.
Last edited on
While I do think that displaying who reported who would be far from a good idea (!) I have wondered from time to time if the reason should be displayed. There have been occasions when it has been pretty unclear why someone was reported!

Maybe a selection of stock reasons could be given? Plus "other" and an edit box.

Andy

PS My main wish (which I've seen others mention in the past) is for the cplusplus.com tet editor to allow me to accidentally navigate away from the page and back without losing what I've just typed in. Not sure how easy/hard this would be do?

And have wondered about:
- number of views for a thread (or even post?)
- improved searching (e.g. search for threads rather than posts)
- ability to override color of boxes (e.g. quotes from two different people), prob. best from a fixed set of colors rather than RGB.
- maybe limited support for Wiki creole (e.g. tables)
- and maybe even limited support for DOT (so can sketch out designs)
Last edited on
ne555 wrote:
I want a `select all' for the text inside the code tags.

In Firefox (Aurora 28.0a2) you can select a code box with ctrl + left-click then right-click->copy (or ctrl+c).

Doesn't work in Chromium which is the only other browser that I have tried.
Just tried Ctrl+click in IE 8, and as far as I can tell, if you do that inside a code box, it looks like it selects all of the code below the spot where you clicked.

So if you Ctrl+click the first line of the code, it'll select all of it.

I'd like some kind of "Advanced Search" feature that lets me pick which part of the site I want to search through.
I don't want to search for something that's in the reference pages and have a bunch of forum posts popping up at me in the search results. (Now, granted, the existing auto-redirect thing covers most of my use cases, but I still, as far as I can tell, search for something that I know is in the Articles section and limit my search to just that section.)

An extra (minor) feature that'd be nice (but not super important to me) is if the OP's posts are somehow colored differently to set them off from everyone else's posts.
An extra (minor) feature that'd be nice (but not super important to me) is if the OP's posts are somehow colored differently to set them off from everyone else's posts.

I am for this. My color suggestions: light yellow, or light blue.
And also, if it's since been disabled, reported posts should be red (as they used to be).

I want a `select all' for the text inside the code tags.

I'd suggest two new buttons instead:
1) download as file
2) copy to clipboard

Point 1) may be clumsy because, what to name the file by default?

However point 2) makes a lot of sense: there's not much else to do after selecting than copying to clipboard, is there?
> there's not much else to do after selecting than copying to clipboard
I prefer to use the primary selection.
I prefer to have several selections, so the clipboard is not set through `select' -> `copy'

But that's a tangent, as long as the process to obtain the snip becomes easier I wouldn't complain

> Advanced Search" feature that lets me pick which part of the site I want to search
¿isn't that how it is working now?
Last edited on
My main wish (which I've seen others mention in the past) is for the cplusplus.com tet editor to allow me to accidentally navigate away from the page and back without losing what I've just typed in. Not sure how easy/hard this would be do?

This can and should be done on the client side.

Here's a chrome extension that will do the trick:

manifest.json
{
  "manifest_version": 2,
  "name": "PFT for CPP :D",
  "description": "Persistent Form Text for www.cplusplus.com",
  "version": "1.0", 
  "content_scripts": [{
    "matches": ["http://www.cplusplus.com/*"],
    "js": ["le_main_script.js"]
  }]
}

le_main_script.js
var url = document.URL.split('/');

var isPM = url[3] == 'user' && url[4].indexOf('pm.cgi') == 0;
var isNewThread = url[3] == 'forum' && url[4].indexOf('thread.cgi') == 0;

var messageId = isPM ? 'pm' : isNewThread ? 'thread' : url[3] + '-' + url[4] + '-' + url[5];

var textArea = null;

setInterval(function () {

var localTextArea = document.getElementsByTagName('textarea')[0];

if (localTextArea != null && textArea == null) {

textArea = localTextArea;
        textArea.setAttribute('id', 'leTextArea');

var callbackString = textArea.getAttribute('onkeyup');

callbackString = "(function(){" + callbackString + "; (function(){ \
            var text = document.getElementById('leTextArea').value; \
            localStorage.setItem('" + messageId + "', text); \
        })();})()";

textArea.setAttribute('onkeyup', callbackString);

var text = localStorage.getItem(messageId);

if (text != '' && textArea.value == '') {

textArea.value = text;
        }

} else if (localTextArea == null && textArea != null) {

textArea = null;
    }

}, 250);

EDIT: Fixed post edits.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Sometimes will allow me to recover everything if I hit back.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
Point 1) may be clumsy because, what to name the file by default?

whatever it is uploaded yet

also, the ability to have multiple quotes inside of each other.
@master roshi: how do i make that into a chrome extension? its been a while
I don't have chrome, going off of memory:

Save those two files in a directory. Open chrome and go to the extension page. I'm not sure how you get there, but it's the page that lets you see all of the extensions you have installed and activate/deactivate. There is a button that says something like "load unpacked extension". This should create an open file dialog, where you will open the folder you saved the files in.

I think thats it. If you were already typing things into a text area, you would have to refresh the page. As a side, I once spent 4 hours "fixing a bug" because I didn't refresh a page...
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
thanks lowest. that sounds right
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12