OS

I'm making an OS, the first one is command-line based and maybe we will make a better one with a Graphical User Interface. There is no money guarantee for this yet, as it is unfinished and we will be working out of our pockets.

Programmers that know the Assembly language and/or an intermediate C++ programmers welcome.

Here is the Repository link for the project, I have already started.
https://github.com/Code-Apprentice/OS

P.S. For those who know a little of both can learn as you go for the first OS. THe first one is not too serious but if it turns out quite well, we will try to distribute free first then increase price if people like it.

Also, you don't have to be an expert on OS development, what I mentioned is good enough already
Last edited on
PM me to apply
Or you can post
What is your OS supposed to do? I mean what environment do you think of?

GUI is not OS. It could be part of it. Normally it makes no sense to develop an OS from scratch. Things like memory/thread/hardware management are way too tedious and already existing for free: Linux.

If you want to create an OS that people like you need to introduce some innovative and easy to use features other OS doesn't have. While this is hard enough it is another reason why you shouldn't waste time on basic requirements that already exists
I said WITH a GUI. I know that, I'm not stupid. Right now it's supposed to run user-created programs that would be run from the console. I've only finished writing the kernel, boot file and the linker. I've made an executable but now I need a bootloader, I've thought about using GRUB. But I think making my own is better.

coder777, do you want to join?
Last edited on
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
@coder: not neccesarily. im writing an os from scratch because i want to get into osdev (as a hobby. i would like to hack backtrack. used it for the first time today and i love it).

@apprentice: i would use grub. its so much better than anything you could write right now (no offense. ive tried writing one... it is not easy. it will just take away from your os.) if you want to use it i can give you a boot file that you need for it. when you have a good handle on your os then i would turn your attention to a bootloader
Code Apperentice wrote:
I said WITH a GUI. I know that, I'm not stupid.
In case of windows you can say that the gui is the os. It's a matter of design when the gui sets in.

Code Apperentice wrote:
coder777, do you want to join?
as job, certainly not. as a hobby maybe.

At this point you Code Apperentice and DTSCode should really combine your effort.

I'm currently developing a gui in C++. This would make it necessary to have the basic C++ library in your system (that would mean a major step).

I'd say the better forum would be the lounge...
DTSCode I want the boot file please
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
just download the source code for grub... and its a bootloader not boot files
if you want to use it i can give you a boot file that you need for it. when you have a good handle on your os then i would turn your attention to a bootloader - DTSCode
@ Code Apprentice: stick to using GRUB... and stick to writing a Multiboot-compliant kernel.
(That is, if you want to get anything done, instead of experimenting forever.)

Looking at your source code on GitHub, you still have a long road ahead of you. I don't see where you set up the descriptor tables or the stack. Of course GRUB sets them up for you, but only so that you can boot. After you boot, you must take control and set them up yourself.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the default text "resolution" for VGA was 80x25 and not 80x24.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.