Who here is interesting in developing a PS4 emulator?

I have found a PS4 emulator project:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/playstation4emulatorx8664pc/

Their email address: playstation4emulator@aol.com

Almost nothing has been added to it thus far, but the 100+ downloads tells me people want to see something like this exist at some point.

I came here to genuinely ask if anyone:

1)knew about this,

2)has contributed anything to do (or considered doing so),

3)or who doesn't like the project.

I in no way created the project, but I was advised to post this here by someone who will not be identified(but is backing the whole project).

There is a reason nothing has been added to the project, but it can't be made public yet. As of now, I am gathering developers. What do you think?

Are you in for writing a PS4 emulator?
Is this even possible? Last I checked even PS2 and xbox emulators are still extremely buggy and unfinished.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
There was a topic about this earlier.

The fact that this project has poor code and one header isn't even functional makes me question the legitimacy of this project.
Last edited on
Is this even possible? Last I checked even PS2 and xbox emulators are still extremely buggy and unfinished.

The open-source PS2 emulator, PCSX2, has been in active development for more than a decade. The project has been working since years back, but now all games, to some degree, can work with minor tweaks. And it has been updated over the years to clear bugs, give better performance, and work on giving you the best emulation possible. The reason it took so long to get to the state it's in now is because nobody really put die hard effort in to it. It's been on and off for the years, nobody was paid for it (e.g. voluntary; timeless efforts) As for the Xbox, nobody seems to want to bother with that anymore ... now an Xbox One is on the table being discussed.

The fact that this project has poor code and one header isn't even functional makes me question the legitimacy of this project.

Did you check out my whole post(no offence)? There has been extensive reverse engineering done thus far on the system. I've even manageded to figure out parts of the memory map, and there's some few people now who are trying to crack the firmware. There hasn't been any code added because nobody, not even the project manager, wants to post any code until an official memory map is released. There is code, however, but none of it has been submitted or committed(except for the dummy files, which are just there so the project isn't empty). Once more info about the system's gritty details get released, watch the code start flying in.
Last edited on
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/118071/ Look at this. It's the exact same link.

This seems like a way to just get programmers to help. If the starter wanted programmers, just ask.
I am very interested. For 10 seconds I even thought about contributing, then realized this is probably way out of my league and it requires more time that I would be able to spare anyway.
Of course it's the same link, because it's for the same project. That user was probably asked by developer to spread the word, or wanted to do it themself.

In my case it's strictly professional ... that means I'd expect serious developers who want to do nothing more than bring a real PS4 emulator to the free market. PCSX2 could have been at the stage it's in now five years ago if people stuck to it. Perseverance is key to getting something done - with a handful of serious developers who, ideally, would be coding and reverse engineering, this will definitely be in beta within years, and could probably run one or so commercial games before you know it. Bear in mind that this will be targeted only to high-end computers with great specs, however.

The project manager also told me (via email) that he prefers no DirectX graphics support(only OpenGL 4.4 and such).

His Email(for reference): playstation4emulator@aol.com
Last edited on
I'm just saying it's sorta weird, that's all.
I can see where you're coming from ... but the project already has people downloading it, and it hasn't even had anything done with it yet. People want a Playstation 4 emulator, so it's no surprise that some randoms are passing the word around. I, on the other hand, really can code, have written code for emulators before (mostly ports for older consoles), and I'm trying to work with developers here at the best possible circumstances.
I'm a little confused about this thing that was said in the other thread
if ps4 is using x86/x64 arch then why writing emulator? It would more fit to modify the ps4 os and make it run on typical PC, but instead of using build in modules, like gpu, use dedicated one.
This sounds like a reasonable argument. Can the OP answer or should I email the project author?
That user in the other thread had a somewhat good point, but the purpose, I believe, is to make a full-fledged emulator to run in user mode. Modifying the PS4 OS is not a priority; emulating the entire system is the priority, and that's why I said that only people with high-end computers will have any chance of getting good emulation with such a beast.

Plus, it can't run just be "modified" overnight to work on a "typical PC"(whatever that even means). If anything, as the developer Tweeted, modifying an existing x86 emulator would suffice much better.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.