Who here acctually buys movies, music tv shows, e.t.c.

Pages: 1... 345678
Yeah yeah I keep hearing that. I went and watched the first episode of season 1 on Netflix a few weeks back. Didn't see the fascination. Friend of mine who is really into suggested I skip ahead to season 4(?) and watch that.

I want to give it another chance, because damnit Breaking Bad has ruined me and I can't watch TV anymore.
izrex wrote:
So as a christian you believe it's morally right to deny a starving person that's begging you to give them food ? You think it's morally wrong for a starving person to steal food even as others watch them starve to death and do nothing about it ? You clearly see this world as black and white with no gray.

There is no reason for them to steal or starve. Community kitchens are set up in almost every city in the US to get hot meals to those who are homeless or can't afford food. Red Cross and other organizations sent billions of dollars in food to countries where hunger and poverty are inclined. We have a community kitchen and homeless shelter. Though, some people that are homeless and starving steal just so they go to jail because then they get a roof over their heads and three meals a day at tax payers expense.

To me it is black and white, grey only comes into the picture when you let your feeling influence your interpretation of things. For example, my older sister has been caught numerous times stealing and been let off each time with a slap on the hand and being banned from the store. I think she should have been in jail by now for repeat offences. My little sister had run in with the law due to drugs, but because she was under 18 she too got off with a slap on the wrist and again I think she should have been arrested and put in rehab or some sort of consequences, but because the detective that was put on the case let his feelings for his children influence his actions on the case (he had two daughter close to my sister's age) he went to bat and got her out of trouble repeatedly.

Grey? A kid punched a man, the man fell and hit his head, somehow the injury killed the man. The judge gave the kid 10 years detention. Same judge a few years later had a rich kid who was drinking and driving who hit and killed three people and paralyzed a fourth and got off with a slap on the wrist. They said it was because he didn't know better because he was a rich spoiled kid. I'll live in my black and white world, you can keep your grey.

Garion wrote:
A better question might be who actually watches the shit they put on TV and films these days.


My father-in-law watches CNN, Duck Dynasty, Finding Bigfoot, Ghost Hunters, Ghost Adventures, and Dead Files. My wife watches American Idol, Dr. Phil, and every romantic comedy movie she can find on tv. I watch Cplusplus.com, GD.Net, Cprogramming.com, and email. I don't care much for TV anymore, I mostly watch Power Rangers on Netflix lately and that is about it.
@mats

We'll then the rich guy would be paying for whatever he stole. Then that wouldn't be a crime, now would it?
ResidentBiscuit wrote:
Yeah yeah I keep hearing that. I went and watched the first episode of season 1 on Netflix a few weeks back. Didn't see the fascination. Friend of mine who is really into suggested I skip ahead to season 4(?) and watch that.


You might have to grow into it. The series doesn't really start by grabbing you and keeping you glued to it... instead it builds up and introduces you to the characters and settings.

If you want to give it another chance... watch the two I mentioned earlier:

"Blink" (season 3)
"Midnight" (season 4)

Those are great intro episodes because they not only are amazing eps, but they are "one-offs" and don't require much prior knowledge about the show... and also don't contain spoilers if you watch them out of order.

If you can't get into either one of them, then Dr. Who isn't for you. But if you can... give the show a rewatch from the start.

As good as those eps are... they aren't even the best in the series.
Last edited on
I feel as though the writing really picks up in season 5.
BHX Specter wrote:
We have a community kitchen and homeless shelter. Though, some people that are homeless and starving steal just so they go to jail because then they get a roof over their heads and three meals a day at tax payers expense.
That is a ridiculous comment. Have you ever talked to a homeless person? Most won't go to the shelters because they are very dangerous places to be, jail is no different.
"Blink" (season 3)

I found that a bit cheesy.. what hooked me was Silence in the Library
Yeah Silence in the Library is an amazing one. But.... <River Song>"spoilers"</River Song>.

I wouldn't say it's an intro episode.

EDIT:

The Satan Pit was another amazing one.... but again... I'd recommend getting there through the course of the show, rather than starting with it.



OOOoooo.... but the "Waters on Mars" special.... now that was a good one.
Last edited on
I really hated the waters of mars episode, it's actually the reason I dislike the tenth doctor.

Interesting subject change, by the way.
Last edited on
I really hated the waters of mars episode, it's actually the reason I dislike the tenth doctor.


=o

How could you hate it!? It was amazing!

When he had to walk away with all of them on the speaker... knowing there was nothing he could do. Heartbreaking!
@Disch it was what happened after that point, where he saved her and delivered that horrifying speech about himself and what he could do. I don't like the dark side of the doctor.
Last edited on
I literally JUST got done watching that episode. I missed a lot as it's been airing and my roommate is just getting into it.
@Disch it was what happened after that point, where he saved her and delivered that horrifying speech about himself and what he could do. I don't like the dark side of the doctor.


Yeah.. it was a horrifying speech. And you weren't supposed to like him. What he was doing was clearly wrong. Even she knew it. That's why it was so crazy!
The problem is that the tenth doctor is like that in many episodes, and I always point to the waters of mars when people ask why I don't like him. Do recall from "Turn Left" that he died because nobody was there to stop him.
The second doctor displayed in the newer series (can't remember the number) really sucks. The first one in the newer series was like 10 times better.
The last doctor before the reboot was the 8th. After the reboot we got the 9th, 10th, 11th, 8.5th, and 12th.
naraku9333 wrote:
That is a ridiculous comment. Have you ever talked to a homeless person? Most won't go to the shelters because they are very dangerous places to be, jail is no different.

To me it is more ridiculous to do a blanket comparison of all shelters to jail because that just isn't true (sure some are bad, but not all). You say my comment is ridiculous, but every few years you see articles in magazines and newspapers that say just what I said. It usually escalates around Christmas and New Years. Then by the end they urge readers to donate money, food, and clothes to homeless shelters.
Last edited on
Lumpkin: You are referring to David Tennant (the 10th Doctor)

I think you guys are crazy. IMO he was by far the best actor of the 3 newer ones (Peter Capaldi not included, as I haven't seen him yet).


Christopher Eccleston (the 9th) did a really good job as well. He nailed the light-hearted and quirkiness of the Doctor, but also had a hint of surviver's guilt (which I think he portrayed better than the other two). Plus he did a really good job of shifting the mood to serious when needed.

Though he never really seemed to get angry. The only time he came close was in "Father's Day", where he was like "I did it again, I chose another stupid ape" or something like that... but he seemed more annoyed at Rose than angry.

Overall, he was a great portrayal of the lovable Doctor. He set the tone very well.


David Tennant (the 10th) did everything. He was quirky, funny, and lovable like the 9th, but he had more layers. As previously mentioned, he had the dark side to him where he stepped just a little too far, as seen in "Waters on Mars" and "The Runaway Bride" specials.

But what really sells me on him is his ability to sell anger and tension. In the first ep of season 2 (which I forget the name of... the one with the cat doctors in New New York).... you could just see the bottled rage in him when he confronted the nurses about Rose:

"I'm being very, very calm. And the only reason I'm being so calm is because there's hope that whatever you've done to Rose is reversible".


And again... I have to point to "Midnight". Watch that episode again and try to imagine Matt Smith or Christopher Eccleston in his place. Neither one of them could have pulled it off the way he did. I was literally cringing at what was happening in that ep.

And he doesn't stop there. The emotional depth in some of those episodes had me frequently bordering on tears (and sometimes pushed be over). Like at the end of "Family of Blood" where he had to decide whether to stay John Smith or go back to being the Doctor ("Why can't I have this life? Isn't it a good life?").

And the Season 2 Finale of course. If you didn't cry on that one, you are inhuman.

And the episode with the French girl in the fireplace and the clockwork men (I forget the name of that ep).

The list goes on and on.



Matt Smith (the 11th) I think did the absolute best at personifying the quirky Doctor. Unfortunately, he did little outside of that. Most of the time I was watching him, it felt like he was so much more bumbling than the other two. Like with the other two you really felt like they knew what they were doing... but with Matt Smith... it was more like he was making it up as he went. Add that to him being constantly upstaged/outsmarted by "<spoilers>"...

Let's just say he was my least favorite of the 3. Again... not that he did a bad job... it's just that the other two did such a better job.
@Disch: I like the actor and the acting, I hate the character.
Fair enough.
Pages: 1... 345678