Thoughts on a game idea??

This story takes place in generation XI. Backstory is overly complicated. It involves a demon girl though! Ask if you are interested in hearing it!

You are from (HomeTerritory); <(Getting c++ themed all up in here!), You left home to trade with the Elven. It's a long and dangerous journey, so you bring enough supplies. Sure enough, you are in their territory, but you have nothing. No money or goods. You have spoken with the others and they claim that the profits were correct and that the kings have agreed to destroy the cursed land. The land that you have taken to get to the Elven territory of course! Appearently, you have crossed, were attacked by demons and somehow ended up here, lying passed out for a week or two in a ditch. You have a significant other at home, you can't stay! Looks like you have to go back. It will be dangerous crossing that route again but it appears you have no choice. For the love of him/her, go back. For the love of good, get rid of Charlotte <(Evilgirlsname); If it is even possible.

Techical details:
This game is to be written taking up equal to, or less than 26 variables. This should create a small 16 bit game for Pen&Paper, MS-DOS, Windows, TI-83, TI-83+ and TI-84. It will be written in P&P first, TI-BASIC second and C++ third.

Please, be extremely critical on this game. I will need it. This is a side project created because the first one is PC only and it's to big to run on a ti-calc. All ideas actually stem from the original, this is a prequel. For those who might know, it was the zombie one. Zombies have been removed due to overcomplication. The map was already pre-made because of the first game.

I forgot! The profits claim Charlotte will return and take over a certain set of land. The kings have spoken that the previous empire has collapsed. Everyone from there is dead. There is a raid planned where the military from many territories have gathered to raid the newly captured territory. It is advised that anyone passing through the town leave quickly without taking anything. Doing so may be lethal!
Last edited on
"Gameplay is everything."

When you suggest a game idea, all that matters is the gameplay. You haven't mentioned anything about gameplay here, so how can we evaluate the game? This is just a basic outline of a story...
I forgot to add that, sorry. I meant to. Anyways there are a bunch of territories that the player must pass. There are shops with various items with varying stats. This is like, old 8-BIT RPG style. I'm still writing some of it and I do not have the source mechanics with me at the moment but I will describe them when I get my hands on the source. There are 5 territories (If I can remember correctly) each one is unique. you can buy and sell. You can only have one type of each item though due to the variable limit. There is a mini game in each territory so that if the player falls behind, he may catch up and all hope is not lost. Not a high payout, but it exists. Very basic algorithms so many are guessable. Sell is (price / 4) + currency -> currency. Basically, the highlight of the game is the traveling, mini games and the epic ending (no spoilers!). If you like, because it's free I can give you the game when it's done just saying. First part, mini-games! They still need to be written but the basic idea of it is that it's light on the variables. Maybe two modifiable per game. Traveling is actually written! The character specifies the direction. 0-> distance. the dice is rolled. the number specified will spawn the creature. The items usable are bows, arrows, swords, magic and medicine. There are many types of these items except for arrows. I think the algorthm is experience * itemdamage is the damage you inflict. Armor is a divider so it will divide the enemy damage by whatever. I cant tell you about light and dark because it may spoil the game. Anyways it's like pokemon but darker. I will explain with more details and perhaps a demo when I read the source again (I haven't worked on it in a while.)
This game is to be written taking up equal to, or less than 26 variables.

wat?

26 variables is nothing. Even the 8-bit era used way more than that (the NES, for example, had 2K of on board RAM available... so even if you say 2 bytes=1 variable... that's still over 1000 vars... not counting CPU registers and constants in ROM)

Is there any reason for such an arbitrary variable count limit?

EDIT2:

TI-83, TI-83+ and TI-84

Do people actually still use those?

They were nice in like 1996... but nowadays a smart phone costs just about as much and does the same thing (only much, much better), and a bazillion other things.

EDIT:

The profits claim Charlotte will return and take over a certain set of land.

*prophets.

profit = acquiring more money than you spent
prophet = someone who speaks of God
Last edited on
The only mistake was my spelling and definition of prophets. The reason for the variable limit is that the TI-calcs can read/write only that much. They have lots of space but they use math variables, not computer variables. Math variables are represented by letters. Yes, I see many people use them daily actually. They are still incredibly popular now that I think about it.
If you mean you're going to program the game in the TI scripting language, I'd recommend against it.

I've tried to do that on my old TI-83+ way back in highschool (late 90's). It wasn't even really a game so much as it was like a maze that you walked through. There was like a key on the ground that you picked up and then you had to walk out the exit. That was all.. nothing to it.

It crawled. Like you had to wait a solid second after every single move (I think I was redrawing the entire screen which may have something to do with it... but IIRC I couldn't figure out a way around that).

The real games for the TI calcs went much faster. You could actually get realtime graphics on them. But those are pretty much all coded in assembly (where you have no such 26 variable limit).

Anyway... do it however you want. All I'm saying is... if you're limiting yourself to 26 vars, you're going to end up with a very limited game. And on top of that the game won't even run very well on the target limiting you to that var count.
The graphics are simple, when I first wrote it I found that I had open variables so I filled them in. It's text based but it uses the graphics screen. I think you just needed a little more practice because I find it quite smooth to write on.
Fair enough. It was like 15+ years ago. =)

Best of luck!
Thanks!
TI-83, TI-83+ and TI-84

Do people actually still use those?

That's when they came out??? wow here in MS we still use them for almost any math class in high school(idk about college) we almost worship them:P
They're a tiny, low res, black & white dot matrix screen that has motion bleed (like the original Gameboy). They just SCREAM "ancient, outdated technology".
Mats wrote:
"Gameplay is everything."

When you suggest a game idea, all that matters is the gameplay. You haven't mentioned anything about gameplay here, so how can we evaluate the game? This is just a basic outline of a story...

So true. Story means absolutely nothing. Hell look at Zelda and Mortal Kombat for examples of that. The Zelda series of games allegedly is split between three timelines and Mortal Kombat's combatant storylines have been screwed up throughout the series. None of that matters because the gameplay was solid and easy to entertain the players.
Yipper, it's not story but conflict. Gameplay has to be nice. Though the machine is outdated and whatnot, the machine is wonderful! I worship them! Tetris is ancient but it is still a wonderful game in today's standards.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.