What language is best for a beginner in programming?

Pages: 12
Hi! We are four students studying at School of Engineering, Jönköping University in Sweden. We are currently working on a project regarding three programming languages, Java, C# and Python. In this project we’re doing a survey on which one is the most suited for new programmers. We would appreciate if you took five minutes of your time to complete our survey.
Thanks in advance!

http://survey.rudbeck.nu/?l=en

Discussion: What language of the three do you think is the most suited for beginners and why?
Python, because it's easy to read and understand.
Python. Its syntax feels very natural.
It's dynamically typed, which is a great feature and its biggest drawback at the same time IMO (as far as beginners are concerned, this is great because they can focus on the logic of the program).
Python... because it's high-level language, and there's not much to it.
Python is by far the easiest of those three. It's very high level, syntax is easy to understand, it's a scripting language so no time needed to compile - just write and run, which makes it easier to test out functionality.
IMO all three are good beginner languages. Each have pros and cons, but I have to agree that Python is the easiest to learn.
Last edited on
+1 for python.
Last edited on
definitely python. It has straight forward, logical syntax, and it's good starting point for learning other languages. Also, it's just a very powerful tool.
I would say basic c, to start with, because its the least different to all other languages, once you get to pointeres and references and all that then teach the appropriate language, the problem with python is it wont be similar to any of the other languages anyway, c# there for has to be the easiest
It depends on how the beginner learns.

If they learn better from a "bottom up" style approach, then something like C would be better.

Or if they learn better from a "top down" style approach, then something like Python would be better.

Since all languages in the OP's post seem to be geared towards "top down" learners, my vote is also for Python, since it is the most abstracted of all the ones listed.
None of the above. If you haven't started programming by the time you're ten years of age........................fugetaboutit. It just won't stick. You'll feel like a complete doofus compared to the kids out there who can run circles around you. Wish I'd known about that sooner..................
jackbruns28 wrote:
None of the above. If you haven't started programming by the time you're ten years of age........................fugetaboutit. It just won't stick. You'll feel like a complete doofus compared to the kids out there who can run circles around you. Wish I'd known about that sooner..................

If you truly believe that then why are you even bothering learning it now? If you feel like a complete doofus compared to a kid, then it means you haven't been doing it long.

Fact is Python is one of the best beginner languages. C# and Java are also equally good for beginners, but Python has dynamic types so you don't have to stress over data types when coding (which can be a blessing and a curse at the same time).
Last edited on
If you truly believe that then why are you even bothering learning it now? If you feel like a complete doofus compared to a kid, then it means you haven't been doing it long.

Fact is Python is one of the best beginner languages. C# and Java are also equally good for beginners, but Python has dynamic types so you don't have to stress over data types when coding (which can be a blessing and a curse at the same time).

Because I was trying to find a new career path in something that looked interesting and challenging at the time. Not anymore. I can't afford to keep falling behind in my classes with projects that leave me staring at the monitor with a slack jawed "huh?" on my face all the time. It is what it is. I'm switching my major to Mechatronics instead. Trig wasn't nearly as difficult as this stuff.
Last edited on
You can change your major to cross dressing cheerleader if you want. Spouting off total bs as 'advice' is of no use to the OP and instantly made you a troll in my mind. After all, why would you be on a programming site if you are going to tell every beginner to give up on programming if they are over 10 years old?

I started when I was 13 years old, others started between 10 to 16 and are good at it. Some people can program, and some can't..it is just that simple. Those who can't can learn, but only if they are truly dedicated to wanting to be a programmer.
When i was 14 i wanted to play lead guitar in a metal band and played at bars/coffee houses and attempted to start bands, when i was 20 i wanted to be an electrician. When i turned around 24, i started playing with linux/c++/python.

If you haven't started programming by the time you're ten years of age........................fugetaboutit. It just won't stick.

thats a load of crap. I started at 24 years old. I spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours, tinkering with multiple programming languages, programming something one after the other trying to understand the basic concepts of programming. It didnt stick for a long time, but eventually i started getting the hang of it. Thus i find myself proof that this statement is complete bogus
Last edited on
yes the guy said something stupid but lets just ignored it and get back to the OP's question.

it has always bugged me how one person can say something stupid on a post and then the entire post goes from helping the OP to yelling at the person who said something stupid.

so please just go back to the OP's question
Technically this is the lounge. And the OP's request was to take his survey (which i did). Between those two, I dont think the OP cares about a little offspring discussion.
yes but it isn't only this topic. there are other topics where someone has said something and then the entire topic is practically changed to lets shout at this random
I would also find it rude if the OP was constantly responding with questions etc, to hijack his thread, but the OP hasnt been active in 6 days since his intial post.

To me, it is a method to help the OP, and correct the thought process of jackbruns28 or anyone reading that post. I mean it is a forum. The goal is to help everyone, right?
true
Pages: 12