Should I upload projects to Github now?

I'm interested in improving my programming skills so I can get a programming job. I majored in a STEM subject as an undergrad (not CS) and used C++ for a research project. I'll have to look thru my harddrive to see if I still have the code for that, as I worked on it a few years ago. I have also worked on a few projects on my own. One of them is a simulation of a children's card game (like pokemon) and is 2000 lines of code. I've also completed a very simple poker game that takes 200 lines of code. However, the codes for these projects are messy and need to be cleaned up. The card game also functions, but I need to add more components to it to more realistically simulate the actual game

Would these be sufficient to load onto Github and increase my chances of getting a job now? Or, if my code looks sloppy enough, will it hurt my chances of getting a job?
I've actually been contacted by recruiters for my GitHub profile alone, go for it. Don't forget to add a LICENSE file! If you do it via the web interface, GitHub has a bunch of license templates for the common licenses (including public domain/unlicense).
What's the difference between SourceForge and Github? Why would you commit to one over the other?
Last edited on
SF makes you fill out a form to be approved for the projects you want to add while Github doesn't require that. Otherwise I think the differences are subtle between the two.
Last edited on
SourceForge has been getting negative attention recently, something about them forcing people to use their software downloader or something. I've been avoiding it since they change the MinGW installer and tried to sneak in other stuff with it.

With GitHub, you get Pull Requests, Issues, Wiki, and GitHub Pages, as well as the support from many things that use the GitHub API (e.g. travis-ci).
Looking in the comments for FileZilla on SourceForge, I see that Windows installers since November have had malware embedded.
I think sourceforge may be falling ill to corruption... mabey...
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.