Nanotechnology & Computer - New World?

Pages: 12
This point is also incorrect and shows a misunderstanding of what the theory is. You can use the equations without understanding the theory just fine. You just Google the formula and plug the numbers or get a program that does this for you.

Sorry, that quote should have been in a separate line as I was more referring the programming example you showed. A person can understand what programming is, but would only gain an understanding of how to program by actually doing it. Now you do have a valid point about Googling formula, but that plays to the person not caring and doesn't prove they don't understand it.
Sorry, that quote should have been in a separate line as I was more referring the programming example you showed. A person can understand what programming is, but would only gain an understanding of how to program by actually doing it. Now you do have a valid point about Googling formula, but that plays to the person not caring and doesn't prove they don't understand it.

Perhaps programming is too general a term. A better programming analogy would be something like this:

How do you make a doubly linked list? / What is general relativity

And the kind of equivalent answer would be:

Make a list , make it doubly linked. / Warping of 4 dimensional spacetime due to gravity

Yeah ok that does answer the question on some level, but do they really understand?

Obviously the doubly linked list is a lot easier, but I couldn't come up with something off the top of my head that is so advanced in programming that has a suitable equivalent answer.
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
I couldn't come up with something off the top of my head that is so advanced in programming that has a suitable equivalent answer.

https://xkcd.com/1168/

Serious conversations bring out the clown in me.
Well since we are talking science and programming, you could use science fiction to stress the complexity of understanding general relativity and superstring theory. It would be the equivalent to a single programmer attempting to write Skynet.
Well since we are talking science and programming, you could use science fiction to stress the complexity of understanding general relativity and superstring theory. It would be the equivalent to a single programmer attempting to write Skynet.

I don't think it's impossible! It's just certainly not easy. Anyone with a decent grounding in physics and calculus would be able to learn relativity with a few months hard work. I wouldn't call that easy. However, superstring theory seems to hard for anyone, so that's maybe worthy of a Skynet comparison.

LOL @ Luc Lieber.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12