Game Challenge

Pages: 123
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Hello.
Recently I've been thinking of a small, personal challenge, and I decided to post it here in case anyone here wanted to do so. This challenge is just for fun, for experience, and it wont hurt your portfolio either. It isn't an organized contest, but I urge you to try to make the best project you can.

It's just a small paragraph, so I'm going to try to make it as flashy as I can.

THE CHALLENGE
Write a game in C (not C++!), using depreciated versions of pure OpenGL/DirectX (To add more barriers). Avoid using as many external libraries as possible. Make the game easily expandable (Like a modular design or add a scripting language).

RULES
- Must be in C (But you can add scripting languages)
- Limited to 5 external libraries (Other than OS-Native ones and graphics libraries.)
- Use depreciated versions of your library (optional)
- You may write tools in other languages. For example, I made a memory pool .dll in C++, and exposed it to C with a C interface. All the work behind the scenes is C++, but you access it via C.

Post results below (With or without source. If you don't use source, then prove it's your project somehow.)

Development tools can be written in other languages.
Last edited on
Thought you were fed up with this site and your account? Why would anyone in their right mind want to use an outdated library? There is really no advantage to this even for a challenge. Using old outdated libraries in a game I wouldn't think would make a difference on a portfolio as companies want examples that you know how to use recent tools, libraries, and languages.
depreciated
BHXSpecter wrote:
Thought you were fed up with this site and your account?
No, I said that I was done with this account, and maybe this site. Basically I meant I was going to make another account, and I might be leaving. I wasn't angry or anything, I just felt like I needed a fresh start.

Why would anyone in their right mind want to use an outdated library?
Because it's a challenge.

There is really no advantage to this even for a challenge.
It's called a challenge for a reason.

I wouldn't think would make a difference on a portfolio as companies want examples that you know how to use recent tools, libraries, and languages.
But it certainly wouldn't hurt, now would it? This would improve experience with the a language (and those derived from it), it shows game development experience, and it's fun.

So is anyone gonna do it?
Last edited on
@ResidentBiscuit
Yeah I know what he typed, but that can't be what he meant. It has to be a typo, as depreciated means you are making the value of something (usually money) go down. The requirements also make me know he meant deprecated because the library versions you are expected to use are several years old now, OGL2.1 and DX9. DX9 was released (counting updates) between 2002-2006 and OGL2 was released between 2004-2008 (2.1 specifically was released in 2006).
But it certainly wouldn't hurt, now would it?

Actually it could. We all have a finite amount of time, why would we waste it using a deprecated library?
Fine, changed it to optional. Now is does anyone want to take up the challenge?
This is a C++ forum, why would you make a challenge where using C++ is against the rules?
This challenge was to emulate the challenges John Carmack had when he was programming Quake.

You can program tools and libraries in C++ or any other language,(they don't count towards your external libraries count) but just the game has to be in C.

But if you really need too, you can use C++.
Last edited on
closed account (9wqjE3v7)
I don't get it, it is likely you'll have to unlearn all the habits picked from using deprecated libraries upon returning to the use of current ones, since a lot of the features have since (obviously) been removed or significantly updated.
Last edited on
John Carmack wasn't the only person to create a video game... He just spawned a new genre.
This challenge was to emulate the challenges John Carmack had when he was programming Quake.

Few problems with that, most obvious, we aren't Carmack. Second, the challenges he faced won't be the same, so you wouldn't be emulating anything.
I'm talking hardware limits. It wasn't as good as it was today.
That was my point. The hardware limits he had won't be the same as most new hardware should be able to handle older OGL/DX with little complaints.
Virtual machines?
VMs? VMs, C only, deprecated libraries, scripting (optional), tools (language optional). The challenge is slowly becoming a challenge to set up because VMs can be a pain to set up and can present problems on top of the emulated problems.
I'm not saying you have to use a virtual machine. I'm saying you can. It isn't in the challenge rules.

The point of this challenge is to see what you can make out of your element. I'd argue C is out of our element for all of us here.
Last edited on
Lumpkin wrote:
I'd argue C is out of our element for all of us here.

It may be out of your element, but it is foolish to assume C++ programmers don't know C. Most C++ programmers follow the logic of learning C before C++. Others learn C++ and then go back and learn C for different reasons. Some of the more experienced programmers on this site probably are well versed in Assembly, C, and C++ as well as other languages.
BHXSpecter, I know C. I have to use C to program my microcontroller. I don't use it on a day to day basis however, that's what I mean.

Most of your post is just irrelevant and derailing, I don't see the point of having a conversation with someone if they just nitpick at everything I say. If you're not going to say anything relevant to this topic, please refrain from replying. If you decide to take on the challenge, I'd be glad to discuss it with you.
Last edited on
So, was Lumpkin reported for stating the obvious?
Pages: 123