Resume

closed account (N36fSL3A)
I'd figure it's time for me to get code that I've written together to compile into some sort of resume I can send to business owners for when I get older.

I have some code, some written in C, some in C++ that I believe is worthy to put onto a GitHub repository. I've come here to ask what do employers look for when they try to decide whether a programmer is "worthy" or not so I can appropriately edit my projects to meet those standards.
Last edited on
what do employers look for when they try to decide whether a programmer is "worthy"
That depends on position you're applying for. If it is basic "code monkey" one (which is probably you will have to start with if you do not have specialized education) you are pretty much set with language syntax, standard library and widespread conventions knowledge. Some code will be fine if it is clean, descriptive, commented, formatted in consistent style: all of it is a must when working in team. And working, almost forgot about that. Also it will be good if you have commited in some recogniseable open-source projects.
What open source projects would you recommend?
Projects that interest you. What you would like to apply for.

If you like database programming, then do projects where you do database programming. Web dev, pick projects for web dev. If you don't know, then the last thing you need to worry about right now is a resume.

Also, consider whether you are going to bother with a BSc in CS or equivalent because some companies sadly do covet it and will ignore programmers if they don't have it.

Know multiple languages, and know several VERY well so you have a wider application base. If you only know one or two languages you are limited to a few companies.
I'd probably like to apply for a Game Engine programming job. I can't seem to find any promising Quake Engine 2/3 mods, so I'm pretty much out of luck so far. I've found ZEQ2-Lite, but that project is written in C and I'm trying to do some OOP stuff now.

I might try half life 1 modding.
Last edited on
Can anyone recommend projects for me?
Personally, I think you are way too young to be worrying about a resume. When it is time for you to write one you most likely wont be putting projects you are doing now, assuming you continue coding. I don't think interviewers want multi-page resumes listing every project you have ever worked on, just put your best work. My suggestion is keep coding, and start keeping projects online (Github, bitbucket, etc...).
@Naraku

Any specific projects do you think I should be focusing on?
I say just focus on projects you like and have fun. You can try and meld yourself into whatever an employer wants you to be later on.

I actually envy you because It turns out that with my schedule in college, I barely have any time to sleep, let alone work on personal projects.
Last edited on
Fredbill wrote:
Any specific projects do you think I should be focusing on?

Here is what I was told in college, HRs at companies I applied for, other programmers, and game designers...."Stop worrying about details and just program. It doesn't matter what you program, so long as you are programming. If you focus on specifics you may miss out on what your field of interest has to offer because you get tunnel vision."
Kinda pointless to worry about a resume at your age. You can't even be legally hired yet. When you get to nearing the end of high school, start putting one together. If you go to college, you'll be updating it each year if things go right for you.

As BHX Specter said, don't worry about specific stuff to work on. Just write code. I've been told the same thing by recruiters that he has heard - it doesn't matter what you make, just make something. Chances are you won't be making anything in your hobby time that will directly apply to a career position anyways. They expect you to be flexible enough to handle anything new.

Besides having technical skills, you need personal skills as well. It's easy to find someone who understands how software design and programming works. It's harder to find someone who has that, and the ability to effectively communicate with both technical and non-technical people. My advice, take all the communication classes you can. You will be infinitely more attractive to employers that way.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.