cplusplus.com Wishlist Thread, March 2014

Pages: 123
TIM wrote:
Anyone with thoughts about the moderators?

The forum already has mini-moderators: high post count members can remove new members' posts by reporting them.

That said, personally I'm against having "true" moderators.
I'm sure twicker is busy enough as it is, without having to oversee the actions of moderators.

And power corrupts, it is said. Or at the very least it can bring out the worse in a person. For example I'd become even more insufferable if I had a banhammer to swing.

TIM wrote:
Not to mention signatures (limited to 4 lines), and reputation counts.

Personally I'm against signatures and avatars. In the end they would just add eye-garbage.

About reputation counts, I think simple statistics in the user profile would be cleaner:

User name: X [Send PM]
Number of posts: 302
Number of threads: 50

Posts distributed as:
    50.3% Lounge
    45.5% Beginners
     4.2% Windows Programming

Number of published articles: 0

... and so on...

Last edited on
Hire some from StackOverflow and you will never have to answer a question again.

signatures (limited to 4 lines)
Ugh. I hate these. Most of time there is some random crap written here and I grow tired reading it over 10 times per page.

reputation counts.
I have mixed feelings about this one. It will probably be abused. Also there would be amusing sight of 10k users with 0 reputation :)
Catfish666 wrote:
I'm sure twicker is busy enough as it is, without having to oversee the actions of moderators.

Well if twicker was very careful about who was allowed to be a moderator, and they only had simple authority to move posts to the appropriate forum to start with, then he wouldn't have to oversee them.

MiiNiPaa wrote:
Hire some from StackOverflow and you will never have to answer a question again.

Well perhaps not as extreme as that.

MiiNiPaa wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this one. It will probably be abused. Also there would be amusing sight of 10k users with 0 reputation :)

LinuxQuestions has reputation counts, and they seem to work quite well there, but there are rules: one can't give out reputation "willy nilly". There is also a "Did you find this post helpful" count. And yes, there could be some amusing stats.
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Shoutbox was mentioned but I would like one. Just for hanging around.
Maybe chatrooms.

I'm against signatures, but for sites that have them I use the same one:
"Through vengence I was born.Through war I was trained.Through love I was found. Through death I was released. Through release I was given a purpose."

I agree with Catfish666 on this one, though, signatures and avatars just clutter the posts and aren't needed.

Problem is that it would have to be extremely limited moderator powers as it is impossible to split your emotions from the job.

As for reputation points and such, that has been beat to death already I think. Stats in profile is a nice twist, but again, just like post count, reputation points are misleading. There is a member that is here and on GD.Net, while I don't know what his rep is here, but on GD it is -358 while my rep here is bad, but on GD I have a rep of 609.
I like the extreme simplicity of this forum, I am against anything like signatures and avatars. Seriously, a username should be enough to identify you. If people want to know more about you, they can read your bio on your profile.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
@BHXSpecter
The lack of spaces after periods is making self-diagnosed OCD go crazy.

L B wrote:
I like the extreme simplicity of this forum, I am against anything like signatures and avatars. Seriously, a username should be enough to identify you. If people want to know more about you, they can read your bio on your profile.
I completely agree with you.
Fredbill wrote:
The lack of spaces after periods is making self-diagnosed OCD go crazy.

Then URLs must play hell on you. GD.Net isn't a sentence but the shorthand for gamedev.net as most of the users and moderators on that site refer to it as. Also, I pray you are joking about self-diagnosing yourself with OCD.
closed account (18hRX9L8)
I like the idea of having reputation points (or even just the number of "useful" posts). Also, there should be an API for this site so mobile apps can get search results, profiles, articles, and answered / unanswered posts in minified JSON. I'm ready to make a iPhone app for this site if there is an API available.

Also, API could be extended to include logging in / out of users, creating / editing / answering / deleting posts, creating / editing / deleting articles, and editing user information.

Or at least make the site more desktop and mobile friendly. Make the table stretch out 100% of leftover screen and make the text bigger on desktops and make the content-view scale 1.0 and make the website responsive and text bigger for mobile phones so I don't have to keep in zooming on all the time...
Last edited on
BHXSpecter wrote:
Then URLs must play hell on you. GD.Net isn't a sentence but the shorthand for gamedev.net as most of the users and moderators on that site refer to it as. Also, I pray you are joking about self-diagnosing yourself with OCD.
While urls don't mark the end of a sentence. It's different.

usandfriends wrote:
Or at least make the site more desktop and mobile friendly. Make the table stretch out 100% of leftover screen and make the text bigger on desktops and make the content-view scale 1.0 and make the website responsive and text bigger for mobile phones so I don't have to keep in zooming on all the time...
Don't touch desktop settings, and this site is already mobile enough.
Last edited on
@Fredbill
Self diagnosing yourself with OCD means nothing and makes you look like you are picking a disorder to get sympathy. I've never heard of OCD for punctuation. OCD is usually a way of easing anxiety and stress brought on by unreasonable fears. I remember reading a story about two different women, one woman had OCD where she had this fear that if she stepped on a crack in a step her mother would die. The other with OCD had to do every ritual (brushing her hair, teeth, cleaning, washing her hands, etc.) a set number of times (think it was 30) or she was worried something bad would happen to those she loved for not doing it 30 times.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ocd/basics/definition/con-20027827

Last edited on
Stop derailing the thread, BHX Specter and Fredbill.
OCD is usually a way of easing anxiety and stress brought on by unreasonable fears.
Okay well I don't have any real anxiety or stress.

I just feel the urge to rearrange everything to be perfectly even, if it isn't then I freak out.
My apologies Catfish666. I wish there was a way to permanently ban a member for good that has been banned numerous times (as one comes to mind) so twicker wouldn't have to be on guard for them to come back all the time. Though, I guess that wouldn't really be a general topic for the website would it?
Catfish666 wrote:
Stop derailing the thread, BHX Specter and Fredbill.
Did not see that (look at the post time of my message).

Sorry about that.
BHX Specter wrote:
I wish there was a way to permanently ban a member for good that has been banned numerous times (as one comes to mind) so twicker wouldn't have to be on guard for them to come back all the time. Though, I guess that wouldn't really be a general topic for the website would it?

Is that a suggestion for improving the site and the forum?
If yes, you have got to be more specific than that... maybe we could discuss a vote-to-ban system (with all the abuse caveats)?
The forum. Just frustrating to see how many times twicker has banned a person and they seem to always find ways around the ban to come and be annoying again. Though, maybe we should also discuss some sort of system to make it so if you close your account your IP is banned for a month each time (yes I know I did it). The reason I brought this up is because as pointed out in previous threads, closing the account causes a lot of confusion for future users that find the threads so put something in place as a deterrent from closing accounts.
If he did not want people to close their account he would not give them that option.

Just frustrating to see how many times twicker has banned a person and they seem to always find ways around the ban to come and be annoying again
I'm sure twicker could ip-ban a user if he felt threatened. Twicker allows users to create new accounts after bans. It isn't a limitation.
He is ip-banning the users, but they are using proxy servers to get around the ban. Also, the option to close your account is there for if you are leaving for good. So the diva tantrum I threw when I closed my account and rejoining a few days later should have consequences as should others.
BHXSpecter wrote:
He is ip-banning the users, but they are using proxy servers to get around the ban.
Proof?

I do not see in any way how this would benefit the community. We're doing fine with dealing with trolls.
Pages: 123