Computer Engineering Major?

Hey everyone!

New to this site, and I've got to say it's awesome. I am currently taking an Intro to C++ class as a transfer requirement for electrical engineering, but I am absolutely LOVING this class. I have never had any experience with programming, yet alone interest until now. As a result, I am really curious if computer engineering would be right for me. Like I said, I have absolutely no idea about the world of programming, but I genuinely love this subject! What would I be getting myself into? Is it too early to determine? And what would the difference between a computer science and a computer engineering major be? Some input would be MUCH appreciated!

The best way to tell the difference is to compare the requirements and read the descriptions of the two majors offered at your school.

At my school, the Computer Engineer has to take most all of the same undergraduate CS requirement: programming I, II, IIII, driscrete Math for CS, Assembly, as well as two upper division CS courses, Analysis of Algorithms I, and Operating Systems. Plus they take most all of the EE courses that the EE majors take.

I would recommend it over EE if you like CS at all. Almost all electronic devices now days have computers in them or they interface with computers. Plus you would have a good shot of landing a job as a software engineer as well as in electrical engineering.

I was a CSE major which is like a hybrid CS and CE major, but I am planning to switch to just CS because I like theory and software more than hardware. CSE and CE have a lot more requirements as well so you might struggle to graduate in 4 years and be required to take a lot of units each term.

Basically CS seams to offer a lot more freedom than CE. It's not an engineering major, so you don't need to take as much math and physics and you don't have to take chemistry.
And instead of having a long list of required courses, you might have a long list of optional courses.

For me the EE and hardware courses I have taken were more difficult and less enjoyable than the CS courses I've taken. The homework was always very time consuming and tedious, and the tests were speed tests with no calculators allowed; the kind where almost nobody can finish the whole test and almost everyone would fail without a curve.

Many others think CS is harder and less enjoyable. For some people CS theory is very challenging. Some of these courses you basically understand it or you don't and if you don't you fail. Some assignments might be graded on the scale of full credit or no credit and half or more of the class gets a zero and there might only be a few of these that make up most of your grade.

CS courses will challenge you in a different way. You have to think; not quickly, but deeply. If you like thinking deeply about problems and coming up with creative solutions then CS might be better for you. If you like learning loads of technical information, mapping out and trying to follow complicated systems, and you love physics, then CSE might be better for you.

With CS you also usually have the option to specialize hence the longer list of optional courses. For example, you can specialize in databases, systems programming, graphics and visualization, security, computer networks, etc.

Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.