SFML- Space Dev - Join us!

I would post this in jobs, but I felt doing so would be wrong as I'm not offering any pay in this. No money != a job, No money = fun project.

The game itself is really minimal, and I'm going to scrap it when I get back to it because of reasons. Currently I'm working on the Level Editor for it. (I was originally working on the game itself, then realized there wasn't any way to test things without levels)

Currently, it's a team of 4. No, not a team of 4 coders. I'm the only coder on the team right now (and I'm the owner of the project itself)

1 coder
1 artist
1 musician (joined not that long ago)
1 tester/to be level designer (just joined today)

I'm thinking having just one more coder would be really helpful. Here's some info that actually matters to you

On the Level Editor
1.) The graphics are done with SFML entirely, no direct openGL
2.) Currently only thinking about targeting Windows
3.) Already pretty fleshed out
Look here - http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=14577.0
Note I've gotten more done with it since then

The game itself will be restarting fresh, so it's up in the air

Some warnings: I'm not a C++ guru, this is my first actual project with SFML

So yes there is bad code, there are stupid/evil things I've done. Currently I'm going around trying to make sure it's a little sensible. I'm getting everything well commented, and fixing some dumb mistakes. There's no point in lying about it, it's no where near a perfectly designed program.

Skills you must have!
-----------------------
Decent understanding of SFML
Good understanding of C++
A lot of patience
A burning passion to communicate with other people on the team

Another note
------------
If working with young people bothers you, then don't concern yourself with this. Yes, we're all young, 16-18 years old. No offense is taken if this bothers you, just a valid concern I felt I should bring up.

Anyways, if someone would be interested in working on this project with us, then please do PM me so we can discuss it!
The game itself is really minimal, and I'm going to scrap it when I get back to it because of reasons.

Wait, what? We're joining a project you're going to scrap? And the reason for scrapping is "reasons"?
Last edited on
@Mats

I didn't explain "reasons" because I didn't want to make this post too long. Those reasons are mostly because I'm very dissatisfied with its design. I wrote the very base of the game quite a while ago. I was much less adept with programming in general, and wasn't even using C++11 at the time.

You wouldn't just be joining a project that's being scrapped. Yes, I know that sounds like a "No thank you!" proposition. If someone joined right now, I wouldn't have them work on the game yet, we'd still be at the Level Editor. The Level Editor is not being scrapped, and it already has many of its needed features.

I wouldn't look at joining the scrapped game as a "Joining Nothing" project, I'd like to look at it as "Chance for much input you have!" project! Gotta be positive with me here mate ;)
What type of game is this? What's the premise? Long post, with nothing at all about the game, other than it's called "Space". So I guess I can assume it at least takes place in space?
@ResidentBiscuit

Sorry, I guess I was assuming information would be explained by follow the link to the sfml topic. That doesn't explain anything really either though, once again I was just blabbing about the level editor.

Yes, it is indeed a Space themed game. Although, it's not entirely in space. Levels will also be designed to take place on a planet, not just deep space.

Two vehicle types - Spaceships, tanks.

The storyline is pretty thin right now, and to be honest I'm not going to share anything about it with people not involved in the development... yet. It's the kind that could sort of fit a Star Trek story though.

Unlike old space shooters it isn't just traveling by the y axis. The maps go by 100x100, 200x200, or 400x400 tiles. (right now, may add larger size) and ships can travel in all 2d directions. (The simulation of "3d" space is going to be pretty minimal) The maps aren't 2.5d, it's directly top down view

The level editor isn't some super general purpose engine. It is being designed specifically to fit the game. Random people will be able to make their own levels with custom tiles, ships etc. mostly with ease.

The game will mainly be a "shoot everything to hell" type game. Yeah, it's not going to be that complex, just a nice stress reliever ;)

Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.