Community Project #2 Arena

Hello,

I'm well aware of the ChessPlusPlus project that's underway on the community's Github repository, and I want to give an alternative to that project, called ArenaPlusPlus. It's your average arena shooter.

GAMEPLAY DETAILS:
The point of the game is to defeat all your opponents. You should aim to keep your kills high, while your deaths low. Straightforward goal, no real thinking involved (Well, maybe a little).

You spawn with no weapons except for your fists. Weapons are scattered around the map in random locations, your goal is to try to scavenge the best ones while not being killed in the process.

While free for all will be the primary game mode, there will be several alternative gamemodes, such as Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatch, etc.

The graphics of the game will be top-down and 2D for simplicity.

TECHNICAL DETAILS:

The project's name needs to be decided by the community, since it's our game. (Maybe ArenaPlusPlus?)

I have a suggestion on how this project should be tackled (please suggest more if you feel your way is better)

The programmers should be split up into 3 teams (You definitely aren't limited to these; these are just to give people a general idea of what part of the project you're most adept at.):

Network Programers - These people work on the server and the network aspects of the client. They provide a layer over the Networking API for the engine programmers

Engine/Tool Programmers - These people work on the engine. They create a layer over graphics, audio, input, etc. They also create networking interfaces for the scripting language and interfaces for the rest of the engine. All/most development tools are programmed by them.

Gameplay Programmers - These people do all the scripting and actual game programming for the client. They play test and notify the other teams of any engine bugs.

(Minor)Designers - Since this is really a subset of Gameplay Programmers, it isn't considered a full team itself. This (semi)team creates levels, new weapons, etc. They also balance the game.

-----

A few things that we need to decide on:
 - A better name than 'ArenaPlusPlus'
 - Which library to use? SFML or SDL?
 - Scripting language support (Lua? Python? Ruby? Squirrel? No language? You can decide)
 - Art (Programmer art? Get an artist?)
 - Weapon arsenal
 - Platforms to support
 - Server hosting
 - Net library (SFML, SDL_net, Rakent)
 - Standard IDE for the project

CONTRIBUTORS

Let me know if you want to do this, so I can update the contributors section with your names. Any aspect of the project can be changed to fit the community's wants.

Please notify me of any typos.
Last edited on
reserved
reserved
reserved
You are going to have to give much much more information for this project to pick up contributors. There have been plenty of other suggestions for community projects but the reason most of them didn't get up and running is because there wasn't enough information given and planning put into it.

With a personal project or even a small team project you can usually jump into the coding without having a good plan set in place and a lot of information available. Though this drastically changes when you aretalking about community projects because you need to communicate exactly what you are thinking to others so they know what the project is what it will entail if they can help and stuff like that.

So I would suggest posting as much information about the game as you can. I mean be detailed and go into specifics. Basically give a broad outline of the whole game. Just saying build a arena game with a server is no where near enough. Of course once you have these details outlined other members can discuss other ideas and improvements but you need them base details first.

Also while not needed it greatly helps to have a few members be in charge and to determine where the project goes. It helps greatly with organization and everyone who wants to contribute knows who to talk to and who can answer questions.

Anyways just a few tips and might be interested in contributing once more information is available.
Interesting idea thus far, but I agree with CodeGazer. Not enough information to attract many. The only main issue I had was this line:

Avilius wrote:
The game will be in 2D to attract more people.

I don't think there is anything that says 2D or 3D attracts more than the other. What attracts them is good gameplay. To this day I still play Perfect Dark and Goldeneye on N64 because the gameplay is good.
CodeGazer wrote:
-snip-
I understand. Once I get a bit more time I'm going to update the topic. This was a minimal post to get the idea out there. I was planning on appending more onto the topic later on.

BHXSpecter wrote:
I don't think there is anything that says 2D or 3D attracts more than the other. What attracts them is good gameplay. To this day I still play Perfect Dark and Goldeneye on N64 because the gameplay is good.
That isn't what I meant. I meant to attract more programmers. 3D games have much higher knowledge requirements than 2D.
Last edited on
Avilius wrote:
That isn't what I meant. I meant to attract more programmers. 3D games have much higher knowledge requirements than 2D.

I was confused. Thought you meant it was going to be 2D to attract more players because of you going into talking about the team being 3 teams (Networking, Engine/Tools, and Gameplay).
I can see how you could get confused. I'll get around to re-wording that. Are you thinking about helping development?
Last edited on
Did some touching up on the OP.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.