• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Trying to find JSON parser for JavaScrip

Trying to find JSON parser for JavaScript

I am trying to port a project to JavaScript but am running to a lot of issues due to the weird way that JavaScript works and the way JSON is converted to JavaScript. In particular, of all the methods and libraries I have found to parse JSON in JavaScript, they all fail a simple test - all the elements in this array must have distinct types (or be able to identify the original distinct types):
[
    "",
    {},
    [],
    false,
    null
]
Many parsers cannot give me the difference between 0 and 0.0, and some cannot tell the difference between {} and [], and some just give the JavaScript literal null for null instead of a wrapper. These are all important to being able to port my project - does anyone know of a good JavaScript library that fits these requirements? I keep coming across ones that are no good. If from any given node I can access the parent node, that's a helpful bonus, otherwise I can replicate the behavior.

I have very little experience in JavaScript and writing my own parser seems both redundant and difficult :\

Note: the project I am porting uses a C parser that, as you might guess, meets all the requirements.

EDIT: I don't need (or want) a 1:1 mapping of JSON to JavaScript objects. Wrapper objects would be preferable, but all the libraries I can find try to map 1:1.
Last edited on
are you saying you want a translator of json to javascript or that you want a javascript parser that creates asts for json?
I was under the impression that by putting the word "parser" in the title of this topic, I could somehow convey what I wanted to those who read the title.

EDIT: Sorry for being rudely sarcastic, I'm not liking JavaScript and I keep finding more reasons to dislike the way it works. I didn't mean to take it out on you, but honestly I thought I was clear.
Last edited on
but am running to a lot of issues due to the weird way that JavaScript works and the way JSON is converted to JavaScript
Wrapper objects would be preferable, but all the libraries I can find try to map 1:1.

typically parsers dont translate and thats what it sounded like you were trying to do (or at the very least interface it). they generate tokens that are later translated.
Well, then I guess "parser" is another one of those words that used to mean one thing but now has a completely different meaning.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.