• Forum
  • Lounge
  • I have to do a presentation on any subje

I have to do a presentation on any subject in programming to my foundation year

So the presentation is for english speaking, part of a study skill package, Im thinking the foundation year was a really good idea in the end if any brit student asks if its worth skipping, they teach you how to be a student which is gonna be helpful.

Anyway I have to deliver a presentation and these guys REALLY DID NOT EXPECT SO MUCH PROGRAMMING IN THEIR COMPUTER SCIENCE COURSE!!So I thought I could help them a bit on programming, with it being my only strength and their only weakness.

Any way ou guys get gripes, what could I do to really help beginner coders with? It was gonna be on re-writeable code but thats way too short an explanation, any ideas? if its good I will explain it to fifty people!

IDEA 1:

They are stuck on their coursework which is two basic 2d games, a shooting gallery and a traffic simulator so I was thinking of explaining a good basic framework for a 2d game, what do you think I should include?

I have the idea to explain that input update display rule, I have forgotten what its called.

then I will explain a main loop and what can go before and after, this has to be in pseudo code.

I will explain the order in which things need to be displayed in the loop and why its such a tidy plan

then a move function in enemy and player classes both with Cartesian and polar
movement

then bounds checking and then the pseudo code for enemy and player collision checking.

for some reason I have to explain the advantages and disadvantages, I then have to go on to sell it as an idea.

This has to go on for six minutes,
> what could I do to really help beginner coders with?
teach them to debug, starting with `how to describe the problem'

> I have the idea to explain that input update display rule, I have forgotten what its called.
in that case, unless you describe the object, it's hard to understand what you are talking about.

> This has to go on for six minutes,
that's a really short amount of time.
debugging :D thats a good one
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.