Post your best C++ jokes, poems, stories, etc.

Pages: 1... 456
But the HTML "Hex" colour codes I was referring to use RGB; you said it yourself.
HTML colors are in RGB format:

#RGB
#RRGGBB

That's what I meant, perhaps I worded it wrongly and you misinterpreted it?

What kind of math are they teaching these days....

That which has nothing to do with bases and computer science. Bare in mind that I'm 15; and haven't gotten into numeric bases at all. In fact I'd probably say I'm (sadly) the most knowledgeable person in my school regarding numeric bases... including the teachers. If I asked my maths teacher how to convert between base-10 and base-18 he wouldn't understand. And my old physics teacher didn't understand binary at all:
Him: "Binary is the digital format; it's a lot of 1s and 0s put together. 1 in binary is 1 in "normal numbers", 2 is 11, 3 is 111, etc." (that's what he said)
Me: "Actually 3 in binary is 11 and 2 is 10"
Him: "Oh, I didn't know that..."

Admittedly I know virtually nothing about various numeric systems; but he's meant to be a teacher!

Would I have been right had I said that the amount of bits has to be divisible by 8 or does that depend on the implementation in the CPU? Because I wanted to say that as well but I wasn't sure if it was right.

I think I also get to tell the ICT teachers, who are meant to be good at this stuff, and who put up posters saying "8 bits = 1 byte, 1024 bytes = 1Kb" that
1. 8 bits is an octet and
2. 1Kb is 1 Kilobits....

KiloBytes has a capital B usually (although I think that's probably for clarity... but naming convetions should be stuck to IMO). They did that in PC World too... But I can't go trolling them, I want a job there.
Last edited on
To be fair, asking a physics teacher about binary is rather inappropriate. Electronics and programming, maybe math, teachers are in much better conditions of answering those questions.

I think I also get to tell the ICT teachers, who are meant to be good at this stuff, and who put up posters saying "8 bits = 1 byte, 1024 bytes = 1Kb" that
1. 8 bits is an octet and
2. 1Kb is 1 Kilobits....
The distinctions between byte and octet and between b and B are only relevant when avoiding confusion.
It's one thing if you find that the person teaching is a complete moron and you could make a better job, and it's perfectly acceptable to contradict them as often as possible (as long as you can prove to everyone else that you're right, obviously) as punishment for taking up space, but not everyone is like that. If you're going to correct someone, do it because you want to be helpful, not because you want to make them look bad.
C++ booklist:

Essential C++
Effective C++
Exceptional C++
Efficient C++

Works in progress:
Excellent C++
Enigmatic C++
Eager C++
Eatable C++
Entertaining C++
Elite C++
Endurable C++
Enchanting C++
Elfin C++
Excited C++
Erect C++
Erotic C++
Extreme C++
Exultant C++
Erratic C++
Evil C++
This is always a hilarious waste of a few hours: http://99-bottles-of-beer.net/

Be sure to check Perl among others. Brainfuck is there too.
Question : To be or not to be.
Answer : 0xFF

To be fair, asking a physics teacher about binary is rather inappropriate.

He was talking about it already; something to do with how digital CDs and the internet work. The subject was brought about from fiber optics.

The... shall we say, idiots, (i.e. people that never listen and constantly talk over the teacher such that you can never hear a damn thing they say) got him into it. Unfortunately I did no work in year 8 (had this crazy Iranian teacher; while he was quite nice and somewhat funny, he wasn't strict enough. In fact there's a video of him dancing in class I can try to find if you want) and as a result was placed in a lower set than I probably should have been; and am reaping the benefits :(

It's one thing if you find that the person teaching is a complete moron and you could make a better job, and it's perfectly acceptable to contradict them as often as possible (as long as you can prove to everyone else that you're right, obviously) as punishment for taking up space, but not everyone is like that. If you're going to correct someone, do it because you want to be helpful, not because you want to make them look bad.

That's a very moralistic statement. But also a good point. However I think the reason is probably because I hate when people state something as fact and it's totally wrong. I know I do it plenty of times (if I did it just there -- stated that as fact when it wasn't, and therefore I didn't state anything as fact when it wasn't, which causes that statement to be false, which by expansion causes it to be true -- OH MY GOD PARADOX) however when it's something where that person is meant to be teaching correct information... I find that a little silly, myself.

The distinctions between byte and octet and between b and B are only relevant when avoiding confusion.

I thought you said that a byte wasn't necessarily 8 bits? And an "octet" has to be 8 bits -- it's in the word "oct".

If anyone does want to watch the video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw3Esx7CMbE
don't ask about the music; I had nothing to do with it. I was probably not even in the school at that time, or if I was, I was in year 7.
Also don't ask about the stupid comments like "DOWNO LOLOLOL I'M CLEVARRZ". I don't have a clue what a "DOWNO" is but I think it has something to do with Pokemon.

Oh and also if you want to know, this "Mr. Butler" was some guy who taught me math. He used to talk to himself (literally having conversations on his own) and apparently he was fired for headbutting someone. I doubt it's true though.
Last edited on
I know I do it plenty of times however when it's something where that person is meant to be teaching correct information... I find that a little silly, myself.
Anyone can misspeak, make a typo, or even just forget or get mixed up. Pointing out minuscule or irrelevant mistakes is just annoying.
And remember that trolling is a art. When you think you're trolling, you just might be getting trolled.

Yes, a byte may have more or less bits than 8, but making the distinction is only relevant when you could encounters two bytes of different sizes in a short span of time (e.g. when discussing two different architectures). It's why operating systems don't report a 220 bits file as containing 1 megaoctet.
Ah, ok. I see now.
trolling is a art

Don't you mean trolling is an art?
*Coolface*
He counter-trolled my counter troll!

When you think you're trolling, you just might be getting trolled.

This is going to turn into some network of trolling if we don't stop it now xD
Last edited on
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 1... 456