Building a computer?

So... first, I am gonna list my specs. I already know it is pretty good, just getting an opinion on it.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Six Core 3.5ghz
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FD6300WMHKBOX-FX-6300-6-Core-Processor/dp/B009O7YORK/?tag=li-lvlcap-20

GPU: EVGA GTX 750 TI 2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487025&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=5961731&SID=0

Motherboard: Asus AMD 970
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-M5A97-R2-0-SATA-Motherboard/dp/B008V9959O/?tag=li-lvlcap-20

RAM: 8gb DDR3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231544&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=5961731&SID=0

The rest is just the case and power supply and HDD (7200rpm 1TB)

Now: for the big question: I am using a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium that my cousin used for his custom build, as he got it from a neighbor. Can I use that, or is there some stupid license thing Microsoft has? Any help, appreciated.
It's probably a cracked version if you are all using the same serial number which would be against their license. Unless he has a copy of windows 7 that is meant for multiple pcs (think its called the volume license) which is probably unlikely.
Microsoft TOS wrote:
2. INSTALLATION A ND USE RIGHTS.

a. One Copy per Computer. Except as allowed in Section 2 (b) below, you may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

b. Family Pack. If you are a “Qualified Family Pack User”, you may install one copy of the software marked as “Family Pack” on three computers in your household for use by people who reside there. Those computers are the “licensed computers” and are subject to these license terms. If you do not know whether you are a Qualified Family Pack User, visit go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?Linkid=141399 or contact the Microsoft affiliate serving your country.

c. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.

d. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the
software at a time.

e. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and
64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.

TLDR; no
On a seperate note, don't skimp on the CPU. You'll regret it later since AMD won't have a new CPU for at least another year.
Really? I think it is a pretty good cpu. I am not building a supercomputer, so I dont need 8 cores in it; 6 will do for me... unless it doesn't fit the rest of my pc?
And, for the answerers to my question, that sucks because I would assume it is a cracked version. What would it do if I used a regular version? Would it have an error message when loading the cd in the pc?
I mean, you can try. There aren't many articles on how people have their key voided. I'm not really one to try and cheat any system. If the system is wrong, you should fix the system, not try and work around it.

EDIT: Also, that's what everyone says about hardware... then they realize its the bottleneck to that extra dozen frames and they kick themselves for not spending the extra $30 ~ $50 which is relatively cheap compared to the other components.
Last edited on
Yeah, I guess It'd be less risk just to buy my own. My friend's dad has a friend who works in the Windows department of Microsoft, so I could just see if he could get him to ask his friend to get me a discount.

I am kind of skeptical about your opinion of my processor. I think it matches everything well. Six cores seems pretty adequate, and I have already exceeded my budget by like, $50. Unless you really know it is a bad decision. I am more into the software of a computer myself, hardware I am not to amazing in that field - I know the basics, but I can't really tell the advanced stuff. My parts were all ready to order and all and then someone told me about sockets in the motherboard and processor so I figured I'd go the extra mile and try and make it better anyway. What is wrong with it? I mean not to annoy you, but can you tell me what is wrong with it before I owe my parents more money for this computer?
You can install windows 7 with a cracked serial but if you try and update it/activate it you will have a black desktop and an annoying message popping up every 2 minutes saying it is not valid. Same with if you try and put your windows on multiple computers. You can only have your windows on one computer at a time.
There are ways to completely remove the need for validation but beyond the realm of this discussion. This isn't a warez forum and you should not ignore the terms of use when using software.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Your ram is out of stock just so you know...
I'd go AMD for graphics card, with an AMD processor.
@Fredbill I could always find 8gb of ram anyway... no big deal.
Just wanted to point out that not all hardware vendors are the same and they really do matter if you want a quality product. Don't buy no name brand hardware if you want it to last and be of good quality.

Not saying you are making bad choices (Actually you picked some great vendors for your build) just wanted to point out if you already didn't know that who's name is on the hardware actually does matter.

Best of luck with your build.

P.S. Put some thought into your case also. It is actually quite important. If you are doing air cooling find one with very good airflow. Most just think a case is just a case and just pick a cheap one.
Yeah I got a case with 3 fans here is the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

people say its good airflow and thanks!
I used to have a box fan duct tapped to the side of my full-size tower. Overclocked .7 ghz and running under load at 30 Celsius.
I know I'm late to the game here but regarding airflow, just make sure you fans are blowing in complimentary directions. Either back to front, or front to back. I can't even count how many custom builds I've seen where people have all of their fans blowing in, or all of their fans blowing out. There are also threads online where total morons are arguing which of those two configurations are better. Remember that air cooling only works when fresh air is being moved over the hot bits at the fastest rate possible.
Thanks for all the advice everybody! It all really helps!
Cheraphy, same here, I used to have a full blown air condition unit sit next to it. Would lower temps by a huge amount. I wonder why cases never come with that build in? ;)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.